Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

633/GW 91 Front Foot Pressure
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostSat Aug 17, 19 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

+1 for the Stringy fuselage, riding the 633 setup on the LF Galaxy 4-2 with the mast 2 notches forward from the very back..... Plus it looks cool if you get it in blue Smile

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 18, 19 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Embrace the forward foot pressure!
After a few sessions (~5) it will seem normal.
Your front leg will get stronger.
You'll be motivated to learn to switch feet in the air (take a lesson from Fred).

I've come to the epiphany that front foot pressure is a wonderful thing. It's made me a better rider. Having to constantly lean on your front foot is like leaning against the wall - it gives you something to balance against. It improved my balance and riding experience 100% when I first switched to the 633.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 19, 19 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Was waiting and hoping someone would say this.
Front foot pressure gives you the ability to pump, slash, pivot, and play more aggressively with your foiling maneuvers.

And, if you are not a fan of front foot pressure, simply shim your stabilizer wing so that it lifts from the rear more and reduces the front wing lift. Some people find a couple layers of tape makes a difference and some will go so far as to use a rubber washer as a shim.

The windsurfers use shims religiously to trim or stabilize the ride of there foils.
Kiters have always as well, except here in Hood River many people have many opinions and track placements and fuselages always seem to be an easy blame, while riding skills and foil trim are easily overlooked.

*I ride a stock Moses Onda 91 with 633/483 on an Airush Foil Skate 121.
Have begun to play with the 790 wing for pumping and carving fun.

ldhr wrote:
Embrace the forward foot pressure!
After a few sessions (~5) it will seem normal.
Your front leg will get stronger.
You'll be motivated to learn to switch feet in the air (take a lesson from Fred).

I've come to the epiphany that front foot pressure is a wonderful thing. It's made me a better rider. Having to constantly lean on your front foot is like leaning against the wall - it gives you something to balance against. It improved my balance and riding experience 100% when I first switched to the 633.

www.Purestokesports.com

chirojoseph

Since 27 Sep 2019
5 Posts

Kook

PostSat Aug 15, 20 4:42 pm    Reviving the front foot pressure and stringyfuse thread Reply with quote

Hey group so I've based many of my decisions on this thread and for the most part very happy. Been winging with Moses 1100 and 790 using the super fuse and now trying to kite foil a bit with the 790 and a LFGalaxy 4ft2.

Of course moved the wingset as far back as possible on the "alternate" stringfellow fuse.. But still have to hang my toes off the front of the board and back foot in the MIDDLE of the board to keep the 790 from breaching.. And not even going fast. And yes I'm familiar with kiting on 1500cm2 wings... But never had si much trouble keeping the nose down.

So 3 (+) questions

1) tried shimming back screw on stab 2 mm and didn't find much change in front foot pressure... Since i have the 10cm extra of fuse length adjustment on this superfuse... Can moving the entire stab farther back or forward change the front foot pressure at all?

2) from what i gather from all things read and videos... Does it mande any sense to actually shim the MASTBASE with the Foilmount shim system of plastic plates? I understand from Mr String that shimming the fuse/mast connection is BAD idea... But how about under the mastbase?

3) lastly the topic of drilling extra 2 holes in my carbon Mastbase.. Not something I really want to do but... Seems i would get 3cm more of aft positioning if i drill exactly the distance that the plate has originally between the 2 "front hole" options.

Will those 3 cm make MORE DIFFERENCE than the stab shimming and /or baseplate shimming? From what I've read nobody is really using stabs smaller than the 450 with the surf wings but... Wouldn't THAT result in less lift as well? Any stabs you'd recommend?

Any advice on particular about drilling the carbon mastbase? Normal drill bits, normal bit revolutions, obviously using a drill press if I can get access to one for vertical accuracy but... Anyone done it?

Thanx to all for any insight... This group has been invaluable for me this summer.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 15, 20 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

You're riding a board that was designed for older style foils (smaller, less lift).
Mast track is in the wrong position for high-lift surf foils.
Get a custom board or a newer Dwarfcraft and BAM! problem solved.

I won't tell you what to do - but here's what my wife and I have done.
Shimmed the mast-fuselage connection - Helped a bit (front foot pressure reduced 25%).
Drilled extra holes in the mast base - really helped and no signs of wear (helped another 35%). Normal drill, normal drill bit, normal speed - it's not rocket science.

Shimmed the rear stabilizer wing - (helped another 25%).Shim the front of the wing to be higher. Sailworks in Hood River has the negative .5 shim for your rear stabilizer.
BTW - for winging with the 790 - I shim the rear stabilizer for more lift and it seems to help.

Building my own kite boards with mast track 1.5 inches from rear end - BAM! problem solved.

KenB

Since 10 Sep 2019
17 Posts

PostMon Aug 17, 20 10:33 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Building my own kite boards with mast track 1.5 inches from rear end - BAM! problem solved.

I would like to know more about this option.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 19, 20 6:22 am     Reply with quote

hey chirojoseph,
first off thanks for purchasing the superfuse. it's a great fuselage that allows more versatility with your foiling gear
surprised shimming the back wing didn't help much but to be honest the 790 is a big wing with alot of lift. I have that wing, but mainly use it for wingfoiling. I've only used it once it very light winds in baja.
as for the mast to fuselage connection keep that as it is designed. nothing good can come from this. if the plug is not mated to the pocket, there's a higher likely hood you will start to pull the stainless steel insert out if you over tighten it. You could shim under the baseplate, hoever this will not change how the foil is behaving, merely changing the angle of your board, not sure if this will really help much.
drilling holes in baseplate, yes this will help. I've done this to my masts as I have a custom board and have it setup for 140mm holes spacing. if you drill a set of holes it will allow more aft positioning so this is a good idea. It doesn't weaken your mast.
if you need help or are uncomfortable drilling, come to the couve and I will drill it out for you.

snowmeltriver

Since 21 May 2006
102 Posts
Little Kentucky
Stoked

PostWed Aug 19, 20 10:11 am     Reply with quote

I'm not on the 633 but use a similar sized high-lift surf wing. I tried one steel washer (1mm thick) on the rear stabilizer to raise the FRONT edge and it was so much better. I'm going to try two today and see if it keeps getting better or if one is enough. Once I figure out what I like, I'll make/buy a proper shim. Love the ways to tweak and personalize the ride!

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostSun Oct 11, 20 8:45 am    Front foot pressure on the Moses 633 Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the 2021 Slingshot Dwarfcraft 120 , is the mast track far enough back for the Moses 633 ?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

To bad

Since 01 May 2017
24 Posts

PostMon Oct 19, 20 6:12 am    425 Reply with quote

Also try a smaller stabilizer? I just tried the 425 from 450 and it really is a nice ride on 683

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 19, 20 8:04 am    Re: Front foot pressure on the Moses 633 Reply with quote

phill wrote:
Has anyone tried the 2021 Slingshot Dwarfcraft 120 , is the mast track far enough back for the Moses 633 ?
I have the 120. I haven't ridden it yet, but looking at the measurements it should be fine with the 633. Even then, I prefer the Stringy fuses for a couple of reasons. It's 1/4 pound lighter, and the wing & stab mounting holes are through the fuselage. That prevents you from bottoming out the screw if you accidentally--or purposely in a jam--bottoming out the screw.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: