Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Comparing slider rope setups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 04, 22 8:10 am    Comparing slider rope setups Reply with quote

Creating a new thread so as not to hijack...
Wind Slither wrote:

I had this happen once on a very gusty day, but for the last many years I go with a slider rope with 2 rings vs. a hook so there's no chance of an unintended release.

Anyone want to share pics of using a double-ring setup, or other 'failsafe' approach to using a slider versus chicken loop? I'm using an older north bar with their slider attachment but am concerned about accidental release. I started looking at newer North and Cabrinha bars with the easier re-attach designs, but $$$.

Also I find self-launching a hassle with my slider setup, so any ideas on that are appreciated.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 04, 22 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Double ring unnecessary. I picked up this ring on the advice of another slider thread. It works great. https://smcgear.com/rigging-ring.html

It was annoying to install because I had to remove the padding to get access to the dynema slider rope. But it has not been a huge issue and I have not bothered to glue it back on.

As for self-launch with such a setup, I have not done it yet but what I learned was to use an extra leash, clip one end to the fixed object, then clip the kite/bar end to the safety rope just above the chicken loop. In the attached picture, clip the leash to the line where the guy’s hand is holding. Then you can manipulate the chicken loop onto your slider while the kite is secure. Once the chicken loop is reset, release the self-launch leash.

32015AAF-6084-47F0-9D29-592D73E6E922.jpeg 
   C75E8C30-AC68-4F30-9EDA-BF35810DA3B2.jpeg 
   2C06DDB9-A995-4107-B09C-2E75CD4BF6F7.jpeg 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 04, 22 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, that's a great point - I could probably use a sturdy carabiner to hold above the loop assembly while fastening the slider below. Probably not something you'd want to keep the kite on for long, but good quality hardware from a reputable rigging supplier (like maybe their Force Series) should be sufficient.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 04, 22 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

And keep the carabiner on the back of your harness as well. If you have to release and want to reassemble to get back in, it can be crazy difficult to get the chicken loop onto the slider underwater while being thrashed about. With the extra carabiner you can assemble the loop where you can see/control it and then clip the carabiner to the loop & slider much easier. Yes, it moves the bar a bit further away but it gets you home.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 04, 22 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

I just keep an extra leash on my harness as it can potentially be used to launch/land and also used for securing or dragging a board when I need some extra time.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 04, 22 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention if you use a carabiner, but obviously it needs to be small enough so that the QR assembly cannot possibly pull through it or potentially bye-bye kite!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Apr 05, 22 5:46 am     Reply with quote

IWantToFly wrote:
Double ring unnecessary.

I just scored a couple stainless steel rings down at England. I use them with 2 spectra lines vs. the wider slider strap you have. I have to replace the lines every season or 2 so the double rings helps cut down the wear.

But your ring looks pretty small diameter. I assume you've tested an emergency release and making sure that chicken loop can fly out of that ring under load?

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 05, 22 8:00 am     Reply with quote

[double post]
Last edited by IWantToFly on Tue Apr 05, 22 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 05, 22 8:03 am     Reply with quote

[quote="IWantToFly"]
Wind Slither wrote:
IWantToFly wrote:
Double ring unnecessary.

But your ring looks pretty small diameter. I assume you've tested an emergency release and making sure that chicken loop can fly out of that ring under load?

I have not used in an actual emergency, but I’ve tested under load as much as possible on the beach and it releases easily. FWIW I use a short chicken loop.

Edit: if you want to compare, the ID is 1.1”.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 05, 22 8:56 am     Reply with quote

More helpful info here, thanks! I do hang an extra kite leash off my harness to secure my board in case of need, but hadn't considered carrying a carabiner for use in the water. Instead, I opted to thrash about frustratingly until the chicken loop was yarded from my hand in a hot launch, nearly degloving me... Embarassed

I reached a milestone last week in the recovery of my dislocated ring finger - was able to wear my wedding ring for the first time in over four years of form-fit casts and flexibility exercises. Thumb's Up

kitnasty

Since 14 Aug 2020
12 Posts

PostThu Apr 07, 22 9:35 am     Reply with quote

After my original slider rope snapped on me during a session last season, I bought my own spectra and rigged up my harness with a failsafe to hopefully prevent a sketchy situation.

Unfortunately this stainless steel ring causes some abrasion. I learned about the aluminum SMC rings after doing this, so that's going on next time I restring this. I've also heard that splicing spectra to double it up makes it exponentially stronger, so I plan on doing that next go around, too.

Considering the control bar is where all the safety mechanisms are, I highly recommend investing in an updated bar with an easy and dependable quick release that you can redo with your eyes closed. It could save your life!

sliderbar.jpg 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 07, 22 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

Good idea! I'll see if I could do this with the reinforced holes on my Ride Engine slider, as it looks like they might be too small for two lines to fit through.

Agree on updating the bar and will keep shopping, although my budget was just blown on a new foil and wing. :darkside 2.0:

kitnasty

Since 14 Aug 2020
12 Posts

PostFri Apr 08, 22 7:24 am     Reply with quote

And so it goes! That's an exciting new purchase for sure.

It wasn't easy to fit two lines of spectra in there, but worth it for the peace of mind!

https://www.kingwithoutacompass.com/

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 09, 22 7:38 am     Reply with quote

I have a slightly different set-up these days. If I was just going to ride waves or foil I would be using the slider rope as I did before but
I also like to jump and ride powered up and the slider just doesn’t work as well for those. So I found a happy medium. First I started with a shorter rope and that helped with being powered toeside and the slipping while setting up for the send on the jumps. But the I went to a bar with a simple bend in the middle where the hook was removed from it. Chicken loop just goes around the bar so very little point loading and wear. Makes toe-side very comfortable with very little torque. Same with jumping. Also, as the chicken loop doesn’t move as far to the side I get better depower toeside which is when I need it more than heelside as I can hold much more power heelside. Also, brings the bar closer so more depower throw as well & more consistent pull. And no rope to keep track of/wear out.

4A0CBDFF-83E1-4C89-9415-28D1603AD108.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  4A0CBDFF-83E1-4C89-9415-28D1603AD108.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.65 MB
 Downloaded:  233 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: