Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SoCal kiting (yay or nay)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Aug 10, 20 8:42 am    SoCal kiting (yay or nay)? Reply with quote

Anyone on here have experience kiting in the LA/Long Beach area? My wife has a chance to work on a project down there for a couple of years but the kiting is a huge consideration for both of us. I did a bit of research and it seems like the main kite spot is at Belmont Beach and the wind is a bit lighter than the gorge - not sure about consistency/reliability, though. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 10, 20 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Belmont shores is a fun spot. There are a lot of rays and you have to shuffle your feet so they don't barb you as you are walking out. It's kind of sheltered from the waves but there are other wave spots that are more advanced and shared with the prone surfers. I think the wind there is better in the summer. There's a pretty solid kite community there as well and I've run into them when they are on organized trips in Baja etc.

The main school/organization there is https://socalkitesurfing.com/. The guy that runs it is Bart. He is a nice guy and good resource.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Aug 10, 20 9:55 am    Resident here Reply with quote

I live in SoCal and kite here regularly. I am not sure what you are interested in, but Belmont is the "flatwater" spot, there are many places to kite waves up and down the coast. Wind is typically in the 16-18mph range most days in Belmont, and South to Seal, Sunset Beach, and Huntington Beach.

The wind season is typically late March to early October. It doesn't blow everyday, but there is typically enough to get wind at least a few days a week. Spring is usually windiest, but each year the wind is a bit different. Some years are better than others. This spring we got a lot of 20mph plus days.

To the North it tends to be windier. Places like Zuma, Leo Carillo and County Line are some of the main spots. Again, all ocean riding with waves. The wind in these areas is typically stronger than down in the Long Beach area, but traffic getting up there can be a bitch.

Outside of the season, we rely on storms coming through to get wind. Often times to get wind in the winter, you end up kiting in the rain, in really gusty conditions, etc. There can be weeks or even months in the winter with no rideable wind.

Hope this is what you were looking for. Feel free to ask more questions or DM me for more info.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 10, 20 11:12 pm     Reply with quote

I had a chance to hit Belmont on a drive down to Baja. What I saw was impressive enough. There seems to be a dedicated close knit community that congregates on the location. So I would not give up on kiting just because of a move to SoCal.

And this was before the foil era so who knows how much more opens up with that.

A.K.

Last edited by A.K. on Wed Aug 12, 20 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Aug 11, 20 7:59 am     Reply with quote

A.K. wrote:
I had a chance to hit Belmont on a drive down to Baja. What I saw was impressive enough. There seems to be a dedicated close knit community that congregates on the location. So I wouldn't give up on kiting just because of a move to SoCal.

And this was before the foil era so who knows how much more opens up with that.

A.K.

I fixed your typo. Wink

There are many foilers at Belmont now, maybe half of all kiters in the water.

There is one guy I see where I kite near Sunset that rides a 7M most days. 2012 Rebel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: