Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Annual Rufus high flow current swell conditions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 05, 21 9:20 am    Annual Rufus high flow current swell conditions. Reply with quote

Every spring when the high water flow is ~300K or more - the swell at Rufus can be crappy or epic depending on the wind conditions.
Was anyone out there yesterday (Friday) and can give a report?
Wind looking good for today.
Current flow is 302k.

https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/station/flowplot/textPlot.cgi?id=JDAO3&pe=QR

Previous threads and wisdom from BigJohn - http://nwkite.com/forums/t-43539.html&highlight=rufus+flow

Mlander

Since 06 Oct 2010
32 Posts
Mosier, Or

PostSat Jun 05, 21 10:24 am    Choppy and hardly any swell Reply with quote

Gusty and holey too.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jun 05, 21 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

Yup, the trifecta
Gusty, holey, choppy
Very little swell, 1star, not recommended

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSat Jun 05, 21 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question back in 2018...

"If the flow is above 290,000 - I don't bother going there."

but that was before winging.

What I want to know is whether Rufus would be good for learning to wing foil during the high flow. If you don't want big swell and don't want to have to walk back upwind.

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostSat Jun 05, 21 8:01 pm    The foiler and the flow Reply with quote

Call me the princess and call the river the pea all you want, but when the flow is this high at Rufus I feel like I notice it on the foil and it doesn’t help with stability

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 06, 21 7:11 am     Reply with quote

hilton wrote:

What I want to know is whether Rufus would be good for learning to wing foil during the high flow. If you don't want big swell and don't want to have to walk back upwind.

Learning to wing at Rufus would be ok if you're a stud athlete with years of kite foil experience. But not when the current is above 300K. too many weird currents and eddies.

I've been winging for a year now and I've watched others learn to wing.
IMO - the Hook to Sandbar is the best place in the gorge to learn. Pay your dues doing the shuttle or walk and learn to ride both directions and stay upwind.
Going to places like the Hatchery and using the current to get back upwind will only retard your progress.
The number #1 issue I see new wingers struggling with is getting up on the foil after they stand up. The #1 reason I see them struggle - they decide to try winging when the wind is light and crappy. (too light to kite so I might as well try wingingin today).
Winging is not a light wind activity - you need to be overpowered to learn.
If you want to learn how to wing - put your kite gear away for a month.
I learned at the age of 61 and it took 4 sessions (and a dozen walks of shame along the waterfront)..... after I put my kite gear in the garage.

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 06, 21 8:09 am     Reply with quote

LD preaching the truth on winging and Rufus. Listen to the Gorge Oracle, peeps. Yesterday afternoon Rufus was as expected if you followed the Maryhill wind sensor. Roughly 25-55, with some really nice swell series running through, but those were few and far between. At 4PM a 50+MPH gust blew through which compelled many to call it a day. About 320kcfs discharge from both John Day and Dalles dams. On a scale of 1-10, maybe a 6 or 7. On the positive side, it was sunny, 70 degrees, and I rode downwind for an hour and pretty much stayed in place. In general, not a good place for a beginner to learn anything but humility and how to be rescued.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jun 06, 21 7:32 pm    Re: Annual Rufus high flow current swell conditions. Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Previous threads and wisdom from BigJohn - http://nwkite.com/forums/t-43539.html&highlight=rufus+flow

I went to Rufus yesterday... I was disappointed. I even made the comment to a buddy that I was thinking of heading back and working instead... Shocked

In hindsite I went back and looked at the graph. I think I hit the worst period.

Hit and miss. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, other times you roll snake eyes.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 07, 21 7:10 am     Reply with quote

I was there on Sat as well. I thought it was sweet, but then again i was visiting. at 215lbs it is rare when i can ride m 6m and be fully powered. Swell was pretty good as well. Have 3 great days of wind at the gorge and left yesterday. Quick visit from windless CO.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 07, 21 7:20 am     Reply with quote

I was there on Sat as well. I thought it was sweet, but then again i was visiting. at 215lbs it is rare when i can ride m 6m and be fully powered. Swell was pretty good as well. Have 3 great days of wind at the gorge and left yesterday. Quick visit from windless CO.

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostMon Jun 07, 21 11:07 am     Reply with quote

[quote="ldhr"]
hilton wrote:
Re: Winging
1) the Hook to Sandbar is the best place in the gorge to learn. Pay your dues doing the shuttle or walk and learn to ride both directions and stay upwind.

2) The number #1 issue I see new wingers struggling with is getting up on the foil after they stand up. The #1 reason I see them struggle - they decide to try winging when the wind is light and crappy. (too light to kite so I might as well try wingingin today).

3) If you want to learn how to wing - put your kite gear away for a month.

I wish I'da had this advice and followed it two months ago. All three are gold.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 07, 21 11:31 am     Reply with quote

[quote="TravisBickleRex"]
ldhr wrote:
hilton wrote:
Re: Winging
1) the Hook to Sandbar is the best place in the gorge to learn. Pay your dues doing the shuttle or walk and learn to ride both directions and stay upwind.

2) The number #1 issue I see new wingers struggling with is getting up on the foil after they stand up. The #1 reason I see them struggle - they decide to try winging when the wind is light and crappy. (too light to kite so I might as well try wingingin today).

3) If you want to learn how to wing - put your kite gear away for a month.

I wish I'da had this advice and followed it two months ago. All three are gold.

#1 and # 2 are solid advice. I didn't follow # 3 though since I still want to foil with my kite on light wind days! Maybe it's slowed my progress some but I'm not entirely convinced I'll ever dump my kite gear and switch to full time winging.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 08, 21 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Rufus put my winging skills in their place this last weekend. Shocked

Chris Anderson and crew we're out making it look easy.

And then there's JH out at Arlington...

https://www.facebook.com/665114481/videos/10158454374954482/

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostWed Jun 09, 21 3:48 am     Reply with quote

That video is ridiculous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: