Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How to disassemble LP foil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostTue Oct 20, 20 9:06 am    How to disassemble LP foil? Reply with quote

I am trying to take apart a LP carbon foil. I cannot remove the fuselage from the mast and also the front wing from the fuselage. Is there any trick to it?
Thanks!

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostTue Oct 20, 20 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

You need a 3 foot threaded rod. it pushes the wing off the fusalage through the tail. THESE ARE VERY TIGHT! the tail piece comes off to get the threaded rod into the front wing.

I'll have to go look at mine. i know there is a bolt that is double sided with a threaded insert that goes through the fuse and mast all of this comes out. then with a rubber hammer and some cloth/rags you bang it off.

Its not easy changing wings as the tight fit without the threaded rod your gonna break something trying to get the wing off.

I think the rod is standard size (sorry dont remember if its 5/16 or 7/16 should be able to get one at the ACE or any hardware store. ) you might even bring the foil with you and try them out in the store. I don't do the drill method but opt for the double nut method to not strip or marr threads and use a wrench or socket.

Even better yet here is a video straight from the horses mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeUSbeU7j3g&feature=emb_logo

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostTue Oct 20, 20 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks, I saw the video. Wha kind of standard rod and thread is it? What should I ask them for?

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostTue Oct 20, 20 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know the pitch of the thread. I do know at ace and other hardware shops there is a bin of random metals that include threaded rod in 3-4 foot lengths in different sizes. An automotive store also may have these as you cut them to length and can do various projects with them where standard bolts don't have enough thread, just add a couple nuts and you have any length of full threaded bolts.

If I get a chance ill grab my LP rod and check the thread pitch with my tap and die set.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 20, 20 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

Call LP at 509 637 3836 to get the thread size. You'll want a couple of nuts as well to tighten on to one end of the rod. Hopefully grease was used to assemble the foil or it may not come apart.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 21, 20 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Also, make very sure, and double check that ALL hardware is removed from the foil before you use the threaded rod to remove the wing. The mast to fuse bolt will just make it impossible to thread in the rod. If you leave the wing to fuse screws in and then use the threaded rod you will damage the wing. It should come apart pretty easily. If it's stuck, you can try greasing the threads on your rod, just down near where the rod goes through the captive internal nut in the fuse. That will reduce friction there and at least help prevent you from damaging the fuse.

If it comes apart fine, remember to always grease the wing to fuse and the fuse to mast joints before assembling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: