Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What size small kite for foiling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostTue Jun 29, 21 9:31 am    What size small kite for foiling? Reply with quote

I started foiling this year and find that once it hits the low 20's my 7m pivot is too beaucoup. I'm 190 with a 1000 front wing. What size kite(s) should I be looking for to foil in the 20-30 mph range? And if anyone has something suitable that they want to unload...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 29, 21 9:52 am     Reply with quote

5m. 4m is really small for 190lbs.... hard to water start.
Ultimate gorge foil quiver is 7,5,4.
lots of guys will tell you 3m or 4m but my experience is 5m. I'm 185 and a 4m didn't really work for me - I tried 2 different models.
of course if you like flying your kite back and forth like a demented bumble bee you can try a 4m.
a couple of OG's foil everyday at the Event Site and ride Naish boxers - maybe ask them.

Last edited by ldhr on Tue Jun 29, 21 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 29, 21 9:55 am    small kites Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a 4 and 5. I've got some older Switchblades in decent shape that might work for you(cheap!) text me brotha

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 29, 21 11:26 am     Reply with quote

I go from a 9 to a 6 to a 4.5. I see a lot of 5’s and 6’s. The BRM cloud people always seem to be a size smaller. I picked up a 5 I haven’t tested yet. Picked up a 3.5 but again, haven’t seen a day that windy I wanted to try yet.

6 is my bread and butter for HR 20’s, once it’s solid white caps the 4.5 takes me mid 20’s to mid 30’s.

I’m 200 lb on a 900cm2 wing.

I think it depends on how much power and speed you like. Bigger, slower, surfy foil folks seem to want less power and better drift. The fast crowd favors more power.

Then there’s the kite’s performance...docile or faster turning. It’s more than just the number on the wing tip.

edit: really wish I'd rigged the 3.5 today! The 4.5 was too much.

Last edited by Singlemalt on Tue Jun 29, 21 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 29, 21 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

Some good advice here. As singlemalt says, it does depend a lot on style. FWIW, I'm 175#, on a 990 sq cm kite foil wing and 5M is my most used kite in the gorge. I have a mixed quiver of surf kites and UFOs and I find sizing is similar. I use my 7M for light wind foiling (teens). I have a 9M and never use it to foil, only for surfboard. . I use the 4M when it's high 20s though.

I also find I'm often on the smaller end of the kite size range for any given day. I like to depower completely and let the kite drift while I ride the swell. I also prefer to down loop during my jibes and find tacking easier when underpowered since I ride strapless and am easily pulled off the board when tacking.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostTue Jun 29, 21 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all. I know it's not as simple as size, and there's variation from one kite to the next. But 5-ish seems like a good next size to add. And I get it regarding riding style. Total beginner here. I'm looking for slow. Session three I started to figure out how to "edge" with the foil to control kite power and felt much better. Haven't even sniffed a successful transition.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 30, 21 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Put the kite up high an go for the transition. You’re ending up in the water anyways right? Don’t switch feet at first, just carve onto your toeside and be ready to dip the kite for more power. If underpowered, make a tighter carve and lean in more. Overpowered, wider turn to bleed off speed. Keeping the kite high always helps!

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostWed Jun 30, 21 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 6m Naish Boxer for sale in the classified section.

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostWed Jun 30, 21 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

I'm 205lbs with all my gear on. I use a two kite quiver (Core X-Lite 8m, 6m). If it's too windy for the 6m, I just don't go out.

ZMar

Since 13 May 2018
24 Posts

PostWed Jun 30, 21 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

My opinion, on big days like that while you’re still new, don’t foil. Ride your directional and practice the kite motion of gybes and tacks and what not. Just have a good surf or twintip session. In the evening as the wind starts to get lighter swap for your foil with the same kite and ride for another 30 minutes to an hour before it shuts off. I did this religiously for the first season i foiled and it was great! I got good sessions in where i felt like i could actually kite then spent a lot of time in the water learning to foil. Big slow kites a touch overpowered are perfect for learning foil moves, especially if they fly high in the window like the xlite, clouds, and boxers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: