Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil Hardware, Teflon Tape, Saltwater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostTue Sep 22, 20 8:17 am    Foil Hardware, Teflon Tape, Saltwater Reply with quote

This winter will be my first foiling in seawater. I have the Slingshot Space Skate setup, aluminum masts and fuselage.

The recommendation from SS is to first coat the fasteners with Prolan then teflon tape. What is the purpose of the tape? I have also gotten a recommendation from a kite shop to use the tape first then the Prolan. I've found that cleaning the tape from the fasteners is a pain. I'd rather just use the Prolan. Comments?

I've gotten a recommendation to pull the hardware weekly when using in seawater. Clean the fasteners, apply Prolan and re-install. Will this be good enough?

I've been told the the titanium fasteners used by SS are soft and there have been some problems with them all of a sudden breaking and people have lost their wing. The recommendation to me is to replace the Ti with Stainless Steel. What do you think?

If you've got any other advice, I would appreciate it.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 22, 20 9:13 am     Reply with quote

I foil salt and fresh water. I very light dab of Lithium grease is all I've ever needed. Once years ago I neglected everything on an Alum LF mast and it froze solid. Don't do that. Disassemble frequently

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 22, 20 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

I went with stainless hardware from Ace and petroleum jelly because I had it handy. Will likely pick up some Lanacote sometime though. Got lots of good feedback here:
http://nwkite.com/forums/t-49065.html&sid=f68ad725d5a8ac883a0eb4047af3f55f

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostTue Sep 22, 20 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
I went with stainless hardware from Ace and petroleum jelly because I had it handy. Will likely pick up some Lanacote sometime though. Got lots of good feedback here:
http://nwkite.com/forums/t-49065.html&sid=f68ad725d5a8ac883a0eb4047af3f55f

I read your thread. It prompted me to write. I especially wanted to hear about the Teflon Tape.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Sep 22, 20 1:15 pm    Lanocote Reply with quote

Anything will work. We use Lanocote on all our persona, student and rental foils in Baja. Never had a seize. If the foil is going to sit for a few days without use, we back the screws off a half-turn too.

www.freeridekiting.com

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostTue Sep 22, 20 3:00 pm    Re: Lanocote Reply with quote

Freeride Kiting wrote:
Anything will work. We use Lanocote on all our persona, student and rental foils in Baja. Never had a seize. If the foil is going to sit for a few days without use, we back the screws off a half-turn too.

OK! This is one of the things that I was after. I'll be in El Sargento for the winter. Is there a schedule (as in system) that you follow (assuming that everything was put together with the Lanocote and no teflon tape)? i.e. Rinse with fresh water after every use, once a week, remove all fasteners, clean with CLR, re-coat with Lanocote, re-install. Etc. BTW - which school are you with? Thx!

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 22, 20 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

I'd skip the teflon tape. Like you said, its a mess every time you take it apart.

Just be sure threads are clean. The aluminum masts are very soft metal and its easy to strip the threads.

On the other hand, the aluminum cuts nicely on any carbide tipped miter saw. If you have to shorten a mast.... fairly easy to cut new threads with the right tap.

Then, any marine grease and periodic maintenance.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 22, 20 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

These articles are good reading concerning Tef-gel vs Lanacote. Both are great.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/systems-propulsion/tef-gel-vs-lanocote

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/anti-seize-coatings-for-spars

Last edited by Nak on Tue Sep 22, 20 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thatspec

Since 17 Mar 2008
115 Posts
Ptucky
Stoked

PostTue Sep 22, 20 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

Split this with three friends, lifetime supply for all, less is more for this stuff;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tef-Gel-The-Corrosion-Eliminator-2-oz-Tub/224098881971?hash=item342d5591b3:g:hvYAAOSwDrVbGIKf

Left my aluminum parts together all last winter, rarely rinsed. Came right apart when it was time to pack.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 23, 20 11:48 am     Reply with quote

watercamper,
I winter 5 months every year in Mexico and only take things apart every month or so. As long as your threads have some coating you should be Ok.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 23, 20 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

Nobody pimping the cheaper Loctite anti-seize that fared well in the previously linked review?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-LOCTITE-1999556-LB-8023-MARINE-GRADE-ANTI-SEIZE-7-oz-BRUSH-TOP-TUBE/153859311159

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: