Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Far East Wind this weekend 8/8 and 8/9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostThu Aug 06, 20 11:32 am    Far East Wind this weekend 8/8 and 8/9 Reply with quote

Pro forecast on iKitesurf didn't mention anything about the far east gorge (rufus, arlington, 3 mile) this weekend. Does anyone have an idea if this will go or not?

Thanks

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 06, 20 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

Saturday mid teens, sunday light.
You can click on any of the sites, click on model tables, click on the date you're interested.

thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostThu Aug 06, 20 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks,

but one thing I noticed was pro forecast for the ES says mid 20's on Saturday, but the forecast area you mentioned only shows teens...

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 06, 20 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

I'm with too light for the drive:
https://www.windy.com/45.717/-120.201?2020-08-09-18,45.762,-120.418,9,i:pressure

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 06, 20 5:50 pm    Wind ! Reply with quote

It’s has been windy for almost 40 days , bring your bikes & SUPS and plan for alternative adventures and surely you will have kiteable winds ! 🤙🏾

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

gtm

Since 04 Jul 2005
35 Posts

PostThu Aug 06, 20 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

Another good forecast option is the University of Washington's version of the WRF model. This view shows gorge winds at fairly high spatial resolution (4km):
https://a.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?wrfd3_ti_cg_wssfc+///3

Main page is here:
https://a.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/

This model shows best wind in the corridor and near east on Saturday afternoon. Light on Sunday.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 06, 20 8:26 pm    Re: Far East Wind this weekend 8/8 and 8/9 Reply with quote

thurmondmb wrote:
Pro forecast on iKitesurf didn't mention anything about the far east gorge (rufus, arlington, 3 mile) this weekend. Does anyone have an idea if this will go or not?

Thanks

Two days out is where the WRF model really shines. Usually more accurate than the GFS. Ikitesurf provides easy access to these models (although the link above also provides access for free, just more difficult to access and decipher). Check the HRRR model before you go out as it is usually more accurate on a short term basis.

East should be kiteable on Saturday. Looks like strongest wind around dougs, but Rufus and Arlington should both work.

Arlington forecast this weekend.png 
   Rufus forecast this weekend.png 
   Dougs forecast this weekend.png 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 06, 20 8:52 pm    Arlington today Reply with quote

I hesitate to do this...

But I see a lot of comments regarding low wind speeds for Saturday.

Saturday will blow. Not like today, but it will be plenty windy.

You've got to learn how to read the forecasts. Actuals are usually higher than the forecasted numbers.

See graph of actuals today vs forecasted WRF numbers above.

Additionally, I will remind that Arlington is an advanced launch. You need to walk through a rock channel to access the water. Intermediate kiters should NOT attempt this launch.

If you question your skills this launch is not for you.

Arlington actuals today.png 

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 07, 20 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

thurmondmb wrote:
Thanks,

but one thing I noticed was pro forecast for the ES says mid 20's on Saturday, but the forecast area you mentioned only shows teens...

Actual winds are usually 20-30% higher than the forecast models.
Forecast models are for the shoreline and surrounding topography - winds on the river are usually higher plus the river current adds a couple MPH to the wind in your kite.
Forecast model says 18 gusting to 22, expect 22 to be your average.... maybe more.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 07, 20 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
thurmondmb wrote:
Thanks,

Actual winds are usually 20-30% higher than the forecast models.
Forecast models are for the shoreline and surrounding topography - winds on the river are usually higher plus the river current adds a couple MPH to the wind in your kite.
Forecast model says 18 gusting to 22, expect 22 to be your average.... maybe more.

I would add to this.

For me, I only look at Gusts, not averages. I want to know how big of a kite I can hold down. So, if it gusted for 5 minutes of a 3 hour session at 40mph then it was a 40mph session in my mind despite the fact there may have been lulls below 15mph and moments when it was only gusting to 25mph. However, when that 40mph gust hit I wanted to know I had the ability to hold my kite down.

Forecasts are kind of the reverse of this thought process. They are based upon averages. The longer the time span the lower the average. If you look at a forecast with 3 hour time span increments what the forecast is really telling you is that on average for that entire 3 hour span the forecast is predicting an average speed (not peak speed). This applies whether you are looking at averages or gusts.

So, taking my example above while I considered my 3 hour session to be a 40mph session. A forecast might say it was a 35 mph (gusts) and 25 mph (averages) session.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 08, 20 9:09 am    HRRR forecasts Reply with quote

So Saturday's HRRR forecasts are now available. These get updated hourly so check again before you go out.

Arlington HRRR Forecast
 Arlington HRRR Forecast  Arlington HRRR.png 
Rufus HRRR Forecast
 Rufus HRRR Forecast  Rufus HRRR.png 

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 09, 20 1:35 am     Reply with quote

3 mile blew nicely today. I started at about 2:30 on a 5m and foil, barely making it work. At 3pm on the dot it ramped up and I was well powered for the next hour.

Took a break and went back out on an 8m and TT and was completely lit. Really epic day with some nice swell that built on the outside.

thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostSun Aug 09, 20 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! Appreciate the detailed responses on reading the models Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: