Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lyle access !?@$%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 21, 21 9:13 pm    Lyle access !?@$% Reply with quote

Lyle Sandbar Access Update - (announcement from CGWA).

The City of Lyle Community Council has voted and approved a proclamation committing to work with all entities and interested parties to bring about public access to The Lyle Sandbar for the safety and enjoyment of the community. The signed document will be presented to the Board of County Commissioners with a request to assist in the planning, obtaining of funds, and implementation this project.

See the news story and learn more here - https://www.newsbreak.com/washington/klickitat/news/2184357278750/sandbar-access-document-to-go-to-commissioners?fbclid=IwAR1YabcrWravvDxw9g6fe3yzgwiVQZzftXZTdtWVKezxBaDlSn0Mma2vmeE

Please add your personal voice of support to The Lyle Community Council and Klickitat County Commissioners and consider joining The GGW2 in full support of this effort. Contact us by phone or email to learn how you can become directly involved.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostMon Mar 22, 21 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Hurray, just when I started to get into winging because I was tired of the local kiting access situation.

Will be looking into how I can support.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 22, 21 8:40 am    Tough knot to unravel Reply with quote

This is certainly a worthy endeavor. Join the CGWA, the folks who brought us the RR crossing at Doug’s beach. If anybody can loosen the railroad’s stranglehold on river access, it’s the CGWA.

MrGie

Since 17 Feb 2015
55 Posts

PostSun Apr 04, 21 10:23 am    Last weekend Reply with quote

I was there for the first time last week and when I saw the fence with concrete barrier I was discouraged to try to bring my gear over.

A police car drove by looking at me looking at the fence.

Not sure if this fence was there before but it doesn’t look Kiteboarding friendly at the moment.

Has anyone tried going over this fence?

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostMon Apr 05, 21 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

Lyle Community Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/LyleCommunityCouncil/

Watch for a Zoom link for an April 13th community council meeting.

And for the love of kiting, please don't post on this thread about current Lyle access situation. It's still taboo and gets threads locked.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostMon Jun 21, 21 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Calling all Lyle kiter residents, or local Lyle sandbar lovers.

If you're a Lyle resident and enjoy the sandbar for whatever reason, and you're interested in supporting the cause for safe/legal sandbar access, please send me a PM.

Small update on the topic: A small group of people (4 strong now) are meeting regularly to work proposals/outreach in support of sandbar access. Only one of those folks (myself) is actually a kiter. Since the sandbar is such a great kiting location, we're looking to form a small local group as advocates for the safe/legal sandbar access project.

It's slow, but we're working it! Keep up the good vibes, and treat the Lyle location with respect (don't litter and be safe), and we'll have an easier job at succeeding with safe/legal sandbar access.

-Taylor

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 21, 21 12:35 pm    PM Sent Reply with quote

Thanks for the effort and information...

Mc

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 21, 21 12:48 pm    Re: Last weekend Reply with quote

MrGie wrote:
I was there for the first time last week and when I saw the fence with concrete barrier I was discouraged to try to bring my gear over.

A police car drove by looking at me looking at the fence.

Not sure if this fence was there before but it doesn’t look Kiteboarding friendly at the moment.

Has anyone tried going over this fence?

don't go over the fence...especially not now that there is a movement to open it up!!!!

inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostThu Jun 24, 21 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Is using a SUP from the boat launch to get to the sandbar feasible?

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostThu Jun 24, 21 10:03 am     Reply with quote

inferno493 wrote:
Is using a SUP from the boat launch to get to the sandbar feasible?

Yes. When it is windy, the paddle to the sandbar could be daunting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: