Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

UFO attachment to Duotone bar , does it need pigtails ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostThu Jan 21, 21 5:13 pm    UFO attachment to Duotone bar , does it need pigtails ? Reply with quote

Has anyone used a UFO with a Duotone or North bar?

The attachment to the inside lines are different , do I need to get pigtails for the inside lines and if so does that change the line length to the outside lines?

Last edited by phill on Thu Jan 21, 21 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 21, 21 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

Is the Duotone bar the same as Naish, the knots and loops just reversed from Slingshot? If so, order a set of "Line Pigtails" from Slingshot and replace the pigtails on the UFO with the line pigtails. This won't affect line length on the UFO, but if the Duotone lines/pigtails are setup for unequal length pigtails on the kite then there could be an issue. I'm not familiar with the Duotone bar, but it should be set up for equal length; I'd hope so anyways.

https://www.slingshotsports.com/Standard-Line-Pigtails-Kit

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 21, 21 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

Your Duo bar pigtails are easily switched in/out as needed to match knots or loops...

or if you hate re-using stuff you can get a brand new universal set like this one: https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp?prod=pks2018_universal_pigtail_v2

+1 for simple solutions

Mc

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostThu Jan 21, 21 6:57 pm    Has anyone used a UFO with a Duotone or North bar? Reply with quote

The UFO comes with pigtails only for the outside lines .Since the bridle does not come with pigtails on the UFO for the inside lines therefore I need to buy pigtails to connect to a Doutone bar . I just need to add pigtails of the same length as the pigtails that come with the UFO , to the bridle to make the outside and inside lines the same length.

Does that sound correct ?

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostThu Jan 21, 21 7:37 pm    Slingshot kites compatible with North or Doutone bars? Reply with quote

Slingshot kites compatible with North or Doutone bars?

Screenshot_Slingshot compatibility.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Screenshot_Slingshot compatibility.png
 Filesize:  181.55 KB
 Downloaded:  459 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 21 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

Looped pig tails on rears and knots on fronts I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nCMARLwhrA

Freeze frame between minutes 3-4 to see rears, and at 1:37 you can see knotted pig tails on fronts

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostThu Jan 21, 21 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

The UFO comes with pigtails only for the outside lines .Since the bridle does not come with pigtails on the UFO for the inside lines therefore I need to buy pigtails to connect to a Doutone bar . I just need to add pigtails of the same length as the pigtails that come with the UFO , to the bridle to make the outside and inside lines the same length.

Or are you connecting the 3 blue bridal lines directly to the inside bar lines , if so not sure what you meant by middle knot on the inside lines?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jan 22, 21 10:03 am     Reply with quote

phill wrote:

As a general rule of thumb with a 4 line kite you can increase/decrease the line length with pigtails without affecting the flight of the kite. If you want to keep the power/depower at the same ratio, it is important to change all 4 lines equally.

Thus, if I was going to add pigtails to the front lines (bridle) I would add pigtails of the same length to the back lines (kite or steering).

On a technical note, changing length of lines also changes their angle to the centerpoint on the bar. But, I believe this characteristic to be very minor with regards to flight of the kite.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jan 22, 21 11:39 am     Reply with quote

I tried the Duotone clickbar with Slingshot SSt's a couple of years ago.
They didn't fly well.
Duotone has a high V junction on the front lines.
Slingshot kites are designed for a low V on the front lines.
Your mileage may vary.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jan 22, 21 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
They didn't fly well.
Your mileage may vary.

Seems to me:

Less angle = Flatter leading edge (at least from the bridle connection point)
More angle = More curved leading edge

So, SS bars would tend to create a flatter leading edge and the Duotone bar would tend to create a more curved leading edge.

Also, seems to me the bigger the kite the more impact this would have.

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostFri Jan 22, 21 6:25 pm    UFO attachment to Duotone bar Reply with quote

They didn't fly well.

So, SS bars would tend to create a flatter leading edge and the Duotone bar would tend to create a more curved leading edge. What then is the effect?

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostFri Jan 22, 21 6:31 pm     Reply with quote

I was late to the beach today so , I only flew my 9m UFO on the beach , all other kites had come in including 12m flysurfers as they were dropping out of the sky.
I understand that foiling on water with a UFO and flying a UFO on land are no comparisons .
However how will flying it with a Doutone , ( high V ) bar compared to a SS low V bar be?
What is the difference in feeling because this is what I experienced today.

I was able to easily self launch , several times by regular wingtip launching and also easily reverse launch in offshore light 7-10 knots.

I used pigtails on the inside lines with my Doutone bar , the Doutone bar has a short throw and it flew fine , however with maximum trim ( trim strap pullled completely ) it did slack the lines making the turning sloppy.

With the kite overhead no hands on the bar with the same offshore light wind , the kite would hang above me then move behind me , my bar would drop below my waist harness
and I thought oh shit , the kite would then drift back , my bar automatically raised and the kite assumed its original position. Like magic , every time.
This is kite defies light wind. I love this kite and cannot wait to get it on the water in the lightest of conditions.

ece85

Since 24 Mar 2020
4 Posts
Hood River
Kook

PostMon Jan 25, 21 8:23 am     Reply with quote

I recently got a new Duotone Trust Bar (their cheaper bar) and flew it with my Slingshot RPM (10m (2020) and 12m (2018)).

I liked how it felt.

I feel like i did notice the lower volume of the Duotone control lines vs the Slingshot Control lines. Kite felt like it was faster to maneuver. IDK maybe this was just in my head.

I did have to swap the centerline and outer line pigtails to be compatible with the my RPMs.

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostWed Feb 10, 21 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Just to be clear, the ufo has pigtails on the front and rear lines.

The duotone bars and lines have swappable pigtails,

So you can swap either one kite or bar and make it work.

Since I have duotone kites I swapped the slingshot ufo pigtails.

Why the industry can’t standardize this boggles my mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: