Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Inflatable SUP to Wing Trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 13, 21 12:29 pm    Inflatable SUP to Wing Trainer Reply with quote

For all those aspiring beginner wing dingers that have an inflatable SUP, but dont have a center fin attachment, I recently ordered an https://air7.net/#products Air7 US fin box v2 and glued it to my SS Crossbreed. It was very easy to do and took about an hour. I know that SS does have a model out which has this feature but it was out of stock and I was unable to find, so just did it myself. I purchased it from Amazon via Japan, which only took a week to get! Already planing, so time to move on to a foil board, haha.

Here is the link to purchase...
https://www.amazon.com/air7-Paddleboards-Replacement-Instructions-Translucent/dp/B07S2C185G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PXBKMJ40FH0Q&dchild=1&keywords=air7%2Bfin%2Bbox&qid=1628885969&sprefix=air7%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-1&th=1

How to video here...
https://youtu.be/qYzQrqew3yw

65015787050__EF7C6DF2-1524-477F-8CF3-A0A0C02DE1AE.JPEG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  65015787050__EF7C6DF2-1524-477F-8CF3-A0A0C02DE1AE.JPEG
 Filesize:  872.92 KB
 Downloaded:  837 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_2321.JPEG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_2321.JPEG
 Filesize:  960.01 KB
 Downloaded:  811 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_2323.JPEG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_2323.JPEG
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Downloaded:  789 Time(s)

IMG_2324.JPEG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_2324.JPEG
 Filesize:  898.91 KB
 Downloaded:  814 Time(s)

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
143 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 09, 21 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. The SS SUPwinder seems to be back in stock a lot of places so I am thinking about grabbing one. But, I have virtually brand new, fancy inflatable paddle boards and I am hesitant to add the fin box just for some wing learning/play.

Have you paddled your board - or anyone with the SS product - without the fin? Does the fin box add much drag? Does it make an iSUP much harder to roll up assuming you plan for the flat section? Or in your opinion is this just something one would do for an old board or a dedicated wing SUP?

Thanks.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 09, 21 10:22 am     Reply with quote

IWantToFly wrote:
Thanks for that info. The SS SUPwinder seems to be back in stock a lot of places so I am thinking about grabbing one. But, I have virtually brand new, fancy inflatable paddle boards and I am hesitant to add the fin box just for some wing learning/play.

Have you paddled your board - or anyone with the SS product - without the fin? Does the fin box add much drag? Does it make an iSUP much harder to roll up assuming you plan for the flat section? Or in your opinion is this just something one would do for an old board or a dedicated wing SUP?

Thanks.

I have not noticed any difference in paddling following install, but when it comes to folding it complicates it a little, but still possible. For what its worth.

Last edited by mikeinhoodriver on Thu Sep 09, 21 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
143 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 09, 21 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Thanks. Did you just use a regular pvc cement? (Sorry, watching your how-to video now.)

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 09, 21 10:25 am     Reply with quote

IWantToFly wrote:
Thanks. Did you just use a regular pvc cement?

It is the glue specific... HH66?

johnz

Since 13 Jan 2011
5 Posts

Kook

PostFri Sep 10, 21 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Following. However, Slingy recently updated the description of the SUP Winder on their website to say that it isn't compatible with inflatable boards. Does anyone know why?

https://slingshotsports.com/products/sup-winder

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 10, 21 9:33 am     Reply with quote

johnz wrote:
Following. However, Slingy recently updated the description of the SUP Winder on their website to say that it isn't compatible with inflatable boards. Does anyone know why?

I dont know the specifics, but the Sup Winder base does use 3m adhesive instead of glue like the Air7 fin box does.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
143 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 10, 21 11:20 am     Reply with quote

johnz wrote:

This is an Amazon review from July 2021:

"I put this on an inflatable sup at 75cm middle to middle from my back fin. The first day went great, second day it had partially delaminated from the board after being left in my car. I pressed it down and it lasted through 5 hours of 10-14 knot wind with a 7m wing, but had delaminated partially again. I'm currently ordering some pvc patches to try and glue the patch down with vinyl cement, I think this will allow it to stick around for a while. I have an 11'6" board and I'd probably put the fin another 6 inches away from the rear fin as I have to be back fairly far on my board to tack upwind and it's got a narrow back so balancing has been tricky, but I'm still getting a lot of success."

This seems like a good data point for those considering putting it on an iSUP. One of my concerns is that if you do lose it while riding it is obviously gone to the bottom!

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 10, 21 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

IWantToFly wrote:
johnz wrote:

This is an Amazon review from July 2021:

"I put this on an inflatable sup at 75cm middle to middle from my back fin. The first day went great, second day it had partially delaminated from the board after being left in my car. I pressed it down and it lasted through 5 hours of 10-14 knot wind with a 7m wing, but had delaminated partially again. I'm currently ordering some pvc patches to try and glue the patch down with vinyl cement, I think this will allow it to stick around for a while. I have an 11'6" board and I'd probably put the fin another 6 inches away from the rear fin as I have to be back fairly far on my board to tack upwind and it's got a narrow back so balancing has been tricky, but I'm still getting a lot of success."

This seems like a good data point for those considering putting it on an iSUP. One of my concerns is that if you do lose it while riding it is obviously gone to the bottom!

I have had mine on for several months now, and not one problem at all. FWIW

AnacortesRigging

Since 18 Sep 2021
1 Posts
Anacortes

PostSun Sep 19, 21 9:16 am     Reply with quote

I bought a cheap glue on fin from Amazon when I first got my Gong inflatable board. I just taped it onto the bottom of the board with some Dr Shrink tape and it held fine for a few paddles. I was trying to see if I could SUP that small of a board. Taping it on would work fine for the amount of time you will want a fin on your SUP for learning...

My $0.02 :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: