Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jibing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 28, 07 2:01 pm    Jibing Reply with quote

I'm going to practice my jibing a surfboard this weekend... just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to switch directions and feet quickly... i'd like to ride switch back in (I'm goofy), so I don't have to ride backside on the wave.

Geno

Since 07 Apr 2006
64 Posts

PostWed Mar 28, 07 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

The leg work will come naturally if you're comfy on the board, so try to be fairly nimble and close to the center line of the board. But the most important hint I can give you when jibing a directional board is not looking down at your feet but keeping your head up and looking in the direction you're traveling. Jibing a kite board is alot easier then people make it out to be so I have no doubt you'll figure it out in a few hours.
And if the coast or the river deliver this weekend I will be glad to demonstrate how to jibe.
pm on Fri. if you go out this wknd

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Mar 29, 07 8:40 am     Reply with quote

hey elvis,

try the article below. good info and explanations on the footwork. everything is relative though. i actually switch my feet first, then change direction. that was more comfortable for me. that being said, when i get back out this year, i am going to try it the way this guy does it in the article to see if it makes it any easier.

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/kiteboarding/articles/how-to-gybe-a-directional.aspx

kt

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostThu Mar 29, 07 9:50 am    skim technique? Reply with quote

hey guys,

is this the best way to jibe a skimboard too?? seems like having both feet "momentarily" up near the front of board (near front straps on surfboard) would work for a bouyant surfboard, but not so well for skim.

any good alterations for skim other than just keep feet as centered as possible when switching?

thanks.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 29, 07 10:25 am    Mocean - Comments Reply with quote

Mocean,

If I remember, you got an SRT and did the Jibe thing last year or the season before.

Can you add to this, with your experience.

My difficulty is getting back into the frick'n straps with booties Evil or Very Mad

BK

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Mar 29, 07 10:28 am     Reply with quote

kss - in my experience the easiest way to switch direction on the skim (without just riding it backwards) is to do a hop and "shuv-it" around 180 degrees and land on it in the new direction.

Its not too difficult (to me much easier than jibing which I haven't figured out yet), and you don't lose any ground going downwind.

The trick is timing with your kite so you are bringing it overhead and basically weightless when doing the shuv-it.

1) start to come to a stop
2) bring kite overhead
3) when kite is directly overhead do a hop and spin the board
4) land on the board and dive the kite in the new direction

Also don't worry too much if your board doesn't do a perfect 180 and your feet don't land in exactly the right place. Great thing about a skimboard is you can ride it sideways if you have to, get your feet moved to the right spot after you're planning in the new direction.

Works for me. Thumb's Up

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Mar 29, 07 10:51 am     Reply with quote

On my skim...honestly, most of the time, I just ride it backwards and don't switch my stance...

Otherwise, when I try to jibe, I ride powered going downwind and flat on the board and jump to switch footing, then finish the turn/jibe...but still working on it.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostThu Mar 29, 07 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for input.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 29, 07 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

For one, I don't wear booties, ever. When jibing, I like to pull my back foot out of strap, do a downwind turn, move my back foot up by my front, keeping the kite high and the board moving off the wind, then move my old front foot back, old back foot into the front strap, turn into the wind on the new trajectory, and jam the back foot into the strap. One thing I quickly realized is that you can ride easily with both feet up by the front strap. Just keep the kite high and take your time. After about two days I was hitting 80-90% of them.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 29, 07 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

Even when the footwork is similar, every board gybes very differently. It’s interesting when you move between boards and notice how big the difference is. I personally prefer to make a really snappy gybe and never let the board ride far downwind. I never keep both feet up front.

Skimboard: I would rather fall in the water every time and switch it than ride it backwards. What works for me is somewhere in between a carving gybe like a surfboard and a shuffle of your feet that spins the board. I kind of walk the board around the turn and stay on a plane. It’s easier in flatter water. I find all gybing very psychological and some days I can nail most and others I fall a ton.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Mar 29, 07 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

There is more to jibing than just making it around.

A long carving jibe at speed unhooked with a downloop... Bliss

Or a quick snap with a high loop... to get to the peak

let's talk tacking...

Geno

Since 07 Apr 2006
64 Posts

PostThu Mar 29, 07 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
let's talk tacking...

tacking is fairly difficult unless your on a Little Fat Bastard in flat water

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 29, 07 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

On my skim, I just bring the kite high, do a shove-it so I'm riding backwards, and then a normal transition. I land it about 10% of the time, but I'm improving. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: