Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Patagonia R series wetsuit Yulex quality issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 21, 21 2:35 pm    Patagonia R series wetsuit Yulex quality issues Reply with quote

I currently have an O'Neill Psycho Freak that after years of use and abuse is starting need replacing. I was thinking of trying the Patagonia R5 but have read about some quality issues over the past year. Thoughts?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 21, 21 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of changing suits? I just got my first Psycho Freak and am thrilled with it, but I only have two sessions with it. I'm wondering if you had issues over time?

ece85

Since 24 Mar 2020
4 Posts
Hood River
Kook

PostMon Nov 22, 21 7:47 am     Reply with quote

how long do wetsuits typically last?

I'm on the 5th season of my 4/3 and it done being useful in cold temps (anything mid sixties).

I'd say it was pretty much done by the end of my 4th season.

id say i get out 3-5 times a week during peak season (from late may through september).

is that long time? short time?

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Nov 22, 21 8:17 am     Reply with quote

ece85 wrote:
how long do wetsuits typically last?

I'd say it was pretty much done by the end of my 4th season.
id say i get out 3-5 times a week during peak season (from late may through september).

is that long time? short time?

I'd say you are doing really well if you get four days a week, four weeks a month, four months a season, for four years out of a suit = 256 sessions.

Most high end (super flexible) suits will generally only last about half of that time before they need some significant repairs/overhaul. The lower end suits do tend to be more durable and last longer but aren't as comfortable.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Nov 23, 21 9:20 am    Re: Patagonia R series wetsuit Yulex quality issues Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
I currently have an O'Neill Psycho Freak that after years of use and abuse is starting need replacing. I was thinking of trying the Patagonia R5 but have read about some quality issues over the past year. Thoughts?

Stick with what works. Go with the Psycho Freak

I'm sure it has Rick James' seal of approval, although you'll have to visit his grave to ask him:

Link

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 23, 21 11:58 am     Reply with quote

BUELLer???

BUELLer??

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Nov 29, 21 9:01 am     Reply with quote

I do not recommend the patagonia Yulex suits. I bought an R3, and at first I was amazed at how warm and comfortable it was, even for riding the coast in the winter. However, it barely made it an entire season before the seals started cracking, flaking off, and leaking. The material they are using to seal it up is not very flexible like the stuff on the ONeill, Reef, Xcel, Mystic suits. They might have fixed this by now but I was very dismayed when I paid the extra extra for Patagucci and got a product that clearly was not tested long enough to find this obvious issue.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Nov 29, 21 11:13 am     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
I do not recommend the patagonia Yulex suits. I bought an R3, and at first I was amazed at how warm and comfortable it was, even for riding the coast in the winter. However, it barely made it an entire season before the seals started cracking, flaking off, and leaking. The material they are using to seal it up is not very flexible like the stuff on the ONeill, Reef, Xcel, Mystic suits. They might have fixed this by now but I was very dismayed when I paid the extra extra for Patagucci and got a product that clearly was not tested long enough to find this obvious issue.

One thing you're buying when you dig deep into your pocket for Patagucci is an awesome warranty; they stand by their products. That said, they swung the batt and tried something new and it sounds like they need to work out some issues.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostTue Nov 30, 21 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Hotline....5 years minimum, 100 sessions a year automatic....tried and true!!!! Religious about em for over 20 years....hooded 5/4, 40 air: 40 water all day long....

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Nov 30, 21 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

One thing you're buying when you dig deep into your pocket for Patagucci is an awesome warranty; they stand by their products. That said, they swung the batt and tried something new and it sounds like they need to work out some issues.

The warranty is definitely nice but it sucks if you don't have a good backup spring or winter suit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: