Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking for folks to ride with, --> Jones Beach +

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
it's_over_there

Since 12 Apr 2021
15 Posts

PostThu May 13, 21 10:15 am    Looking for folks to ride with, --> Jones Beach + Reply with quote

Hey all,
I'm relatively new to nwkite, and live in the pdx area. I'm looking for folks to ride with, at Jones Beach in particular. I've been heading there about once a week, but it is usually dead there... as in, I'm the only one there. In the interest of not riding solo, I'm looking for other folks that would like to coordinate going there together.
Sauvie doesn't seem to be an issue since people are always there if the wind is blowing, understandable given the proximity. Jones on the other hand seems to blow a lot more regularly (almost daily), but rarely has kiting visitors. I can head out weekday afternoons and weekends. Which weekday varies week to week based on work schedule and such.

I'm a novice, but self sufficient. I'll often bring my kid with me as he likes to ride as well, and we'll usually split sessions between he and I.

PM me if interested, or shoot me a text.
Thanks,
Dan
971-563-6644

MrGie

Since 17 Feb 2015
55 Posts

PostThu May 13, 21 12:48 pm    . Reply with quote

My off days and Sundays and Mondays and I ride anything that's windy. Prefer HR for the vibes and wind, but if manza is lit, then I will heading there. I have a low audi tt that's not the best for driving on Jones beach but if it's blowing 20+ - lmk as I used to love riding the flats behind the island.

630 - 470 - one one five zero

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostThu May 13, 21 4:23 pm    Jones Reply with quote

It's still early. You will start seeing more people there as it gets warmer and the possible high water recedes. But never a lot of people. Novices tend to stay upwind where there used to be a kite school. We always launch from the paved parking lot area or drive out to the shoreline from that lot. Depends on the dust.

We will be there a bit in June and July, maybe August. But, like you said, it can be lonely. Especially during the week. We always go over to the Wa side.

Make sure you know where the obstacles are. Like wind shadows behind the island (Do Not Ride close to the island), pilings at lower tides (easily visible), container ships (they move fast, are big and create wind shadows). I can't coordinate with you as yet as we haven't started our annual gorge pilgrimage.

And I agree, Jones is regular and good.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 14, 21 5:46 am    Re: Jones Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
Depends on the dust.

Laughing
I purchased an all-wheel Subaru in part just for the joy of driving to the rigging spot at Jones. But my Gawd!! When it hits anything stronger than 9m and your buddy opens a car door to grab a beer? Car interior is instantly covered in fine power.... 2 hours detail work back home.
Now I just hide in the trees and walk 3 minutes.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri May 14, 21 7:46 am    Jones Reply with quote

Friday 5/14

It just so happens today a bunch of us are going to hit JONES...

Start the party about 3pm

See you there

Mc

2021-05-14_08-44-50.png 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: