Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

cold water suit for a 12 year old yute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue Jan 19, 21 3:57 pm    cold water suit for a 12 year old yute Reply with quote

Who's got an opinion on a suit that would be good for a yute who's already kited the sandbar in 2021? I know...yes, I do know... that's asking for it. On a forum, I'm especially asking for it... That said, it didn't exceed my comfort level with risk as he was kiting onshore wind, strafing the sandbar, just upwind from it, and in knee deep water. I was good-with-it as long as he was super, super close, and I was right there, and he was standup water. And, we had a timer on him and had a whistle if not comfortable with it. It went fine, he did feel cold in his feet and hands. It was a good learning experience for him to know that it truly isn't that fun, when you get cold that fast...

Here's the question, given that this yute loves to kite, and will be chomping-at-the-bit come March, what are my suit options for him? He will be kiting the same place - onshore, not deep water, and sandbar in the spring until the water warms up.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 19, 21 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't a clue.
But I cannot resist telling you that you are awesome. Soak up and store every memory, every moment, because too soon you'll be 71 years old and living vicariously from tales like this on some silly forum.
Kip

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 19, 21 7:49 pm    Kip Reply with quote

Wise counsel

from the one & ONLY Flyote'

Mc

71 is the new 51 Thumb's Up

Regarding the suit anything 5/6mm - he's gonna need gloves and booties for early season maybe a hood too - you can go less thick if you get him a heavy pile fleece rash guard and wind-stop top, but you probably already knew that...Wetsuits are really good these days, he'll probably grow too fast to consider anything more like a dry suit - but as a first class kid he'd certainly look cool in just about anything you find...given all that indoor spin training on the super ramp...

Good Luck

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Jan 19, 21 9:06 pm    kids suit Reply with quote

i've had good luck with the quicksilver youth syncro 5/4 with hood for my kids. cleanline out on the coast carries them, and usually ship for free. seems a good suit for the price, seeing as they outgrow them in one year.

my son has kited in the ocean in his and was fine. March on the Columbia might be pushing that suit though.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jan 20, 21 6:58 am     Reply with quote

My kids grew up on Cleanline's youth suit swap out program. Each year we'd trade up and depending on the condition of the old vs. new it was little or no out of pocket.

Thumb's Up

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostThu Jan 21, 21 2:56 pm    thanks Reply with quote

Damn...this is a plethoraton of very helpful information. I really appreciate it, and your words Kip. Supporting and encouraging a 12 years old in his discoveries, development, and progression is about the best thing I've ever experienced.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 21, 21 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is a suit for a Yute...

09f27be723080a2bcda0c9a800b4c3eb.jpg 

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Jan 22, 21 8:32 am    suit Reply with quote

I have found the lower price point surf suits with a hood to be the best option. They outgrow the suit before it wears out. 5mm is minimum thickness for early spring in my opinion. Most are still glued and at least critically taped.

I did not use the trade in program at Cleanline or Gorge Performance but worth checking into.

Josh at Cleanline is very helpful and honest. I highly recommend a visit.

lastly, make sure the suit fits properly Smile

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jan 22, 21 8:43 am     Reply with quote

Since you're in HR, I would suggest reaching out to gary at ride engine. Maybe they will start the new line for youths and your kid could be their test pilot!
Worth checking out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: