Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2020 SS Tyrant + construction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rightcoast

Since 27 Mar 2019
33 Posts
ELI

PostMon Oct 12, 20 11:18 am    2020 SS Tyrant + construction Reply with quote

I have used ,enjoyed,beaten and broken a few SS boards ,mostly Tyrants . Loved the boards as they have held up V well with jumping ,not always a perfect landing. I am now on a 2019 . A friend got a 2020 with the new construction and had heel dents /delam in a month and with no jumping. Anyone else have any issues ? maybe a off board ? Had thought to get one as price drops ,but uncertain now . Thx

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 12, 20 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

I've been jumping the crap out of a `19 Mixer with straps and had a few folks ask me, "Haven't you broken it yet?"

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 13, 20 9:42 am    Board Construction Reply with quote

There's been a trend in the market the last couple years that lighter is better for everything kite related - kites, bars, boards, foils, wetsuits, etc....For surfboards, lighter usually means more performance and jumping ability at the expense of durability. In fact, a lot of manufacturers are now offering a performance and standard line of boards. Pre 2019, a lot of manufacturers offered boards that damn near wouldn't break or delam. They had a bamboo or durable epoxy sandwich type construction (see Jimmy Lewis boards). Unfortunately, the new epoxy type constructions are either built for skinny people or just not built to last/withstand extensive jumping. You can damn near dent the new epoxy boards with your thumb if you press hard enough. If you really like the Tyrant, your best bet is finding a used pre 2019 model. Otherwise, you could find a similar shaped board with similar construction - I know cabrinha, SS, Jimmy Lewis, f-one, Air Rush, north, duotone made durable boards if you find the right year.

Rightcoast

Since 27 Mar 2019
33 Posts
ELI

PostWed Oct 14, 20 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

Thx. for replies. I've got a V lite custom for strapless and a repaired old Tyrant which is just strapless now . Might get another 2019 for jumping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: