Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

long term options
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostTue Feb 16, 21 11:35 am    Lead Time Reply with quote

russiandangle wrote:
silly question for the experienced: what are the cons of getting a truck with a slide in camper with a utility storage box on top or a locker on the outside back of the rig?

Make sure to check the camper mfr's lead time. They r extremely popular now. I checked a couple of weeks ago. Over 12 months for one mfr and 54 weeks for another. So u would probably need to look used. Or wait a yr or two post covid. Should be a glut then. IMHO

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostMon Feb 22, 21 8:25 am    options Reply with quote

Lots of good info in this thread.
Baja- great drive, or easy flight. To keep your SO happy either way it might be good to rent a casita for your stay. Even a month is pretty reasonable. You have your Pilot or a rental car for getting around. Also you could split your trip between LV and LB.

Camper, trailer, coach RV, van et al. Each can be really nice and each has tradeoffs.

Until you experience some of your retirement destinations and find your groove, I would think, run with what you have and rent accomodations.
FWIW

Most of all enjoy your time off! Razz

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostMon Feb 22, 21 8:28 am    Re: Lead Time Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
russiandangle wrote:
silly question for the experienced: what are the cons of getting a truck with a slide in camper with a utility storage box on top or a locker on the outside back of the rig?

Make sure to check the camper mfr's lead time. They r extremely popular now. I checked a couple of weeks ago. Over 12 months for one mfr and 54 weeks for another. So u would probably need to look used. Or wait a yr or two post covid. Should be a glut then. IMHO

Totally agree, also a slide in camper usually weighs a ton...or more, so a substantial truck is needed, 3/4 ton or bigger.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Feb 22, 21 9:55 am    Re: options Reply with quote

jaksavage wrote:

Camper, trailer, coach RV, van et al. Each can be really nice and each has tradeoffs.

It was a Noah's ark of diversity on the mountain the other day.

There was at least a couple of everything

Sprinter type vans
Trailers
Converted school busses
Truckzillas
Truck campers
RVs

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 22, 21 11:31 am    Re: options Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
jaksavage wrote:

It was a Noah's ark of diversity on the mountain the other day.

There was at least a couple of everything

Sprinter type vans
Trailers
Converted school busses
Truckzillas
Truck campers
RVs

But what about Truckzilla Campers? That sounds like the ultimate.

navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostTue Apr 20, 21 9:09 am     Reply with quote

One way to make long drives tolerable and even enjoyable : good over the ear noise cancelling headphones. My fave: Sony WH 1000XM3 or XM4. 30 hr battery and superb noise cancellation. Then put on your favorite podcast or some Dead ...

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 20, 21 10:02 am     Reply with quote

navi wrote:
One way to make long drives tolerable and even enjoyable : good over the ear noise cancelling headphones.

Fair warning, this is against the law in many places.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 21, 21 5:44 am    Long term options Reply with quote

I think you have already figured out that there is no perfect answer.

You mentioned that you already live where you want to be for most of the year - good start. I say fly and rent when you leave - it is not going to be alot more expensive overall and you have the ability to decide to go anywhere. Buying the rig will cost you and you end up limited to where you can drive to.

With the new passes (epic and ikon) skiing cheap is easy - living out of an RV in the winter is uncomfortable at best. Utah/ SLC will always have reasonable places to live and tons of great skiing.

Good luck!

inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostWed Apr 21, 21 10:08 am     Reply with quote

You may want to look at housing $$ in Utah. I commute between SLC and PDX and I can tell you that both places are bananas right now. 600k seems to be the going rate for a starter home around SLC and Heber right now. Park City is exponentially higher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: