Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lot D Setting up very nicely for Wed
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Dec 01, 20 10:22 am    Lot D Setting up very nicely for Wed Reply with quote

About a 1pm high tide tomorrow with sunny skies, east winds, predicted 51* high, and a pretty high high tide too. It doesn't get much better than that. . .

Rooster too cold for me and 70 gusts are predicted to start later today/this evening.

Looking 10m right now with surfboard out there.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 01, 20 10:18 pm    D' Lot Reply with quote

Sasquatch,

Thx for the heads up - gonna make the trip out with a +1 to see what this "ponds" thing is all about...

Have an IPA for ya if you can join us.

Fingers crossed we'll have a good post game report - December is for Kiting!

STOKE LEVEL is HIGH

Mc

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Dec 01, 20 10:40 pm     Reply with quote

McLovin here’s more stoke for you

24388246-4CC4-46DA-8D7A-86E4E22180A3.jpeg 

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 01, 20 10:52 pm    42 Reply with quote

knotwindy,

HAHA YES!!!!! Best shirt ever - I'm scouring the internet for it as we type.

What a GREAT OMEN for tomorrow.

Thumb's Up

PS - Rooster winds are shaking my house. already have some limbs down in yard...

PSA - Please don't KITE Rooster tomorrow, just in case anybody was on the fence.

Mc

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed Dec 02, 20 10:14 pm    Re: 42 Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
PS - Rooster winds are shaking my house. already have some limbs down in yard...

PSA - Please don't KITE Rooster tomorrow, just in case anybody was on the fence.

Mc

I had my wetsuit and booties hanging out in my yard from kiting Rooster on Sunday and well... The damn wind blew it all away. I searched everywhere and all I was able to find was one of my wife's booties. So yeah, Rooster was a big no go for today Laughing

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 02, 20 11:09 pm    Post Game Report Reply with quote

Marcus, Noooo can't believe the wind stole your wetsuit...it's still cranking!

knotwindy, GOT THE 42 SHIRT!

Sasquatch et al.

OMG!

-par·a·digm shift
/ˈperəˌdīm SHift/

noun

a fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions.
"new geophysical evidence supporting my theory @ideal kiting destinations led to a rapid paradigm shift in my conception of the Oregon Coast and tributaries"

Let's just say the WIND Gods smiled on our journey today... grateful to be one of the lucky few... I'd love some tips on forecasting for da Ponds - what are the most salient conditions to watch for - other than Nuking Rooster and sun etc. in Astoria / Megler Bridge and Tides of course?

Experienced more variety in our 2 1/2 hours today than almost any other destination to date. The STOKE METER is jammed up at Stoke Level 9999 may take some time for it to return to baseline.

DECEMBER is 4 Kiting...

Mc

PIC = unknown happy kiter @Ponds

2020-12-02_22-43-18.png 

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 03, 20 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

Ponds was great yesterday, 8m and tt. Island boosting time.

Did a bit of exploring south of the pylons and ran into Swamp Man rising from the depths. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Beware the Swamp Man!!!!

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostFri Dec 04, 20 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Anyone think the ponds will be a go for today or is it better to stick with Rooster? Temira is saying 40-50 near Rooster and her averages tend to be a bit on the low side sooooo Confused

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Dec 04, 20 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:
Anyone think the ponds will be a go for today or is it better to stick with Rooster? Temira is saying 40-50 near Rooster and her averages tend to be a bit on the low side sooooo Confused

Ya must of found your wetsuit Shocked Laughing

From the reading I see, it doesn't appear east wind is flowing from RR to the coast cleanly. Weak 5mph out at Astoria and a later afternoon high tide I'd pass if coming from afar. But you never know till you go!

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostFri Dec 04, 20 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Marcus O wrote:

Ya must of found your wetsuit Shocked Laughing

From the reading I see, it doesn't appear east wind is flowing from RR to the coast cleanly. Weak 5mph out at Astoria and a later afternoon high tide I'd pass if coming from afar. But you never know till you go!

I did, pretty far from my house too! The booties are gone for good, though. I'm already seeing rainbows on the water on the rooster cam. Worst case it's a day trip to the beach.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 06, 20 12:55 am    Lot D +1 Reply with quote

Sasquatch,

Technically I owe you another beer - gotta love those temps!

December is for KITING!

Mc

2020-12-06_00-49-07.png 

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostSun Dec 06, 20 7:32 pm    Re: Lot D +1 Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
Sasquatch,

Technically I owe you another beer - gotta love those temps!

December is for KITING!

Mc

Nice! I almost went out there yesterday too but the forecast looked a little iffy. Friday was good until a spectator called the coast guard when they saw my wife self rescue to the island after the wind died — an inconvenient situation for sure but definitely didn't require coast guard assistance. She was just packing her stuff up while waiting for the tide to go out a bit more and out of nowhere comes a helicopter Laughing

IMG_4728.jpg 

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 06, 20 10:01 pm     Reply with quote

Are you talking about the little sand island in the cove. That is just a stones throw from the launch point!!

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostSun Dec 06, 20 11:07 pm     Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
Are you talking about the little sand island in the cove. That is just a stones throw from the launch point!!

Haha yep that's the spot! She was just chilling over there killing some time while the tide went out enough to walk back over — it was high tide on an ebb. Not a big deal but holy crap, when I got back to shore around 12 EMS vehicles showed up and then a helicopter, a 20 foot boat and two wave runners. I was like "hey you know she can just walk back over here in a bit, right? I guess once the call goes out they have to respond. So embarrassing Embarassed

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 20 12:54 am    EMS Reply with quote

Marcus Cool

Great story - lol Full Air Cavalry Mode: https://youtu.be/nZ_zNUmr8fM

Maybe we need to post a sign in the Wildlife Viewing Bunker that says something about Kiters being part of the natural habitat...and reminding people of the traveler's 1st rule below.

Had something similar happen to me at Rooster last year - will save that story for another time...

Guess it's nice to know that response is so readily available, here's hoping we never really need it.

Mc

2020-12-07_00-40-29.png 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Dec 07, 20 11:35 am    Re: Lot D +1 Reply with quote

Quote:
. . . they saw my wife self rescue to the island after the wind died — an inconvenient situation for sure but definitely didn't require coast guard assistance. She was just packing her stuff up while waiting for the tide to go out a bit more and out of nowhere comes a helicopter Laughing

From my experiences there, the more west one goes from the point (deeper into the lagoon) the lighter/sh@ttier the wind gets. That is not to say one can't ride over there, but greater chance get wind shadowed or have the wind die off and drop your kite. Ebbing tide (current) and smelly and slicker than snot to deal flat mud are elements not much fun to deal with.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Dec 07, 20 11:55 am    Re: Lot D +1 Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
From my experiences there, the more west one goes from the point (deeper into the lagoon) the lighter/sh@ttier the wind gets. That is not to say one can't ride over there, but greater chance get wind shadowed or have the wind die off and drop your kite. Ebbing tide (current) and smelly and slicker than snot to deal flat mud are elements not much fun to deal with.

Yeah the wind was almost non-existent further into the lagoon. We were kiting closer to the outside where the wind was nice and steady. The mistake we made was pushing it when we knew the wind was dropping and the tide had flipped. She did a big long tack out where she got stuck in a lull that sent her a little too far down wind into the no wind zone. Too far out to self rescue back to the beach due to the tide so the island seemed like a nice spot to spend the next few hours.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: