Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More boulders and gate going in at Lyle today
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostThu Jul 30, 20 9:01 am    Railroad security upgrade timing in WA and OR Reply with quote

This is a serious bummer especially for the Lyle resident kiters, some of whom chose to live in Lyle for that access, conditions, and spit! Now that Doug's is more kite-friendly, I expect more to go there, even though it is an inferior location due to the short reach, often-brutal starboard chop, and tiny shallow area for novices. Kites crowding Doug's minute swell zone will not be enjoyed by many. A lot of kiters will default to (shudder)...the Event Site. Double-bummer!

Yesterday, I noticed the big fence gate just east of the Mosier water treatment facility is now locked with a padlock AND a spike in the ground (which says in a squeaky cartoon voice "you are seriously busted if you disable both security measures"). Coincidence? They are two different companies operating in WA and OR. It was accessible for YEARS without the lock, with only a trespass sign hanging on it. Both access spots are quick and easy access to a getaway road, which makes it easy for sabotage. It's possible the railroad is tightening security in this area of its own volition OR maybe it has been told to do it by Fearless Leader. I wonder if there are other railroad locations in the WA and OR area that have undergone security upgrades recently.

You can complain about taxes, public, blah blah blah, but the reality is the railroads are 800# gorillas (sorry to be "gorilla-ist"; I lack a better metaphor; they are really mostly gentle creatures...and vegetarians to boot! Chimpanzees, although less-massive, are far more violent. As are humans.) which are deemed essential commercial and state/military infrastructure, vital to the nation. They will ultimately do what they want, and you cannot do much about it, especially during difficult times like this.

The loss of the Lyle sandbar access is huge, especially for Lyle residents, who I am certain largely respected the railroad for many many years by crossing the tracks safely and expeditiously.

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostFri Jul 31, 20 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Lyle is on again judging by the large number of kiters there today.....

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostFri Jul 31, 20 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Popcorn

aaronr

Since 08 Aug 2019
7 Posts

Kook

PostSun Aug 02, 20 7:49 am    the Lyle Crew Reply with quote

Doug from White Salmon, and Bert from Portland, both Lyle regulars, please PM me.

I've been hoping to catch up with you.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostMon Aug 03, 20 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

As a Lyle resident since 2009, the amount of times I've actually kited there (here) in the last 5 years can be counted on both hands.

Just not worth it. Cheaper to fly to Hawaii and kite on Lanai.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 03, 20 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

New gate and fence

1C084DA5-46C5-4CE3-9E59-E245A533B68E.jpeg 

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 03, 20 8:56 pm     Reply with quote

New gate

C07EE227-6260-408B-AC1C-CA96E27E8B6C.jpeg 

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 04, 20 6:01 am    Event site Reply with quote

We need one of those at the event site Very Happy

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Aug 04, 20 11:47 am     Reply with quote

new gate and fence, with a dozen people kiting in the background! Smile

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 04, 20 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

Why do we act like signs work? The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. Who is the idiot now....

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 20 6:13 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Aug 17, 20 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 20 4:04 pm     Reply with quote

True dat Kip! Was listening to the director of a summer camp who opened and got 2/3 of their staff and campers infected by COVID as a result. He was explaining how thankful many of the parents were that they opened since the kids "needed something to do this summer." Rationalization, I'm convinced, is how we humans slaughtered our way up the food chain...

And signs are a funny thing. I used to be a bicycling advocate, and once did both a drive and bike ride with GoPro through a redesigned intersection working with a county who explained cyclists would be safer now that they put up a sign. It was only after reviewing the video that I finally found the sign, and I was looking for it during the drive and bike. Thought to myself, is it just me and my aging brain, or have we learned to filter out this visual noise and focus only on the immediate threats in front of (or behind) us?

Worked with a police station and city public works department once in California to gather data between a 25 MPH sign, paint on the roadway, and a flashing speed sensor (like Hood River just had up on Oak Street westbound). The paint on the roadway actually resulted in the lowest number of tickets (not a great scientific poll, to be sure). Turns out with the speed sensor there are many folks who speed up to see how fast they can make it read! Oh to be young again (yeah, I woulda done that, back in the day...).

But yeah, signs seem to be invisible to modern humans, but they work just fine if litigation is ever involved.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 05, 20 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

Signs are overused. Now it’s as shred the Gorge said, litigation! Go ahead, cross the tracks.... go ahead and sun bath within feet of the sign saying not to...
if you get mangled by a train, or tomahawked by a kite, no money for you... or wait, that’s not true because lawyers always find loopholes! This is America!

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostWed Aug 05, 20 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
pollywog wrote:
Why do we act like signs work? The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. Who is the idiot now....

There was a time when signs worked. 2020 has confirmed that we're a selfish as*hole culture.

The age of entitlement.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 07, 20 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Brandon Scheid
is at The Lyle Sandbar
tnS13ponslhohgred
· Lyle ·
Gorge Kiteboarders PSA : I spoke with a police officer today at the Lyle sandbar parking lot on Hwy 14. He told me that due to the large number of local and out of town kiteboarders using the illegal railroad crossing access to the spit, they would officially be actively enforcing the criminal trespassing with citations. He was very polite and explained he was there to educate the public of the new enforcement policy and that the access to the spit is a delicate balance between the town, the Fish and Wildlife, and the Tribal leaders. Unfortunately, this balance has been upset with the recent increased popularity of an already illegal spot. Ultimately, crossing the railroad is trespassing and banned, thus access to the spit must now be from the downwind boat launch in Lyle. This means walking/fording the Klickitat River to get to the spit, or using some kind of boat to get access to the sand. I guess the 50+ kiteboarder days finally pushed the hand of the law. I think this pretty much closes the spit to kiteboarding, except for the dumb, bold, or determined.
Pretty sad to loose access to such a great place to kite in the Gorge, even if it has always been illegal. Its popularity was destined to be the final nail in the coffin, especially with the other recent kiteboarding access restrictions and the summer kite tourist boom in The Gorge.
Spread the word!

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 09, 20 1:37 am     Reply with quote

Drove by early afternoon today and plenty of kites out and people walking around the sandbar in jeans who didn’t appear to have waded across anything.

russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostSun Aug 09, 20 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Pardon the ignorance, what exactly was the hype for hype at Lyle, was it just another spot, or the shallow sand bar was the appeal, or the rebel culture of kiting at an illigal spot? Ive only been kiting in the gorge for 3 years out of the 7 ive kited, I come for the swell, love rufus, recently discovered Arlington and 3 mile, the flat water by the spit never really appealed to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: