Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ACCIDENT AT MANZANITA SUNDAY 8/23?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lekaks

Since 02 Apr 2008
151 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostMon Aug 24, 20 5:20 am    ACCIDENT AT MANZANITA SUNDAY 8/23? Reply with quote

I was kiting Manzanita Sunday 8/24 and I saw emergency vehicles on the beach and jet skies in the water to the South. Does anyone know what happened? Thanks.

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostMon Aug 24, 20 7:52 am     Reply with quote

We had a group south just near the camp ground, didnt see anything. We left at 6. Hope all is well. Epic winds yesterday

lekaks

Since 02 Apr 2008
151 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostMon Aug 24, 20 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Emergency vehicles were on the beach and jet skies were in the water around 4:00 PM closer to town. We were North closer to Neahkahnie. Surprised you didn't see or hear anything. But thx for the reply.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 24, 20 8:51 am    Manzo Rescue Reply with quote

https://www.koin.com/local/oregon-coast/coast-guard-rescues-surfer-near-manzanita/

Sounds like COLD surfer got home safe.

Shakin' not stirred...

Mc

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 24, 20 9:10 am    Dates don’t match? Reply with quote

Surfer rescued Saturday?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 24, 20 9:33 am    Ooops! Reply with quote

Guess I was wrong...good catch AC

Who knew that was so much rescuing going on'

Sheesh?!?

Mc

Here's hoping for a low-key outcome...

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 24, 20 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

I don’t surf on the coast, but when I saw the video last night with the rescued surfer without a wetsuit, I said to myself, .” Who surfs on the Oregon cost in just a swim suit”? How common is that?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 24, 20 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

No real surfer would have been out there with no wetsuit and that unprepared. It can happen to the best but no wetsuit screams I don’t respect the water and the area I am visiting. Anyone who spends time on the Oregon coast knows it’s colder water in the summer than most times in the winter due to the currents. Oregon coast has some of the most epic surf and its not to be toyed with.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
259 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 25, 20 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

Huh! I was there from 1:30 till sunset and didn't see a thing. Guess I was concentrating on the killer waves. I did see something very large eat something a little less large about 50 yards in front of me! Fin popped up and then, I can't be sure what it was but it did just look sea lion after it breached. I don't know if it was it's flipper that he/she stuck out of the water or what? But it looked like a really big dorsal fin at first. Nearly filled my wetsuit!
The water was really warm that day but not warm enough to be surfing without a wetsuit!

talon

Since 26 Oct 2006
8 Posts
HR
Kook

PostFri Aug 28, 20 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

I was kiting manzanita 3-5pm on Sunday. About 100yds out, right in front of the blue house, just past the break, I saw a dead shark. Did anyone else see this? I took a few passes to confirm what I saw. I wonder if this dead shark is correlated to windpigs post?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: