Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

HR Event Site Launch & Land UPDATE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 24, 22 9:06 am    HR Event Site Launch & Land UPDATE! Reply with quote

The message below was posted on Facebook Hood River Kiteboarders Group:

Your humble HR Event Site host here. Breaking my FB embargo to bring you this important message. The Port of Hood River graciously opened the grass for launching due to high water and a buried sandbar. The kiting area was crazy over the holiday weekend (yes, Monday was a holiday and the crowd proved it). It mostly worked well and most people were cool and cooperative. There are always a few who were not. Scorpios never forget! 😁 But I do forgive.
We’ve come up with a system that works … hopefully. I say “we” because the locals and regulars have had great ideas. Suffice to say we have designated areas for pumping, rigging and launching and landing. Come check it out and please follow protocol. Or feel free to swim out to the sandbar. 🙄
To the point: I’m looking for volunteers to help launch and land kites and spread the word and good vibes. People like Tommy Fliss, Mike Mike Gibbens and “Sarge” Tony have stepped up but we need more people to volunteer in shifts to help out. You get a Port hat (while supplies last) and orange vest and Slingshot Kite will throw in a tshirt. DM me, reply here or look me up at the ES if interested. And thanks to everyone for helping out.

I'd like to add, please don't tie your poor dog to a tree/post and go out and sesh.

coup

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 24, 22 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

We all thank you and wonder: what's your favorite libation?

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
260 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 24, 22 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

Absolutely! The volunteers rocked it yesterday 6/23 at the Event Site! It was CHAOS and the few that stepped up, made it way more manageable! Thank you to all of you that were doing the good work!

A few take aways that I have:
Read the signs!
Look at the giant arrows painted on the grass!
Talk to people about where to rig and launch and land.
Slow down, take a breath, and ask someone what's up.

It's not rocket science but the froth meter is high and people get tunnel vision and reasoning abilities get lost.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 24, 22 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

A few years back Sarge was helping out and politely told a kiter who came in to land way too far upwind about the protocol (arrows painted clearly, mind you), to which the kiter replied, "I'm a local!". Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: