Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

foil - 2020 first year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostSun Mar 15, 20 3:21 pm    foil - 2020 first year Reply with quote

Gotta 2000 (sand)bar kiting number (lawyer joke.) I've gotta 11 year old longhaired charger who will be kiting a shit ton this year, and my KBD (kite bitch dad) status is gonna change as he's hitting the slider, got his backroll, and a reasonably competent grom, who's also a super nice kid. That said, back to me - I'm gonna need something new to do on the water and will be a foiling first year gaper this year. What Slingshot board, fuselage, wing, etc. do you-peoples on the forum recommend? I'm especially interested in respected old timers, like Eric, or anyone who knows my overall middle-of-the-road talent and 51 year old kiting mojo. Thank you.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 15, 20 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

How much do you weigh? How fast are you wanting to go? (Hint: no very fast!)

At 205 lb, I learned on the original LF foil, (about 900 cm2) but it could have been so much easier with a larger wing. Going to the 1250 cm2 impulse wing was night and day. I could go slower and stay stable, where the smaller wing would stall at low speed, and stall even quicker when banking a turn.

Some skinny guys find the big wings to be a battle. Too much lift. So weight matters.

Taking an on the water, jet ski supported lesson from Joe the Kiter was a huge bang for the buck.

And starting with a 12” mast on a foil fish board, fat, wide surfboard also made a huge difference. Breaching the wing wasn’t the end of the ride, being able to get up on the board and get settled before lifting onto the wing. A few sessions like this and then the 2’ mast for more height.

Big board, short mast, and not too much kite power are key. Remember it’s harder to go downwind at first. With west winds and river current, it’s easy to end up way up wind.

I’m not that familiar with the slingshot line, but they have larger wings, the flight school graduated mast lengths and several large floaty boards.

Good news is used foils are getting cheap!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 15, 20 7:19 pm     Reply with quote

I really liked learning on the Slingshot graduated mast system. Follow their Foil Academy lessons that are free online. Watch the video and practice the skill. Rinse and repeat. You will learn drama free and be on a full length mast in about 20 sessions.

Alien Air: good deals used too
Hover Glide V4 new or similar used from last year or two
Set of the graduated length Foil Academy masts. Should be lots out there used

If you get addicted, you will, then make the move to carbon if you want light. Plenty of folks ride aluminum who rip, so not required.

Clearly I’m SS centric. But, Liquid Force has nice foil stuff for sure as well. It all works. The advice above about big wings and short masts is spot on, regardless of manufacturer.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 16, 20 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

same as Watercamper:

cloud 9 has the s24 (Impulse) and 27" mast for $499. You can find the Impulse and 36" mast for $6-700 new online. My favorite beginner/intermediate board is the Slingshot WF2 for around $400 on sale. It has a full EVA wrap and is 19L which is way better for waterstarts than a high volume but still paddles in if you're swimming.

The Impulse/s24 setup is nice and blunt for learning on and safety but big enough to get on waves and pump. The closest Slingshot is the heavy aluminum Hoverglide Apollo and the sharp carbon 633. They are coming out with a whole new line soon though too

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Mar 17, 20 10:13 am    Re: foil - 2020 first year Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
. . . I'm gonna need something new to do on the water and will be a foiling first year gaper this year. . .

Nice! Don't forget to wear denim cutoff shorts for board shorts in order to maintain to authentic gaper look.
Laughing

Great questions and post. Here's to a steep learning curve.

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue Mar 17, 20 11:10 am    Re: foil - 2020 first year Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
TravisBickleRex wrote:
. . . I'm gonna need something new to do on the water and will be a foiling first year gaper this year. . .

Nice! Don't forget to wear denim cutoff shorts for board shorts in order to maintain to authentic gaper look.
Laughing

Great questions and post. Here's to a steep learning curve.

Oh, God Damned right... Training goes hand-in-hand too with the right cutoffs; gotta get dirty and be ready to eat-a-lotta-shit to get-good-and-stuff... Stance too, I've read gets you a long ways foiling. I'm gonna bring this critical stance to the kite world.

dirt_training_438.jpg 
   paddling_with_others_114.jpg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 17, 20 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

TBR, you are a salve for the Corona Soul!

Keep 'em comin'

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 25, 20 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

Holy crap Jim, I gotta bump this!

Last I saw you were playing kite bitch to yer grom, so hopefully you've been getting time on the water... just picked up a Converter and about to order a Cabrinha closeout and bolt on a foil myself.

Don't be a stranger - you got my number.

-P

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 25, 20 6:53 pm    Slingshot Demo Foil Reply with quote

I have an alien air / hover glide & a couple wings for you to try . Let me know when you can grab them

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: