Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone tried an e-foil yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostWed Mar 17, 21 10:50 am    Anyone tried an e-foil yet? Reply with quote

I think this has come up in the past but I couldn't find anything when I searched. Looks like there are a few options out there, with a pretty big price range. Would be curious to hear from anyone who has tested them.

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostWed Mar 17, 21 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

join this FB group and you will have all the info you need:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/130792084215214

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 18, 21 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Please sell me on this. I tried it in August.... been kitefoiling for a few years. Fairly proficient in 15 minutes. Then by 40 minutes I was "Meh?"
We have a local here in Tacoma who checks the container ship arrivals like we check iKite. Loves the swell on his $12K Lift.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 18, 21 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

We have a local here in Tacoma who checks the container ship arrivals like we check iKite. Loves the swell on his $12K Lift.

That seems to me what would be the best thing about an e-foil. So many ships to catch a wave on in the Columbia.

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostThu Mar 18, 21 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

Although the price is too rich for me
I have spent a hour or so on a efoil and I must say :

At some level its all TOF ( time on foil) and last time I checked
the wind doesn't always abide

To each his own - says the old wind junkie

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 19, 21 10:23 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Please sell me on this. I tried it in August.... been kitefoiling for a few years. Fairly proficient in 15 minutes. Then by 40 minutes I was "Meh?"

This is exactly what makes me not so interested in the e-foils. I'm sure it's incredible for someone who likes to jet-ski, but if you already enjoy the challenge of harnessing the wind for your watersports then an e-foil seems like a step in the wrong direction. Especially with big foil wings for kite HF and the option of wing HF there are just so many good and easy options around here for wind powered HF. But I'd love to hear alternative viewpoints. Maybe surfing ship wake would be fun...

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostFri Mar 19, 21 10:28 am     Reply with quote

For me it's all more time on the water when there is no wind. Drive up to a place, drop and go. It's not a substitute for kiting. It's a bit like downhill skiing on a groomer or a mogul run, leg workout especially if you go for 1hr+. Can cruise around and visit places, find flat water and carve around. Multiple wing options to suit all needs, race wings for speed, surf wings, large HAs for battery life and best of all a folding prop option to truly come down freighter/tug boat wake off throttle. And you can tow your buddy on a dwarfcraft 3-6 and a 633 Razz On sesh 20+ since late Jan in puget sound.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostMon Mar 22, 21 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Thanks all. Good to get the kiters' perspective. In reality, they're still too expensive for me, but it looks like a great no-wind way to be.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 22, 21 10:31 am     Reply with quote

I could buy a boat and make friends for $12k.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 22, 21 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
I could buy a boat and make friends for $12k.

Sold, I'll hold your beer for 1/2 that.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Mar 24, 21 9:43 am    Ohhhh Canada..... Reply with quote

We have 2 e-foils. They're here to stay, maybe not in the Gorge where wind is a cheap commodity, but inland the lake demand is booming.

However Canada, who has 60% of lakes worldwide, just outlawed e-foils. Transport Canada, which is equivalent to US Coastguard, just confirmed all e-foils with a propeller open or ducted are banned in Canada because of safety. $300 ticket. It's ridiculous but it seems an e-war is brewing as a revenue grab. The update is also a preview to how big they think the market will be.

However, $12k is ridiculous when all the kiters I know sip from the foil cup for free so my brother built our first one. $4k all in. He also builds e-bikes as a hobby so that helped, however they're pretty simple if you can dial-in the cooling. Online e-foil DIY sites will take you down the rabbit hole quickly. I see conversion kits being bigger than dedicated. If anybody knew a really smart design engineer and rad foiler I bet that person would be the game changer for thousands. (cough cough JS)

Battery costs have significantly decreased so the $6k-$8k price point is here BUT structural battery advances that are now being pushed into development is re-inventing electric design that will blow your mind away of what's in queue for size and power.

Our second one is a kickstarter Chinese Lift R&D copy. $3750 to my door. We modded it to accept Slingshot wings and it's pretty fun. Kids love it. My 10 yo girl will be up on foil this summer. They're silent, no fumes, and they pack in your car. Even Grandma and Grandpa like them because there's no braaap braap disturbing their duck family living under the dock.

I view the e-foil market is for the 99% of the global community that doesn't kite. Kiters will view them as having sex with a rubber. Still fun, but you've felt better and prefer unassisted assistance. Laughing Anyway, I get more enjoyment watching non-kiters use it. They go ape-shit for it and I just say "you really need to learn how to kite if you like this so much." Problem is....where they live....no wind.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 24, 21 10:19 am    Re: Ohhhh Canada..... Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Kiters will view them as having sex with a rubber. Still fun, but you've felt better and prefer unassisted assistance. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

GreasyRick

PostSat Mar 27, 21 7:57 am     Reply with quote

If I had $10k to blow on a toy... I'd put it in bitcoin so I might be able to afford rent someday

These sprinter-van yuppies just can't have enough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: