Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site Status July 14
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSun Jul 19, 20 10:12 am     Reply with quote

It is my observation that the large groups of people seen on the ES, boatyard, and sand spit are local families, kids, etc trying to escape the heat and enjoy little RR by the river. I also noticed that most of them park in the old kite parking or on the street and hike to the sandbar. The riverfront is to be enjoyed by all and is not the exclusive domain of water sports. It is unfortunate that so many people (locals, visitors) are not following the current pandemic rules. (mask up people, social distancing, no large groups) We have to self police ourselves. The port is not in the position to have personnel approach and confront any riverside user. I do not expect the port to do so, nor do I expect the police to enforce the pandemic rules. There are no easy solutions to the strange time we are living. I do not go to the ES during weekends. I leave the Riverfront for those who are unable to play durning the week. We live in a area with a wide range of activities to enjoy. Very Happy

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSun Jul 19, 20 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Close the event site lawn completely to kites! Wouldn't it better to deal with carrying pumps and bags across to the sandbar than lose the parking and quickest access to sandbar.
Last edited by pauls on Sun Jul 19, 20 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 19, 20 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Last edited by ldhr on Sun Jul 19, 20 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostSun Jul 19, 20 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

I was Def just being selfish with the locals vs non locals. Everyone should enjoy the ES. It’s going to get shut down regardless

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 19, 20 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Flightmac, if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet against you on this one. Niknas nailed it, no easy solution. Several folks I know are doing the same; we mostly kite on weekdays.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSun Jul 19, 20 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

The ES and especially the lawn seems to be the focus point of overcrowding on the water front. I'm throwing out suggestions to try to address that and 'encourage' people to not hang out in a dense way, disperse them and hopefully keep access. I don't need to be told that i'm lucky to live here.
If the kites are completely removed from the lawn it will reduce kiters reason to be on there and give spectators more room to spread out.
I'd guess a lot of the kiters leaving kites on the lawn all day are not on NWKite so they aren't getting the message about pump up, ride, leave.
If some of the non-kiters move from the lawn to the sandbar wouldn't that be a good thing? Seems like it's all about the density of crowds. Leaving things as they are and hoping peoples behavior changes seems like just waiting for the closed sign to stay up

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 19, 20 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your thoughts/observations Marcus.
It is definitely not on all of the tourists to take the blame, especially PDX'rs who mostly are "quasi local" ES users anyways.
It should definitely be noted that there has been a rather large amount of locals, families and unleashed teens using the Waterfront as a rules sanctuary, where they automatically revert back to normal activities and discontinue any health safety protocols.
Stay patient Marcus, disregard the comments, and please keep setting a positive example. We need it.

Marcus O wrote:

I’ve seen locals hanging around in groups doing post sesh high fives and all that stuff. I’m a non-local from Portland, I wear a mask, I pump, kite and leave as soon as I’m done. I don’t spend anytime hanging around the grass area or on the sandbar socializing. I’m also an annual pass holder and I kite at the Event Site 7-8 months out of the year. I’ve politely confronted groups of people who are blatantly disregarding all the “crowds lead to closures” signs to let them know that the port is considering closing the space due to social clustering. People have gotten defensive and basically tell me to mind my own business. I’ve overheard Hood River locals saying negative things about Portland kiters being there, which is a bit frustrating given my efforts and those of other Portland kiters. I care about the local community in Hood River, probably more than I care about the community in Portland. I just thought I’d throw that out there so you were aware that it’s not just Hood River locals who are making an effort to keep the crowds down and do the right thing.

www.Purestokesports.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 19, 20 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

The White Salmon side isn’t much better. Notice the age group, I feel like they will be the super spreaders in a month!

9E94F808-C4D2-4371-9772-A58B6CEFBCEC.jpeg 

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 19, 20 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts/observations Marcus.
It is definitely not on all of the tourists to take the blame, especially PDX'rs who mostly are "quasi local" ES users anyways.
It should definitely be noted that there has been a rather large amount of locals, families and unleashed teens using the Waterfront as a rules sanctuary, where they automatically revert back to normal activities and discontinue any health safety protocols.
]

So true re: the unleashed teens. I was down SUPing off the dock at Nichols boat basin Thursday late afternoon. It was a zoo with probably 50-75 young teens. The dock was literally packed with people at times and it was hard to even walk on the dock. The lawn was also covered with teens sunbathing sitting very close. As I was leaving I noticed a guy with a Port logo shirt walk over and survey the mayhem. It's no surprise it was shut down the next day. I know it's hard for kids this summer as there isn't much to do, but parents really need to supervise children and enforce distancing as kids will not do it on their own.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostMon Jul 20, 20 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

While masks should have started being required a month ago, never too late. If you aren't wearing a mask in public, you are telling everyone around you that you don't care about them. This includes all locals, 6 month a year locals, PDXers, tourists, yes you too. Science.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: