Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waterproof Headphones for Kiteboarding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
earthsurfer526

Since 11 Jan 2009
54 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostThu Mar 25, 21 8:17 am    Waterproof Headphones for Kiteboarding? Reply with quote

What is the best setup for waterproof headphones for kiteboarding?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 25, 21 10:50 am    Re: Waterproof Headphones for Kiteboarding? Reply with quote

earthsurfer526 wrote:
What is the best setup for waterproof headphones for kiteboarding?

Following. I've been through 3 different purchases and they all have the same problem. That is that the water gets into the ear canal and floods the speaker.... all goes near dead. It might be my odd ears and your have a good seal (or never crash). My best luck is with after-market memory foam bud domes added to Pyle memory stick waterproof player. Others I know use bluetooth to a smartwatch.... but I think the BT cuts out when crashing?
Or... would like to hear reviews on bone conductor music.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostThu Mar 25, 21 11:45 am     Reply with quote

This is not an endorsement for a specific headphone, but if flooding the ear speaker is a common problem, then perhaps the new bone conduction headphones would be better.

I purchased the Aftershoks headphones for exercise, and I have been pleasantly surprised by their performance.

I have no idea how well they would survive full water immersion. They are fully sealed and have a proprietary charging port that has moisture detection.

I'm not willing to try kiting with them, but thought I'd put the bone conduction idea out there.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 25, 21 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

I gave up on kiting and lap swimming with earbuds including those designed specifically for water sports. Water gets into your ear and muffles the sound. Super annoying. You stop, clear the water, jam them in deeper and

Wait for it...

Repeat every 5 min

The jawbone types might be a much better option?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 25, 21 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

Following. I'm more interested in using an ear bud with my Samsung watch to communicate with others during a downwinder or out on the ocean.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 25, 21 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

Lots of threads on this.... do a search for waterproof tunes.

Example - http://nwkite.com/forums/t-42053.html&highlight=waterproof+tunes

earthsurfer526

Since 11 Jan 2009
54 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostFri Mar 26, 21 5:08 am     Reply with quote

So that link is from 2017 and none of those Amazon links are available anymore, which is why I’m asking again. I had a waterfi iPod shuffle which finally died (plus the ear buds never held up) so I am in the market again and can’t seem to find anything more reliable. What else do people link that they have used on the water?

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostFri Mar 26, 21 6:30 am     Reply with quote

I talked with a guy in La Ventana who was using some waterproof Sony

I haven't tried them yet but he said they were the best he'd ever had......

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Waterproof-dustproof-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B071NTXYNY/ref=asc_df_B071NTXYNY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385577198584&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2340922853096690883&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061081&hvtargid=pla-322744405886&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79288770955&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385577198584&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2340922853096690883&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061081&hvtargid=pla-322744405886

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 26, 21 7:48 am    OG experience. Reply with quote

My hearing is compromised from 40+years of listening to loud music and using headphones. I first used a sony cassette walkman for skiing in 1982!

It's just my opinion.... but if I had it to do over again..... I would never listen to music with headphones or earbuds. I would always use protection when operating power tools.

I tried music on the water- the wind noise was horrible and I compensated by turning the music up really loud. I threw it away after 2 sessions.
Sella wears a headband to counter the wind noise - that makes sense.

I miss skiing and biking with music but in the long term it's a risk to your hearing and I wish I hadn't done it in my 20's, 30's, 40's, etc.....
Actually that's a lie - I don't miss it.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 26, 21 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Whoops, I posted to the old thread... Sorry now we have two threads going.

Anyway, here's my opinion:

------------------
I just reviewed my Amazon purchases for waterproof wireless headsets. Since 2014 I have purchased 7 headsets for myself.

So, I think it is fair to say that the life expectancy of a bluetooth headset is about one year. To be fair, two of the headsets are somewhere in the bottom of the columbia and one is somewhere in the sea of cortez.

A key component to look for is Bluetooth 5.0

Assuming your phone supports it, it makes a huge difference. Even when I crash I rarely lose connectivity in the water. Also, battery life is not an issue. Pre bluetooth 5.0 batteries in headset would die before my session did.

My last purchase was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMFC4NP

Great sound quality, easy to use. Does not have a feature to skip over music tracks like some of my previous versions did.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Mar 26, 21 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Led Zeppelin and I mogul toured the yellow walkman "sport" back in the day and now my ears are not giving me a Whole Lotta Love! Laughing

Still, music on the water is fantastic when you're deep into your session so I recommend going to see the boys @ ProMotion in HR and checking out their beanie caps and headbands. They're thin, wide, comfortable and cover your entire ear. You can slam hard and they'll stay intact plus they block out wind noise and 99% water so you don't have to crank the volume up to 11. The only thing to be aware of is any controls of the bluetooth earpiece will not be easily accessible with the headband and it's a pain in the ass to deal with it once it's locked in. When you're out on the water and want to talk to to somebody it's good to have handy access to your phone (watch is best) for on/off, which is obviously key for launching / landing purposes as well.

Another potential bonus is I've NEVER had sinus issues and I am in the Columbia about 250 hours a season. I don't have allergies but we all know we ride through some nasty top layer spring pollen so having ear coverage is something to consider regardless.

My current Amazon waterproof blue tooth cheapies were purchased 2018 and still going strong.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 26, 21 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I gave up on kiting and lap swimming with earbuds including those designed specifically for water sports. Water gets into your ear and muffles the sound. Super annoying. You stop, clear the water, jam them in deeper and

Wait for it...

Repeat every 5 min

The jawbone types might be a much better option?

Eric, This is exactly my story. SO annoying. Especially when a close friend of mine has my identical gadget and enjoys it endlessly. We crash about the same level... I've come to the conclusion that it's something about my odd shaped ear canal which wants to flood constantly

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostSat Mar 27, 21 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

They all break. The non water specific ones seem to last just as long. I always used less expensive ones. They last longer if your wearing a hood and not gettin to sendy, which is tough when ya got tunes!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: