Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ss micro dwarf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostWed Feb 10, 21 11:16 am    ss micro dwarf Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am an intermediate foiler riding the 4'9 galaxy with the impulse. I can gybe and do air foot switches, I can ride river swell well enough, i have no issues riding in either direction or staying on mast. I found a descent deal on the previous years micro dwarfcraft ($400). Any reason I should not pick one up to have the ultimate compact kit for traveling?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 10, 21 11:34 am     Reply with quote

No. Get it. You will love it. It makes the ride seem much more connected and fun. Might take some adjustment to your technique to get up on foil, but after that it will be fine.

I started foiling on the 4'6 dwarfcraft. I kept it around as I though it might use it but once I got the micro the larger board has just been collecting dust.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 10, 21 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Get it!!
I too was on the 4'6" Dwarfcraft after a summer on the larger Alien Air SS. Now I'm on one of Brian's HFC 36 1/2" pocket boards and these tiny boards are perfect.

surfboy1968

Since 17 Jun 2008
217 Posts
south padre island
Stoked

PostThu Feb 11, 21 8:58 am     Reply with quote

I just bought one, good a great price, and I am still learning to foil. I am currently riding the 4'6" and I was wondering the same thing, will this board be too small for me, I weigh around 200 lbs, to continue learning basics???
I would love to hear from someone that as experience riding it. Slingshot team????John??

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 11, 21 11:31 am    Micro is the Way ! Reply with quote

I went from the 4'6 DC to the Micro as well ! It is perfect for progressing and travel.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 11, 21 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Once you are getting straight up onto the foil, having a bigger board doesn't make much sense.

Sure, some float will let you shuffle through your first sloppy foot changes on the water, but that's not really the goal. That's kinda like practicing a skill wrong hoping it will get right. But maybe having that cushion helps you try more things. Just knowing you arenot going in the drink every time.

Less mass swinging around and pitching up and down looks like the way to go.

But I'm curious about what you guys think about progressing. Once a foiler is up and riding in either direction and maybe some toe side on the strong direction, what order of new skills would be on the list? Foot changes? Turns downwind? tacks?

Seems like the foot change is key to building the other skills. would the big board be a help or hindrance?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 11, 21 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Foot changes? Turns downwind? tacks?

Seems like the foot change is key to building the other skills. would the big board be a help or hindrance?

For me the progression was/is: Downwind turns riding away toeside, followed by the heal-side downwind turn riding away proper. Then, once you're comfortable with that it's time to do both these moves with a foot-switch. 1'000 tries after that it's time to work your tacks.
You'll likely have better tack luck if you've already perfected these on your directional, but not an absolute necessity.

Board size? I don't think bigger is better, but I did find help with the hull shape on the Dwarfcrafts with at "cambered" rail. Some of the pocket boards I've owned since feel a bit more sticky when you want a touch & go footswitch. DC is smooth.

Flo

Since 02 Feb 2016
19 Posts
White Salmon

PostThu Mar 04, 21 12:35 pm    Dwarftcraft 4ā€™6 Reply with quote

Anyone wanna sell me their unused dusty 4ā€™6?
Iā€™m still looking for one!
Cheers,
Flo
5zero9-637-3735

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: