Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Where to buy kite line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 21 3:32 pm    Where to buy kite line Reply with quote

I am doing a repair on a bar and need some kite line - 50ft of slingshot center line equivalent and 25 feet of flying line.

I spoke to Air Time - they steered me toward a new line set, but I am actually just looking for some good line to work with.

Thanks

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 21 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

These guys can most likely cut you whatever length you need.. https://kiteboarding.com/products.asp?cat=Fly+Line+Sets

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 29, 21 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Here's the problem: If you repair one line, the symmetrical line will have different stretch characteristics and the kite will fly horribly. If you change out one back line, change them both. If you change one front line, change them both. Symmetrical lines must have identical stretch. Also, be careful to use lines with low stretch. Even 800# lines designed for kites other than kiteboarding kites stretch way too much to be useful for kiteboarding.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 21 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

What Nak said. do lines in pairs.

one of the most important steps is pre-stretching your lines. I don't skip this part. I happen to use a crane scale and a come along to load the lines to about 300 lbs and held them at that load for about 20 minutes, which required adjusting the come along about every minute as the load dropped off/lines stretched.

and if you search, Nak has a good tutorial on how to make a line set. it is doable, but is a process you want to do right. Nak's method is not the only one, but they all have a lot in common.

I have made 2x line sets from Marlow KL0352 KITELINE RACE 99 360KG. A 100M roll gets you 1 set, and is about 100 bucks. so it is much cheaper than buying a lineset. But it all depends how you value your time and if that is how you want to spend it.

kiterland

Since 11 Aug 2009
143 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 21 5:40 pm    ref lifelines Reply with quote

https://kiteboardinglines.com/

I got a set of Dyneema sk99 there. Best price and quality I found.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 30, 21 9:50 am    save the old lines Reply with quote

I've changed out lines before and disposed of older bars plenty, but I always save the line as it is SO handy with all kinds of things. Camping, gardening, kite repair (installing new bladders) hanging things ( tarps, outside lighting strings, bird feeders, wind chimes. I coil them up, place them in a 1 gallon ziplock bag and sharpie the date done and the contents.

My 3 cents.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 20, 21 12:30 pm    Where to buy Kite Lines Reply with quote

Found it: Emmakites.com

snowbunny

Since 05 Nov 2013
54 Posts

PostWed Sep 22, 21 5:44 am    kite line Reply with quote

I've now made two kite steering line sets using this 2mm dyneema:

https://westcoastsailing.net/2mm-robline-dyneema-mini-spool/

Did a ~200 lb pre-stretch on my car hitch, no stretch since after multiple sessions. I think that this 800lb line is rated higher than many stock sets, perhaps a bit thicker but still pretty light.

Each mini-spool is good for one 22m line, so you need to get two spools or buy a bigger spool. You're also going to need a FID to do the splicing. Not sure that I have all that much to add to Nak's great tutorial but glad to share some images from the splicing process if that would help anyone, let me know.

Definitely cheaper than new lines but you'll spend a fair bit of time (2-4 hrs) learning the splice, measuring, and making your first set, so best if you enjoy DIY (I do) or want to do this more than once.

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostWed Sep 22, 21 4:27 pm    line Reply with quote

Hi.
I bought some high quality Liros SK99 line from GreenHatKiteboarding early this season. I wanted to try and start making my own lines. I also bought the little tool from them to make splices. One of the attractions for this line was that it was pre-stretched. I didn't do anything to pre-stretch it first. I just carefully measured everything and made the lines. I think I paid $92 for a set of 20m lines. 1.1mm for steering and 1.3 mm for center.

I wanted to learn how to splice. I did. It was super easy. Go over to kiteforumcom and you will see my photo by photo explanation. I now have 60 - 80 foil sessions on these lines. Mostly on 4m, 5 or 6m kites. I have not had to adjust any lengths. Super happy!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Sep 23, 21 8:54 am    marked Reply with quote

Commenting so I can find this later

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 23, 21 9:10 am    Re: marked Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Commenting so I can find this later

ditto

smokey

Since 24 May 2005
47 Posts
Portland, OR

PostFri Sep 24, 21 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

There's also Q-powerline pro which has a sheath/ core construction. This allows you to be able to tie knots in it without losing significant strength. Purely subjective, but these lines feel like they stretch less to me. I have a couple sets which I've used for 3-4 years that are still in good shape.

https://pksdistribution.com/proddetail.asp?prod=q_powerline_pro_spool

kiterland

Since 11 Aug 2009
143 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 26, 21 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

https://kiteboardinglines.com/products/custom-kitesurfing-lines-dyneema-sk-99-445dan-729dan-all-length

Great quality and price

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 26, 21 7:53 pm    Kiteboardinglines North upgrade kit Reply with quote

kiterland wrote:
https://kiteboardinglines.com/

I got a set of Dyneema sk99 there. Best price and quality I found.

Thanks for this reference. I bought their upgrade kit for my 2015 North Quad bar and installed it last night. No instructions so I used the video, and first took some photos in case I ever need to revert. The "Mini Pick and Hook Set" I'd bought from Harbor Freight (https://harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/mini-pick-and-hook-set-63697.html) came in handy to undo the tight old loops.

I had noticed with the old North system of the two small rings for the safety line, the red line loop is subject to wear under normal flight, so it was worth it to me to get the new fixed slider part (has a Duotone logo on it) that solves the wear problem at the base of the safety line.

One thing I neglected is to remember which side slides - from memory I believe it was the red side, though not sure that matters. The original lines were fully color-coded; these inner lines are black and outer are red and blue, with pigtails color coded black and red, so super minor inconvenience that I doubt would ever cause a safety concern.

I pulled on them with some weight to pre-tension - probably unnecessary - and hope to kite (Third Ave in SF bay) sometime in the near future to test them. Will report any problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: