Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site Status July 14
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 16, 20 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
If everyone who has purchased a pass showed up, would it be full or overflowing?

The 4th weekend was a good indication of the volume. I showed up later in the day when lots of folks already had long sessions and there were only two or three spots open which were filling as people were leaving. Handful of locals I know avoid the ES on weekends and holidays, so write them off, and there was wind out east which lowered the numbers, so I think the answer to your question is yes.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 16, 20 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't been wearing a mask at the ES but after yesterday I'm going to start. After my session and changing I went to deflate my kite and there were a group of about 7 or 8 young men standing around, unmasked, really close. I don't know if they were all kiters but they were talking to another kid who seemed to be. I moved my kite away from them but then they started walking away from him (towards me) and stopped near me to shoot the shit some more. I could smell cologne and that made me uncomfortable (due to the closeness, not just that it's one I'd never wear...).

I thought about saying something but figured it was pointless. Point is, it's easy to see why the Port is struggling.

Lyle today was a different situation, but yeah, somewhat crowded. Lot of kids walking on the train trellis, some jumping off, generally a bunch of young adults hanging around like we're not in a pandemic. At least the beach there is big now, probably the bigger issue will be parking.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 16, 20 8:56 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
I haven't been wearing a mask at the ES but after yesterday I'm going to start.

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

I haven't been kiting ES, but I'm in the same boat. CV-19 Numbers are rising locally. I used to think I could manage the beach contact scene safely. Now realizing I can't.

Masks on the beach are now cool!!! oh and I think required by our governor too.

brass

Since 15 Jul 2006
152 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jul 17, 20 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
All we have to do is do is say that us kiteboarders are having a protest. All restrictions will then be lifted and we can basically have as many people as we want and do whatever we like! We might even be hailed as patriotic!

There is little need for nor productivity from your continued flaming of this issue.

"We the people....."

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 17, 20 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

Nichols Boat Basin was closed today due to overcrowding. Event Site was full and people were turned away.

Meanwhile people at the Event Site were schmoozing around, picnics, napping in their vans, not distancing, not wearing masks.

The Event Site is gonna be shut down unless we can self-police.

People - please, don't hang out at the Event Site - park, kite, and leave.

covid.jpg 

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Jul 17, 20 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

Implement 3 hour parking limit inside the ES parking lot at weekends, after noon or something regardless that we do or don't have annual passes. 3 hours isn't perfect but should be long enough to pump up get out and have a session and leave which is what we're all supposed to be doing this summer.

aaronr

Since 08 Aug 2019
7 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 17, 20 10:46 pm     Reply with quote

lldkr wrote:
If parking at ES is hampered, I predict this is the year things boil over at Lyle

This is happening. The railroad is shutting down Lyle now. They are warning that in two weeks they will begin citing people for trespassing.

Elliott

Since 23 Oct 2018
7 Posts

Kook

PostSat Jul 18, 20 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Well the new rules have only been in place one day and this ding bat in a black suburban with Colorado plates decides he is above it. Port had barricaded the entrance, two of us we’re waiting in our cars for them to reopen and this guy comes flying up, gets out of his car and looks around then moves the “do not enter” sign and gets in his car and drives in.... come on people! We love our tourists but really.... If anyone knows this guy can you let him know Daryl would like a word with him.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 18, 20 8:37 am     Reply with quote

The guy—I think—parked next to me. Daryl approached him and they talked. Not sure what transpired.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 18, 20 9:37 am     Reply with quote

We can do this!

Chicks dig this look.

Anybody want to check out the inside of my van? I’ve got candy, and beer!

Totally safe.

D8C23AF0-F9F5-4E97-BD6B-5D192DD926E4.jpeg 

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostSat Jul 18, 20 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

I think it's a given the ES will be shut down to all activities, including kiting and simple hanging out etc. No matter how many people wear masks are social distance, it's going to get shut down and thats a hard pill to swallow. I only hope we can hold on for at least thru July, and into August but if I'm being real I'd say August ES recreation is in serious jeopardy and there is basically nothing we can do about it.

It's above our pay grade (that may sound conspiratorial but I'm only speaking in terms of the west coast pact and CA, OR, WA Governors working together). The entire west coast will be put into self quarantine again if I'm a betting man (and I am). Now, maybe since HR/WS is a smaller town we can avoid a full shut down (in PDX it will 100% happen) and hopefully locals can continue to recreate at the Event Site if we can demonstrate safety. That's my hope.

I think the parking lot should be only reserved for Pass Holders, that will curb a decent amount of tourists from lolly gagging around. I know we thrive on tourism but obviously we live in unprecedented times and that calls for strict measures. I only hope locals are not completely shut out of ES day use because on thing is clear, us locals are making the most push for safe practices while at the site pumping up and tearing down our gear. To me, it's obvious that locals are being the most cautious and "obedient" when it comes to the mandates. I could be way off, and call me out if so, but from my time at the ES, it's been the case.

Enjoy it while you can, do your part in the safety measures and that may buy us more time. It's a "glass half full" outlook but based on the news headlines and the things coming from local and state agencies, it seems like a given at this point.

Peace and love to you all

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostSat Jul 18, 20 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

flightmac wrote:
I only hope locals are not completely shut out of ES day use because on thing is clear, us locals are making the most push for safe practices while at the site pumping up and tearing down our gear. To me, it's obvious that locals are being the most cautious and "obedient" when it comes to the mandates. I could be way off, and call me out if so, but from my time at the ES, it's been the case.

I’ve seen locals hanging around in groups doing post sesh high fives and all that stuff. I’m a non-local from Portland, I wear a mask, I pump, kite and leave as soon as I’m done. I don’t spend anytime hanging around the grass area or on the sandbar socializing. I’m also an annual pass holder and I kite at the Event Site 7-8 months out of the year. I’ve politely confronted groups of people who are blatantly disregarding all the “crowds lead to closures” signs to let them know that the port is considering closing the space due to social clustering. People have gotten defensive and basically tell me to mind my own business. I’ve overheard Hood River locals saying negative things about Portland kiters being there, which is a bit frustrating given my efforts and those of other Portland kiters. I care about the local community in Hood River, probably more than I care about the community in Portland. I just thought I’d throw that out there so you were aware that it’s not just Hood River locals who are making an effort to keep the crowds down and do the right thing.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 18, 20 8:56 pm     Reply with quote

Damn it! I’ve been on the sidelines due to knee surgery and watching everyday its been windy from where I work. I’ve been totally Zen about it and as patient as I can be... I am planning on my first session next week! Now... I’m pissed! I knew this would happen. Tourists ripping around paying little attention to the guidelines. It’s no surprise but I HAD hoped... well, there are other secret spots and sketchy launches locals can hit. It’s just not why we live here... who wants to drive when you live 10 minutes from the ES.... those Mosier peeps are looking smarter everyday!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 18, 20 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

Tourists? Locals? Portlanders? Pointless finger pointing and useless labeling. There are people doing their best to obey the rules in hopes that we won't lose access, and there are people (of all ages) who are not. What do people hope to achieve thinking they can classify the perpetrators? Convince the Port to check driver licenses?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 18, 20 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

This just in from HRCHD:

This just came in from HRCHD:

https://5ac44646-2cb2-4433-aba3-9e3318bcf882.filesusr.com/ugd/ca2f63_d1e7832e298945ff9ae8c955d37f0612.pdf

So, time for everyone to mask up. On the lawn, on the beach, at your car. I’d suggest if you’re reading this lead by example. If a lot of us wear masks those who don’t will feel uncomfortable and fall in line. Sure, there will be a few who don’t.

Eric

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSun Jul 19, 20 3:21 am     Reply with quote

When things aren’t going well, there is a tendency to lay blame somewhere and the current target seems to be “nonlocals”, whatever that means. It is easy to find examples of nonlocals not following the guidelines but it is unfair to make broad generalizations. If crowding is the problem, is most of the crowd local or nonlocal?

Cynthia Cynbad Brown

Since 15 Jun 2016
14 Posts

PostSun Jul 19, 20 10:02 am    SPF 50 amphibious face mask Reply with quote

Cover your mug at the crowded Event Site, and then take it to the water. Check out the only sun protection face mask that won’t give you that sweet sensation of water boarding when you get dunked. Featured in this Summer Issue of The Kiteboarding Magazine. Designed by a kiter and hand made locally.
www.solshaka.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: