Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Helmet suggestions anyone?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 16, 21 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

Godlike wrote:
Only buy a Helmet with EN1385 certification.

For robust impact protection, you can not swim if you are unconscious.

This is a personal decision and there is more to consider than certification. The certification process assumes you are hitting the water at near zero speed relative to the water, as in kayaking. There is value to a slim helmet that transfers less force to your neck in a high speed crash. I think if you're kayaking, certification is critical because you are most at risk to hit rocks with your head at high relative speeds. Foiling requires a different risk assessment. Some of the certified helmets give no protection from eardrum damage hitting the water at high speed, and the bill on many certified helmets could also cause injuries to your neck.

I'm not saying don't use a certified helmet, nor am I saying to use one. I am saying make your own risk assessment and decide what helmet best protects you. For me, that means a Gath non-certified helmet. I have take injuries requiring surgery from high speed water impacts, and so bulky certified helmets do not match my personal risk assessment. I've also taken an impact to the rear of my skull below what a certified helmet actually covered. This impact came close to drowning me. So now, I wear a Gath helmet. It is not certified, but it covers all of the bone of my skull, and is slim enough with no bill that impact to my neck is far lower than it would be with a certified helmet.

Don't listen to my advice, decide for yourself what fits your risk profile.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 17, 21 10:26 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Friend of mine kitefoil races with this one:

https://www.murrays.com/product/prowip-sailing-helmet-2-0/

The above helmet fit me best,
a) -but I had to get use to the unusual magnetic sideways slide ergonomic of the chin clasp.
b) +1 for the it's rear retention features & conformity to the occipital contours. This adds exceptional stability to problematic helmet migration during the high force rinse cycles.
c) Low mass and low hydrodynamic profile has value during those high speed, surface skipping, whiplash tumbles or coastal washing machine spin cycles. Hucking kayaks around rocks introduces an additional set of feature benefit design tradeoffs.

This one appears to employ the Protec shell has potential foil potential. It is unknown if the accessory rails add excessive mass.
[url]
https://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/36620/selectedVariationId/162232/First-Watch-Bump-Helmet-Hi-Vis-Yellow?utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_content=162232&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8IjlicmG8wIVvD6tBh3sFA-uEAYYASABEgKlHfD_BwE#ProductDetails [/url]

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 17, 21 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

hobbsla wrote:
Thanks for all the input everybody. Ive got my eye on the mystic mk8x, it looks pretty good. Anyone using it?

This is a great thread as I'm in the market for a new brain bucket too. I have a balance at Windance so I tried the Mystic helmets, but I didn't like the fit or design of them compared to some of my friends' kayaking helmets I've tried.

I did grab the new Ride Engine softshell 'helmet' to try on. Kudos to them for bringing an option to market for folks (totally agree with NAK's statement on individual risk assessment), but it's not for me. For one, the center in the lower back lacks protection which was admittedly a byproduct of its design goals as a more lightweight and comfortable option. For another, I'm a total newb which pretty much guarantees I'll continue to be surprised by the different ways the foil can catch me off guard.

Kip, if you're foiling sans helmet, you may want to check out this softshell option (when they update their web site for `22) - maybe will save you more staples. Heal up fast!

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 18, 21 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

Well, I've been doing a lot of hunting around locally, trying to find helmets I can actually try on, and they are few and far between around here. So I have decided to roll the dice on the mystic helmet. I know some didn't like it, but I think it will fit my weird head nicely Laughing I always have such a hard time finding snowboarding helmets because I have this big forehead so most helmets ride too hi in the brim for my liking. The mystic looks like it has the same shape an coverage I like in my snow helmet.

We'll see how it goes! Thanks for all the replies... such a good community at NWK!

If the mystic doesn't work out maybe this one would Wink

images.jpg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 19, 21 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Somewhat wandering a bit on this subject, but:
Question... I have a helmet I really like but the guts/lining fell out. Anyone here ever DIY a helmet lining? Pool noodles?

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 20, 21 11:43 am    Helment Liner Tweeking Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Somewhat wandering a bit on this subject, but:
Question... I have a helmet I really like but the guts/lining fell out. Anyone here ever DIY a helmet lining? Pool noodles?

Pool Noodle: Besides being a nice name of a band, EPE sheet stock or EVA works.
https://foamforyou.com/2-3lbs-density-polyethylene-planks-laminated.html

Replace or improve?
Consider avoiding the custom, iterative fitment phase of carving closed cell foams by transplanting the adjustable suspension found in a bike helmet. Donor source - The Good Will store ($6.00). Your retrofit can have adjustable circumference as well as better occipital bone conformity (gimbal stabilizing) than many new products on the market.

"Pool Noodle" - a term for crowd sourcing collective wisdom

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 29, 21 11:50 am     Reply with quote

Hey all Smile

I did finally end up buying the MK8X helmet and so far I'm very happy. Its by far the most comfy helmet I've ever had, very light weight and it seems to be holding onto my head on all the necessary points. I'm also liking the coverage on my big ol' forehead which is usually an issue for me with helmets lol. Haven't gotten it wet yet so we'll see how it performs there but so far I'm pretty stoked!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 29, 21 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, that's the helmet I have. This design is especially well suited to pumpkin sized 7 7/8th heads. The ear flaps are attached by velcro, which for me failed the first season so now I've glued them permanent with aqua-seal. I have these perfectly tuned to hold my bone-conducting music player at the right gentle pressure:

https://aftershokz.com/us/products/xtrainerz

sp

Since 11 Oct 2007
3 Posts
New Zealand
Kook

PostTue Oct 05, 21 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

I use my POC snowboarding helmet, mostly because it is comfortable and warm for winter foiling. Two of the Americas Cup teams were using POC helmets, which look very similar to what I have.
https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/152127-helmets/

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Oct 06, 21 10:14 am     Reply with quote

wear a helmet!

I am 24 years on the Sweet Strutter - i replaced the original after 20 years with the 20th Anniversary edition. The original was metallic silver and wicked, i was at a kayak film night at Nike and Scott Lindgren had this new helmet on the table, he had to fight me to get it back. (watch the River Runner on Netflix its rad)

The padding deteriorated after 15 years and the metallic paint faded to the bare Kevlar but i didnt care. It saved me from a few viscous hits over the years but also directed a few boards under the bill straight into my forehead, but all in all the biggest life saving advantage to wearing a helmet is the sun protection. The paint that faded would be your skin...

a gath helmet is probably the better choice for big waves - the bill could act as a scoop on the baseball style helmets and snap your neck - but it seems to work for me (have had it ripped off and found it floating a few times)

helmets are cool ! unless you mount a gopro on top then you are a teletubby (also invented in 1997 Very Happy )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 06, 21 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:

helmets are cool ! unless you mount a gopro on top then you are a teletubby

Gotta say Gman, You pull off the cool helmet look better than anybody!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: