Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite foil board size question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostTue Sep 07, 21 2:26 pm    Kite foil board size question Reply with quote

I'm a new foiler and feeling pretty addicted. I'm on a 5'1" f-one board with a fair bit of volume and a big, swooped nose. It has been great for learning. I've been riding with front straps because it helps me with the starts - the board is really floaty and although my foil is pretty light, I can't seem to keep the board on its side when I'm starting. Would a less buoyant board make much of a difference here? Really want to ditch the straps (have been strapless on a surfboard for years). Additionally, I've been catching the nose when I carve tighter turns, so going a little shorter might be good in that regard.

Worth going shorter and smaller, or is this just a lack of skill? I'm 190 lb with a 1000 cm2 front wing.

Thanks All.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 07, 21 2:44 pm    Re: Kite foil board size question Reply with quote

tree wrote:
I can't seem to keep the board on its side when I'm starting.

Thanks All.

Stick your front foot in the strap and hold it on it's side with your foot.

Yes - you're ready for a shorter board. If you can waterstart and immediately get up on foil....Get something in the 42" range.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostTue Sep 07, 21 2:53 pm    Re: Kite foil board size question Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
tree wrote:

Thanks All.

Yes - you're ready for a shorter board. If you can waterstart and immediately get up on foil....Get something in the 42" range.

Yeah, that's what I do. Without the strap would be tough.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 07, 21 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

I went from the Alien Air 5 foot something beast, to a 4'6" Dwarfcraft, to a 42" Kanaha Shapes, to a 37" Kanaha Shapes.... and in the end I probably could have just stopped spending money at 42". I sold it cheap to a friend and when I borrow it, it feels just perfect with almost no "swing weight" negatives. Kanaha Shapes do not have footstaps inserts so look somewhere else if your stuck on straps.... or TOW work on that.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 07, 21 4:57 pm    Re: Kite foil board size question Reply with quote

tree wrote:
ldhr wrote:
tree wrote:

Thanks All.

Yeah, that's what I do. Without the strap would be tough.

When you start strapless I think a lot people have the kite directed in the direction they will be traveling, pull the board up with one arm while flying the kite with the other, put their front foot or both feet on the board, then try to either fly the kite one handed while holding the board with the other hand, or do a quick powerstroke to get pressure on the board before it flattens out.

I think a better method is to direct the kite in the opposite direction you are planning to travel (so if planning to go left, put the kite at like 2 o'clock). Put the board with the foil facing to the right and the board on it's side pointed almost straight downwind. Then put your back foot on the board first. The pressure will keep the board on its side without having to hold the board, so you can simultaneously start your kite powerstroke to the left. This will push the board so it is perpendicular to the direction of the wind so you can put your front foot on the board, start moving and stand up.

Regardless, things will be easier with a smaller/lower volume board. It's also more fun.

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostWed Sep 08, 21 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

Stick a front foothook on it slightly forward ,once you get up it will be out of your way when you move foot back.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostThu Sep 09, 21 11:16 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Foil Works boards? A quick search turned up a couple of mentions but not much feedback.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 09, 21 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

Agree with Clyde; I use a front foot hook on my Slingshot Converter primarily to leverage the boat anchor that is my Cabrinha foil onto its side. Slightly less intrusive than a strap.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostThu Sep 09, 21 9:29 pm     Reply with quote

My first 2 sessions were on a large beginner board without footstraps. Then I switched to a 50 in board without straps. I have never used straps on a foil and so far have no interest in jumping with a foil. So far I have to agree that I find my small thin board makes it easy to lay the foil sideways for a waterstart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: