Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

new board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 28, 07 8:39 pm    new board Reply with quote

it took me forever...10 minutes here, an hour there...but finally, i finished this one.

i'm hoping it works as a light wind board that will transition to a moderate wind.

It's the size of an SS glide(http://www.sskiteboarding.com/products.cfm?id=12) with a few differences.
- following the guys from zero prestige (http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/zp/zeroprestige.html) and jimmy lewis, I 'pickle-forked' it just a little...not as much as the old days, but hopefully enough to help with the spray once the chop starts.

Then, thinking about what I wanted out of a light wind-er....I took a look at the Crazy-Fly light wind board (http://www.crazy-fly.com/), and I scalloped the sides about 1/2 inch at the deepest part, much like a snowboard, hoping that it would carve better upwind...who knows... most all the other boards expand out in the middle, so I have no idea how this will do.

finally, it has about 1/4" rocker total...just by accident, my "flat" rocker table had a little in it...

I laid it up with a mix of carbon fiber and fiberglass, being stiff in the center, and more 'flexy' towards the tips. it has about the same amount of overall flex as my LF Drop 132. Hopefully it will be stiff enough in the lightness and soft enough in the chop (isn't that what we all want?) Smile

I used NSI (Hein) stick on screw pads http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=13&idproduct=159
for the straps.

It came out right at 6lbs total with everything mounted. Not too bad...

I put cheap footpads and straps on until i find out if I even like the board. I'm going to ride it this weekend, wish me luck!

I know my painting skills suck, and my board making skills are amateur, so please don't tear me apart...

ps... couldn't decide what to do on the bottom, so I figured I'd just use it as advertising space... Very Happy

Board Front
 Board Front  28-03-07_2059.jpg 
Back
 Back  28-03-07_2100.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 28, 07 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

Looks mean dude! I wanna ride it!

Nothing better than a homemade lightwind board, especially one out of carbon! (with a killer paint job to boot.) Thanks for representing

Mr.Onepump

Since 11 Sep 2006
66 Posts
Albany

PostWed Mar 28, 07 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

looks like a light wind machine to me Rolling Eyes I like the concave sidewall!! Let us know how it performs.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Mar 28, 07 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

Looks good!!! Thumb's Up

You might not care, but I think you have the straps reversed (just right to left). I dunno, those asymmetrical ones feel funny when they're flipped sometimes. It's probably fine though... Very Happy

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostWed Mar 28, 07 10:47 pm     Reply with quote

Hey looks good.

When's the maiden voyage?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 29, 07 5:09 am     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Looks good!!! Thumb's Up

You might not care, but I think you have the straps reversed (just right to left). I dunno, those asymmetrical ones feel funny when they're flipped sometimes. It's probably fine though... Very Happy

yeah, i tried them both ways... i don't know that I like them either way, but this way they seemed a little easier to get into quickly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: