Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ride Engine APOC 3/2 Full Suit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 20, 21 4:09 pm    Ride Engine APOC 3/2 Full Suit Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this suit? I'm wondering if it's warmer than a standard 3/2 given the fleece lining? If you have one, what's the lowest water/air temperature that you are comfortable in it? How flexible is it? I'm looking for a VERY flexible spring/fall suit that's easy to get in and out of. To face the white walkers I'll stick with a drysuit... I don't want a windskin that's just going to puncture every time I put it on.

Thanks!!

Tburd21

Since 24 Jun 2019
38 Posts

PostWed Oct 20, 21 6:57 pm    APOC 3/2 Reply with quote

I got this suit about 6 weeks ago. It’s warm, but I wouldn’t call it warmer than “normal” for a 3/2. It is extremely flexible, probably the most comfortable and flexible 3mil suit I’ve ever had.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 20, 21 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!! How hard do you find it to get on & off compared to other wetsuits? Do you think the fleece helps with that at all? Did you use the Ride Engine "What size do I need tool" on their website? If so did that seem accurate? If not, do you think it runs large, small, or spot on?

Thanks in advance!

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 21, 21 6:24 am     Reply with quote

I have the 4/3 APOC. Happy with the suit, would not say it is any warmer or more comfy than my O'Neil Psycho freak.

This is my first front zip suit, and find it as easy (or hard) to get into as a back zip.

If in doubt about temperature go to the 4/3, with these newer super stretchy suits a 4/3 is no more constricting than a 3/2 used to be.

Hoping the APOC last longer than my Psychofreak which I only got one season on before it was trash.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Oct 21, 21 9:46 am     Reply with quote

one word....HOTLINE!!!!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 21, 21 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Isn't that technically two words?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 21, 21 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Nak. The LT chart dimensions are spot on for me. My only complaint in the past is I wanted more fuzzy stuff inside. I just noticed the latest models now have more. Just pulled the trigger on a new suit. My 5/4/3 is on two years and going strong. Very easy to get into for me. Nice suits.

Eric

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 21, 21 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

i cant imagine a more flexible suit than the Oneill Psychotech, spendy though. Maybe they use the same rubber on some of their less spendy suits too.....techno butter is what they call it. pretty dumb, but flexy and warm

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostFri Oct 22, 21 9:03 am     Reply with quote

HOTLINE, one word no hyphen....best on market hands down, warmth....not sponsored, just absolutely blown away with the ability to handle the colder temperatures.

Had to chuckle when reading about a year or two for a suit; i’ve used their suits for twenty years. I buy one every 5 years, and rotate the older one into the xtra category.

Quality, quality, quality....heck Nak, for a quality gear-oriented kiter who frequents the coast, I’d think the made in USA 3/2 would have your name all
over it....history of the company quite kewl as well.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 22, 21 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

west wrote:
HOTLINE, one word no hyphen....best on market hands down, warmth....not sponsored, just absolutely blown away with the ability to handle the colder temperatures.

Hey West! I'd never even heard of Hotline until this thread... I like the custom sizing a lot. Could you comment on flexibility and ease of entry/exit? Do you have a 3/2? Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: Strike the 3/2, just called them and they're sold out and out of 3mm material... Sad

Last edited by Nak on Fri Oct 22, 21 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 22, 21 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Hi Nak. The LT chart dimensions are spot on for me. My only complaint in the past is I wanted more fuzzy stuff inside. I just noticed the latest models now have more. Just pulled the trigger on a new suit. My 5/4/3 is on two years and going strong. Very easy to get into for me. Nice suits.

Eric

Thanks Eric and OG!!

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSun Oct 24, 21 8:48 am     Reply with quote

good luck on suit....keep Hotline on radar. I religiously use Hotline 5/4 UHC front zip
entry. Have turned dozens of sailors/surfers/kiters onto them over the years, always a revelation for em! they were built by surfers for surfers for Northern Cali, therefore flexibility is a high priority, u gotta paddle!

The front zip and built in hoody paired with fleeced long sleeve rash guard keeps you good in 40/40/40....

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Oct 24, 21 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

west wrote:
good luck on suit....keep Hotline on radar. I religiously use Hotline 5/4 UHC front zip
entry. Have turned dozens of sailors/surfers/kiters onto them over the years, always a revelation for em! they were built by surfers for surfers for Northern Cali, therefore flexibility is a high priority, u gotta paddle!

The front zip and built in hoody paired with fleeced long sleeve rash guard keeps you good in 40/40/40....

Thanks! Yeah I tried, but Hotline said no 3/2s from Hotline for the foreseeable future; supply chain issues with getting 3mm neoprene. Fortunately I found a Hyper freak 3.5/2.5 at Cleanline. We'll see how warm it is, but it is comfortable! My first chest zip, and I was like "I'm never fitting in that hole," LOL! But it was surprisingly easy to put on.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 11, 21 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

I liked the Hyperfreak so much I got an O'Neill 4.5/3.5 Psychotech Chest zip. I have no idea how long it will last, but man is it comfortable and warm. I just tried it in 49 degree Lacamas Lake with an air temp of 52. Warmer than my old 5/4 for sure, and more flexible/comfortable than my old 3/2. Absolutely no flushing after multiple dives, it felt a lot like a drysuit. Cruising around at 17 mph on my eFoil I felt completely warm; evaporative cooling wasn't an issue--at least not at that relatively warm temp. The chest zip is amazingly easy to get in and out of. I never would have thought that. I'm sold on chest zip now, it's so nice not to feel any water flush from the zipper--or anywhere else for that matter. The only negative is that I stayed so dry I'd be afraid to pee in the thing! I'll have to treat it like a drysuit, lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: