Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flysurfer Peak 4s for Foiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostFri Apr 02, 21 5:12 pm    Flysurfer Peak 4s for Foiling Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a Flysurfer Peak 4 for foiling? I’m looking to get a foil specific kite soon and people seem to rage about them on KiteForum, but I have yet to see one in the NW. Sounds like they are awesome for drifting and riding waves with a big surfy front wing. UFOs or Clouds are obviously also a good choice too but I’m curious about Peaks and how minimalistic they are. Plus the cost can’t be beat...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 02, 21 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

The Peak 4 is a single skin snowkite. It's not designed to be dropped on water. You can use it on water.... but if you drop it and don't relaunch in a minute or 2..... it will most probably fill with water and sink.

With so many great foil kites on the market - wondering why you're considering a single skin foil kite?

Last edited by ldhr on Fri Apr 02, 21 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 02, 21 6:01 pm    Peakin' @ Peak 4 Reply with quote

Hey Cdub,

Good question - I have no idea, but Tyler K is a local at least in the summer anyway kiter, winger generally rad water dude who has this direct experience video for you...

Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/8EgFbgztLiU

Get Stoked!

Mc

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostFri Apr 02, 21 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone has personal experience with them in the gorge, sound, or coast.

Allegedly...
1. They are lighter than even the lightest no strut kite (UFO/Clouds) and don’t require a pump.
2. They can supposedly fly in sub 6mph winds and drift super well so they rarely fall out of the sky unless you tomahawk them and you can ride straight at them without overrunning them.
3. Yes their relaunch is horrible (50% relaunch rate), but as the video shows above it is possible to relaunch them if shit hits the fan. And easy to pack up and swim in with. The key as always when foiling is to not drop your kite!
4. They are CHEAP. You can buy 2 foil specific kites for the price of 1 LEI.

All of this is from reading forums based out of Europe and watching a few YouTube videos so might be BS...

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 02, 21 10:36 pm    Peak 4 Reply with quote

I've read a lot of the rave reviews you have and contemplated getting a Peak 4 last year. I ended up getting some UFOs instead and really like them. Yes, they require a pump but they are so small with no struts so pump is easy. The cost is only marginally more than the Peak 4, and the UFO is pretty hard for me to outrun.

I think the only reason that a foil kite really appeals to me is the possibility of ultra low-wind foiling. Truth is though, ultra low wind foiling in the gorge is basically a mythical unicorn. While a foil kite can stay in the air minimal wind, it will fall in no wind. And most of the time when the wind in the gorge is averaging sub-10, the lulls are near zero.

But I'd also love to hear from others like Tyler K. Maybe some in the Gorge love them. But most of the ram air foils I see in the gorge are foil-racer types, not free ride foilers. The are probably better for steady coastal winds, and if I lived in San Diego I'd probably have a quiver of Peak 4s.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 06, 21 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

I've been riding the 5m Peak 4 for 2 years now and it's amazing for riding bumps downwind in light wind. For me at 165 lbs with 1600 sqcm wing it works in 8-16 knots, but under 10 knots it's a real workout. 12 knots is the sweet spot. It can probably go up to 24 knots but it gets pretty flappy around 16.

I only really foil in LW, never boost, and just try and ride tiny swell downwind so for me they are perfect.

I just picked up the 6m Peak 4 but haven't had it out yet. I'm hoping it'll be 7-15 with a sweet spot of 10 knots.

This kite also doubles as the single best LW teaching kite available in shallow waters.

bfrench

Since 31 Oct 2015
11 Posts

PostThu Apr 22, 21 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
The Peak 4 is a single skin snowkite. It's not designed to be dropped on water. You can use it on water.... but if you drop it and don't relaunch in a minute or 2..... it will most probably fill with water and sink.

With so many great foil kites on the market - wondering why you're considering a single skin foil kite?

Because the drift is unlike any other kite on the market. Its the only kite I want to use now for foiling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: