Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

twisted kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 04, 20 8:14 pm    twisted kite Reply with quote

Just wondering about the twist in a kite I recently picked up.

The kite inflates fine, I don't see any visible sign that the bladders are twisted, but when I put the kite down on it's leading edge, there's a noticeable twist from one end to the other, say 10 or 20 degrees. I've never seen anything like this in any of my other kites. Normally when I lift a kite overhead holding the middle strut, it's pretty uniform looking, but this one isn't. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, it may fly just fine, but in case it doesn't want to drift/fly straight, do I have any options, or is it cursed with this twist. Maybe the bladders are partially twisted at ends, could that cause it ?

Anyone ever run into anything like this ?

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Dec 05, 20 7:51 am    Twisted Kite Reply with quote

Most likely the leading edge bladder was not installed correctly. I would not fly it.
Easy to fix. Pull it out. Then when you put it back in , lay the leading edge flat so the seams are on the outside edges. Pull the bladder back in with it's edges/seams on the outside as well. Very likely this will fix the issue.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Dec 05, 20 9:05 am    Re: Twisted Kite Reply with quote

kwalshpc wrote:
Most likely the leading edge bladder was not installed correctly. I would not fly it.
Easy to fix. Pull it out. Then when you put it back in , lay the leading edge flat so the seams are on the outside edges. Pull the bladder back in with it's edges/seams on the outside as well. Very likely this will fix the issue.

Agree.

When you replace/repair a leading edge it is pretty easy to twist it when you are putting the bladder back in.

Preparation:
- Find a location with plenty of room where you can fully lay out your kite.
- You will require new zip ties for each of the strut connections

1) Unhook all struts
2) Locate the access ports at the wing tips
3) Open the access ports and release your bladder's wingtips. Note once you have the port open you will have to disconnect the bladder from the kite. Usually the bladder is wrapped around a connecting strap inside the kite's chamber.
4) Tie a line to the bladder at both wing tips (so you can get the bladder back in)
5) Pull out the bladder (the lines tied to both wingtips are now inside your kite's leading edge chamber)
6) Untie your lines from the bladder
7) Prep your bladder. This is extremely important. You are going to split your bladder into two 20" wide piles such that your bladder can easily be fed back into your kite chamber without twisting.
7a) Starting from the center of your bladder (with the center being at the bottom of the two piles) and following the seam line develop the base of the two piles. This should be a 40" base centered on the center of your bladder.
7b) Following the seamline develop both 20" wide piles.
7c ) Looking at your fill and outake valves confirm which side of the bladder goes which way in the kite.
7d) Secure one side of the pile with a line or rubber band so it doesn't come apart while you are feeding the other side.
8.) Tie your pull string back on to the bladder's wing tips
9) Slowly and carefully feed your bladder (both sides) back through your kite chamber taking care not to twist.
10) Reconnect all strut ports and the bladder ends
11) Inflate your kite to a limp position (Just put enough air in your kite so that you can seat the bladder, but don't add any pressure).
12) At every strut connection work the bladder around until you are sure the joints are in the correct position.
13) Very important - At the wingtips confirm there is sufficient slack at the wingtips connectors. Also, confirm there is no air on the back side of the connector.
14) Fill up with pressure and confirm there are no gaps between the kite chamber and your bladder.

Any gaps (or possibly even your twist) between your bladder and the kite chamber can lead to an exploding kite... Not something you want to happen while on the water.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 05, 20 10:27 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'm hopeful that re-installing the bladder will correct it.

I'll post an update when I find out.

safetychek

Since 07 Nov 2006
72 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Dec 06, 20 7:11 am     Reply with quote

I have also seen that problem as a result of putting the kite down in the surf, and one wingtip gets pounded by a wave. One side of the kite gets a little stretched, and the leading edge isn't straight.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Dec 06, 20 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Also seen it from ‘death’ looping kite with the person in/under water. Due to the amount of pressure you can get like this I think it can stretch one side of the kite and leave it twisted. Seen it happen but the reason is just a guess.
But I agree the bladder twist is a far more common reason.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 06, 20 11:38 pm    it wasn't the bladder Reply with quote

OK, I pulled the LE out and wow, it had a large patch on it, so I was like yeah, good chance a twisted bladder is the problem. I reinstalled the bladder thinking the twist would be gone, but nope, the twist was still there Sad The LE on one side of kite felt stiffer, the other looser, made me think it may have been slammed or pounded in the surf as safetychek said, it's a surf kite.

The kite looks barely used, so I thought maybe the stiffer side just needs to get loosed up some to match up with the looser side. So, I let some air out of the LE and did some reverse twisting of the leading edge, worked the stiffer side mostly. Doing this actually reduced the twist a bunch. I was surprised, so maybe it'll be OK. Smile

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Dec 07, 20 3:07 am     Reply with quote

interesting.

So, my first thought is back to the basics.

You have three components:
1) bladder
2) structure of kite material around bladder (seams, fabric, threads etc.)
3) bridal

I guess you have lines too, but I would think a line issue would not present itself as described.

It seems unlikely to me that the fabric, seams, or threads of a kite could change that much. I see it as a possibility, but I would think damage to that degree would be visible when the kite is deflated. Now, if you see patches, thats a different story, but without patches... fabric, seams, and thread seem pretty rigid to me.

Any possibility this is a bridal issue?

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 08, 20 6:28 pm    bridle is good Reply with quote

This kite is the most pre-inspected used kite ever, I definitely am looking forward to its first flight test.

I confirmed the bridle segments are all exactly the same length, so no issues with bridle. The bridle lines are heavy duty lines (Capetown FL610), doubt these will ever stretch.

I considered the idea that the main inflate valve was attached inside out of alignment, so tried various little bits of rotation, no effect. I also considered the side strut valve maybe was causing some twisting/pulling pressure, so I pulled some bladder towards it from both sides so there was lots of loose bladder around it to negate any twisting force when inflated, no effect. I've now given up on the bladder causing the twist, think it's the fabric in the LE, it seems to be pre-disposed to twist more one way than the other. I have seen struts in various kites have an unexplained twist in them, maybe it's like that.

Hopefully, when the kite is in the air, the bridle will provide the correct shape, so it will probably fly OK. The big question is how it will drift when there's no tension on the lines.

J

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Dec 08, 20 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

I hope you dont give up on this. Also, be sure to update us when you figure it out. It's a good learning experience.

If all else fails take it to a kite repair guy. There's a few really good repair guys around that I'm sure could figure it out.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 08, 20 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

Dangler. Calling Dangler!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: