Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Couple o sauvies questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostWed Mar 17, 21 6:31 pm    Couple o sauvies questions Reply with quote

Yo yo long time Hope River local now stuck out In the land of P. Hoping to grab some after work sessions at sauvies. Never been , hoping it’s a fun place for some skimboard shenanigans? Is it just a west wind spot? Set up seems pretty clear for west... usually light but blows when other schtuff has some wind right? Thanks y’all and if anyone wants to get in a little shred out here in city land give me a shout! Names Mitch by the way, stoked to get back on the river, a bad ankle has kept me away last few years but feeling pretty good!

P.s. any access issues with the Ronas?

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Mar 17, 21 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

Another post-work spot to consider is Jones Beach. Bit further drive both ways, but stronger wind and less skunks, wind blows until dark typically. There's a time and place for both spots, though.

BrentB

Since 15 Aug 2015
9 Posts
Portlandia
Kook

PostThu Mar 18, 21 8:26 am     Reply with quote

North wind is preferred, NNW ideal. And with limited wind, the current matters more than you might expect. Foiling and surfboards are common.

It's one of my favorite spots. Wind blows late and it's perfect for an after-work session. Usually a small crew of kiters except on the rare Sauvies Nuking days (aka <10M kite wind).

Limited changes due to Rona - plenty of room to spread out. I'm Brent and will be on the lookout for you.

I'm not much of a skimboarder, but there are less waves than HR since the wind is side-shore. Plenty of sand though...

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostThu Mar 18, 21 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Brent! When the rest of the gorge is blowing standard Westies is there not quite enough north in it? Feel like those north days are more rare, and usually dredded elsewhere. Appreciate the info!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 18, 21 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

sauvies seems to work when the city is hot. good north flow makes it go
I'm with dern, just drive a bit farther to jones. solid wind in the mid 20s just about everyday sometimes stronger. hardly a soul to get in your way LOL
but remember your car will fill up with sand if you leave the door open too long!

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostThu Mar 18, 21 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

Roger that stringy. Those hot high pressure days is the ticket there. And yeah I’ll prob try and make some Jones sessions in too if I can make it out before to late!

Arb2me

Since 14 May 2019
28 Posts

PostFri Mar 19, 21 9:18 am    South wind? Reply with quote

Anyone ever had any luck with Sauvie’s in a south wind day? I’ve been day dreaming about it for a minute. Wind sensor readings look kite-able.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 19, 21 10:26 am    Sauvie souths Reply with quote

I've tried it but wouldn't recommend it unless you are just out for an adventure. Those south winds are generally storm driven, so super gusty. Stay close to shore and prepare to swim.

If you want to harness the winter south winds you may be better off going to Sunset and doing a downwinder.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Mar 19, 21 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

As for forecasting -

a) pay attention to the tides (outgoing tide = good)

b) the entire Kalama-Portland section of the Columbia tends to light up when the coast is also going off (it gets some of that northerly flow). Look for that N/NW flow direction on Windy around 5pmp, seems to be a pretty good forecast method. Also note that the more NW it is, the more localized the wind can be in that north-south stretch of the river due to wind shadow from the shore.

c) a foil would let you ride pretty much all the time. Though, a big kite and a skim can do a lot in light wind, as you know.

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostMon Mar 22, 21 6:43 am     Reply with quote

Ahhh I see thanks man!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: