Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Baja this winter
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostMon Nov 02, 20 7:13 pm    Baja this winter Reply with quote

How are you all feeling about heading down to Baja this winter? Mulling over LV late January - flying to Cabo. Main concern - that giant arrivals room where you wait in a snaky lineup to get your passport stamped. Haven't had much intel about LV itself.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 03, 20 8:50 am     Reply with quote

I'm not going. Some cases in LV. I forgot about the customs line...super spreader for sure! I spent almost 2 hours in it one year with many passengers from around the world. I doubt the line will be very long this year. My sister just flew on Delta, very safe, but she felt very uncomfortable on the train between concourses at DIA, packed to the gills!

Arb2me

Since 14 May 2019
28 Posts

PostTue Nov 03, 20 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Anybody planning on driving down?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 03, 20 10:34 am     Reply with quote

I'm driving down after Thanksgiving. Planning to stay in LV for December and January.
I have a camper van and a guitar, not much for socializing. I'm outside 99.9% of the time.
Although I'm old.... I'm in good health and I don't consider myself at risk if I get the virus.
Can't wait......

lv campsite.jpg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 03, 20 11:24 am     Reply with quote

For any of you not going to LV, there is a dedicated winter foiling crew that foils all winter at Viento/Stv/RR

Eagles, snowflakes and frozen rainbows in abundance

You need:

Drysuit or 6/7 mm wetsuit
5mm gloves
5mm Hood
Parks Pass

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 03, 20 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Can’t say much about flying or La Ventana but we drove down to Los Barriles and the drive was easy, border was the same as always and it is hot down here. Everyone here is wearing masks and physical distancing, restaurants are all open at half capacity with lots of room. Town is still pretty empty so it feels very safe. Beach’s are open and it’s hard to go wrong with fresh air, few people and 22knots with warm water. No idea what will happen as the holidays and crowds show up(maybe?) but right now it is paradise. As always, things can change and YMMV. Not sure this helps or answers any of your questions but it’s all I got for now.

Arb2me

Since 14 May 2019
28 Posts

PostWed Nov 04, 20 12:06 am     Reply with quote

I’m not too concerned about the drive down and I plan on isolating while I’m down there but I’m worried that if cases go back up they’ll shut down the beaches again. My worst nightmare is to drive 5 days down there only to have to watch the wind and not be able to get in the water...

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Nov 04, 20 2:56 am    Here Reply with quote

The drive is fine, were here as well as others. Same concern as above though. If the beaches shut down again we will probably drive back to AK for the snowkite and ski season.

www.freeridekiting.com

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 04, 20 6:10 am     Reply with quote

Again, this does not apply to La Ventana but the ‘county’ line runs right between Los Barriles and Buena Vista, with one being in La Paz & the other being in Cabo areas so if only one closes the beaches you can still kite, as has happened before. If they both close, then you’re screwed. So it does increase your chances a bit.
But these days, Quien sabe? Vamos a ver.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 04, 20 9:41 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I'm driving down after Thanksgiving. Planning to stay in LV for December and January.
I have a camper van and a guitar, not much for socializing. I'm outside 99.9% of the time.
Although I'm old.... I'm in good health and I don't consider myself at risk if I get the virus.
Can't wait......

Oh How I wish I were you right now. This is exactly what I'd be preparing for. After 11 years of round trips I can assure everyone that the drive is wonderful. I drove home from Central Mexico on May 1st in the middle of lock-down and it was by far the most restful return of 11 years.
The overriding decider here is I just cannot bring the virus into our home. If I were single I'd be halfway there this morning. Friend in LV telling me the front row at the main campground is only half full!!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 04, 20 9:46 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
For any of you not going to LV, there is a dedicated winter foiling crew that foils all winter at Viento/Stv/RR

Eagles, snowflakes and frozen rainbows in abundance

You need:

Drysuit or 6/7 mm wetsuit
5mm gloves
5mm Hood
Parks Pass

Yep... After 11 years retired in Mexico (and a long ago retired drysuit), I've stocked up on all this supply list. Was toasty yesterday in my new RE hood, OR Soul, new gloves. Tacoma Wa

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 05, 20 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

The overriding decider here is I just cannot bring the virus into our home. If I were single I'd be halfway there this morning.
Go straight to the clinic when you get back in town and get a quick response test? 30 minute wait and you know it's OK to go home...

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Nov 06, 20 8:19 am     Reply with quote

I think if you're concerned about travel, you could consider what Hawaii has done to get tourism moving again. I had a car in Hawaii that had to be moved from where it was. In October Hawaii implemented their pre-travel test program. You get a negative test within 72 hours of departing for Hawaii and you're OK to skip the quarantine. I took advantage of that and went to Hawaii on Oct. 17. The process was quick and easy. I used the AFC urgent care clinic in Portland for my test. You make an appointment and for the most part insurance covers your test. I showed up at my appointment time and 45 minutes later they swabbed me. 30 minutes after that I had a negative test result in my hand. $20 co-pay.

When I go to Baja, I'll get a test just prior, and I'll self quarantine after the test until I leave. When I get home, I'll get another test. Is this process foolproof? No, nothing is. But it should make your travel risk factor smaller than going out to a restaurant. Of course, it doesn't address what happens if you catch something and get sick in Baja.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Nov 06, 20 9:34 am     Reply with quote

I’m not sure how much you can trust government statistics but as of now there are no reported active cases in Sargent/Ventana or Barriles. There are web sites you can check the current stats but being here it all feels safe and folks are paying attention to the details and doing what is ‘right’ to make sure it stays this way. Of course, only time will tell if the info is right &/or useful.
For what it’s worth, I feel safer here than up there. And just to make this even more annoying, the kiting has been good so far even though November can be very inconsistent, great or terrible. Hot, warm water, windy & cheap cerveza fria. Todo esta bien ahora.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 08, 20 8:24 am     Reply with quote

If anyone is driving down and needs some extra gear capacity I have a 2" hitch cargo carrier (60" x 22" folds up) that I am hoping to get down to LV.... PM if interested...

navi

Since 23 Aug 2014
71 Posts

PostTue Nov 10, 20 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Nice setup, LD!

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Nov 12, 20 11:17 am     Reply with quote

I would be more concerned about getting hurt, needing medical attention, ending up in a "hospital" for any reason; even non-COVID. Not a good year for this...I'd stick to the eagles, snowflakes and frozen rainbows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: