Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tomo Firewire Evo Delaminated
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 16, 20 9:18 pm    Tomo Firewire Evo Delaminated Reply with quote

I bought a firewire evo kiteboard two months ago for strapless aerials. I ride the board a little rough and had some hard landings on it but nothing that I haven't done with other surfboards that I've owned for years and still ride. The other day after coming down on it in the water, I noticed some pockets of air in the deck pad that I could press down with my foot. The delamination runs from the middle all the way to almost the top, and spans almost rail to rail. I store the board indoors so I know this didn't happen due to heat.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar and if this is a common issue with Firewire kiteboards? Lastly, if anyone has recommendations for a board repair guy in the gorge, it'd be much appreciated.

Here's a link to a video showing the delam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CzIbIntS4s

Last edited by a.benjamin76 on Thu Jul 23, 20 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 17, 20 7:35 am     Reply with quote

PM sent.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 22, 20 4:21 pm    Poor Customer Service Reply with quote

Well, Firewire's customer service was downright awful. No phone numbers to get in contact with anyone, only delayed emails, wouldn't back their product, lied to me on multiple occasions in writing, and tried to up sell me on a new board. No thanks. These are fun boards but they don't last and customer service is a joke. Buy at your own risk.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 22, 20 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

I think you bought a board built for paddle surfing. And a really lightweight fragile one. If you add a kite to the equation and then start jumping in the river - most high performance surf specific boards will break.
They sell kite specific boards with stronger construction.
I think you'd be really happy with Slingshot Sci-Fly. It's a sick board especially for jumping with a kite.
https://www.slingshotsports.com/2020-SCI-FLY

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 22, 20 9:44 pm    Board Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I think you bought a board built for paddle surfing. And a really lightweight fragile one. If you add a kite to the equation and then start jumping in the river - most high performance surf specific boards will break.
They sell kite specific boards with stronger construction.
I think you'd be really happy with Slingshot Sci-Fly. It's a sick board especially for jumping with a kite.
https://www.slingshotsports.com/2020-SCI-FLY

Thank you for the info but i made sure to buy the kite specific version with their FST construction. I've tried the sci fly but it's a bit small for my preference. I'll probably start looking for bamboo construction unless you have other recommendations.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 23, 20 7:20 am    Re: Board Reply with quote

a.benjamin76 wrote:

Thank you for the info but i made sure to buy the kite specific version with their FST construction.

Boo on Firewire!

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 23, 20 7:44 am     Reply with quote

IME Firewires are under built for jumping. Very light, fun, and snappy, but easy to delam or buckle.

Your best bet is to get a custom board built, with a denser foam core and heavier glass layup that will hold up to the abuse. That's what I did. Stretch, North Pacific, and Loyd are 3 good shapers. Big Winds usually has at least one in stock.

Otherwise, I would go with a locally-represented production board like Slingshot, Duotone, Cabrinha, so that you can talk to someone if you have a problem.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 23, 20 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Wyatt Foley making beautiful custom boards. Pete’s son.

Eric

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 23, 20 8:26 am     Reply with quote

Is Doyle still making boards? They were crazy strong and fun.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostThu Jul 23, 20 11:00 am     Reply with quote

I've been riding that board (same build) for a few years and haven't had any issues. My airs are pretty small, but I always land like a bag of rocks. This sounds like a build defect.

dirtybackside

Since 02 Aug 2011
72 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Jul 23, 20 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunately the FST construction isn't the "kiteboard" construction. I've had a couple of the FST which as amazingly light, but are weak for kiting. The "Helium" construction is the kite specific construction that you might want to look into if you are looking for great durability. The downside is its glassed more equaling heavier weight

https://firewiresurfboards.com/products/categories/kiteboards

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 23, 20 7:25 pm    Board Reply with quote

dirtybackside wrote:
Unfortunately the FST construction isn't the "kiteboard" construction. I've had a couple of the FST which as amazingly light, but are weak for kiting. The "Helium" construction is the kite specific construction that you might want to look into if you are looking for great durability. The downside is its glassed more equaling heavier weight

https://firewiresurfboards.com/products/categories/kiteboards

The board says kite on it. So FST, Helium, Bamboo, Aerospace, Unicorn Tears or whatever they're using, the board is a dedicated kiteboard

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
259 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 23, 20 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, gotta agree with the OP on this one. If it says kite on it, it better be ready for some kite action. You shouldn't have to decode the secret message of Firewire speak to know which one is "actually" for kiteboarding. It's not like it's In-N-Out burger.

Can I have a kiteboard "Animal Style"? you know, the one that won't break when I ride it behind a kite?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 23, 20 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

The older kite version was based on FST. The newer kite versions is based on Helium. If it says kite, it is.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 24, 20 9:56 am     Reply with quote

From watching the windsurf industry go through this, I'm willing to bet there is a difference in whether fiberglass is solely used, versus laying up kevlar and/or carbon fiber which adds weight (and cost). The older glass-only windsurf boards were much lighter (theoretically faster), but you didn't want to jump them... hell, you didn't even want them in the sun too long or they'd delam. Mistral for example had "CGI" versions, so you could buy the same board with the "carbon/glass" layup and drive a truck over it at the expense of weight (and price).

dirtybackside

Since 02 Aug 2011
72 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Jul 24, 20 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

Weird. I have this exact same board in FST construction with the bamboo looking rails and mine doesn’t say kite anywhere on it. Post a pic of where it says kite. Now I’m interested

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 24, 20 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
Is Doyle still making boards? They were crazy strong and fun.

Yeah, I still have a Slingy board designed by Doyle from and still riding it.

I don't know if he is still making boards. I thought he started pimping out Sprinter vans for a living?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: