Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: gorge bike wheel (re)build?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 18, 20 5:21 pm    OT: gorge bike wheel (re)build? Reply with quote

I thought I'd uncover nuggets via search, but no such like. I have a 27.5" MTB wheel and it's the wrong hub standard for the bike I now want to use it on. It is a 32-spoke wheel on a Shimano Deore 15x100 through-axle hub. Sadly Shimano doesn't allow conversions like the DT Swiss hubs I'm used to, but I called them to learn the flange diameter of a 20x110 Zee hub would shorten the spokes by about a millimeter in a theoretical hub swap.

My last (road) wheel was built by Nathan at HRB but he's no longer there. I've also had wheels built at Sugar in Portland but they don't like me using my own components. I'll probably swing it by Dirty Fingers for a quote, but to be honest I haven't felt they have the best customer service in town... just sayin.

Anyone recommend someone they'd trust rebuilding a front wheel on a new hub?

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 18, 20 6:51 pm    Dirty Fingers Reply with quote

Mitchell & Crew at Dirty Fingers are professional and reasonable 👍🏽

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

StevieNix

Since 19 Sep 2015
20 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 18, 20 8:06 pm    Hob Reply with quote

Use a conversion kit if it has the 6 bolt rotor mount and you are going to boost.

https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/booster_-_k5143

If you have center lock you are right you'll have to rebuild, or if you need a 20mm axle. Beargrass bicycles in the heights would be my recommendation, Joe does an awesome job.

brass

Since 15 Jul 2006
152 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 19, 20 5:50 am     Reply with quote

Beargrass Bicycles in the Heights. Joe is chill and will offer a much better customer service experience than you have previously experienced.

In fact I had him build a wheel and it's rock solid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: