Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More boulders and gate going in at Lyle today
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TommyFliss

Since 30 Jul 2016
36 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Jul 17, 20 11:39 am    More boulders and gate going in at Lyle today Reply with quote

BNSF trucks and welders are here today. The western path is now more effectively blocked. FYI.

Tommy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 17, 20 11:50 am    Re: More boulders and gate going in at Lyle today Reply with quote

TommyFliss wrote:
BNSF trucks and welders are here today. The western path is now more effectively blocked. FYI.

Tommy

Let's see a picture, please!!!

Fight Club just got a bit more rough and rowdy!

Time to buy a wave runner for those who like to kite there.

TommyFliss

Since 30 Jul 2016
36 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Jul 17, 20 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

My phone/the message board is being temperamental. I’ll try to post one later on. It’s basically a grate that is pitched uphill (creating an overhang if you’re facing it).

aaronr

Since 08 Aug 2019
7 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 17, 20 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

I spoke with a BNSF patrolman on Thursday night. He is trying to get the word out they will start ticketing people for trespassing starting in 2 weeks.

Sounds like Lyle is officially being shut down.

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostSat Jul 18, 20 7:07 am     Reply with quote

aaronr wrote:
I spoke with a BNSF patrolman on Thursday night. He is trying to get the word out they will start ticketing people for trespassing starting in 2 weeks.

Sounds like Lyle is officially being shut down.

fake news, they never ticket a lyle, this is posted by locals and schools to scare ppl away, its a magical place....

aaronr

Since 08 Aug 2019
7 Posts

Kook

PostSat Jul 18, 20 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Fake news? Really?

So are you saying I’m lying? I can assure you that this is what the officer conveyed to me, and it is the buzz at Lyle. Do you frequent Lyle?

I certainly hope this isn’t happening.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 18, 20 9:51 am     Reply with quote

A simple ticket and fine might be the best case scenario. If you call $1000 ticket no big deal.

You could find yourself in handcuffs headed to Norcor in your sexy wetsuit or boardshorts. Arranging bail. Needing an attorney. Going to court facing trespassing charges.

Sitting in the drunk tank in a damp wetsuit will make for a great kitemare story.

These guys aren’t messing around, and cops seem to be off their leashes these days.

It’s not like they haven’t put up enough warning signs.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 18, 20 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

These guys aren’t messing around, and cops seem to be off their leashes these days.

Sorry - way off topic....

Not sure what you mean by that comment unless you're talking about the Klickitat sheriff Bob Songer?

I hope you're not talking about the HR Police and HR county sheriff because they're awesome.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 18, 20 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

I was, in fact, thinking of Sheriff Bob’s duly deputized “cougar posse”. Hounds running loose!

Sorry if I offended, I was going for punny.

See, I still can’t help myself Rolling Eyes

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 18, 20 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

I kited Lyle the other day and it wasn't super crowded but at the same time there were kids hanging out on the trellis and jumping off the bridge, some kiters had parked on the south side of the road, and people (not just kiters) were breaching the gate instead of taking the path under the bridge. The parking lot was full and people were starting to park up the road. They are very aware that the situation at the Hood River Event Site will spill over into potential road and track safety issues, but they are also looking at basic liabilities, not just kiters.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 19, 20 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

We had the same issue at the Wunderbar. Lots of kids crossing the tracks to get to the little pocket of beach east of the WS. People crossing the highway and standing on or near the tracks.

Sooner or later, kids going out on the RR bridge and jumping in to the WS. Or jumping from the highway.

Almost everyday, I'd tell people to stay away from the tracks or show them the way under the bridge. Mostly, folks were fine and appreciated the direction. If we talked for more than a few minutes a train would come ripping by and any doubts would be gone.

I'd see BSNF personal monitoring the situation, along with WA Sate Patrol. Weekends, you could count on a fender bender at Underwood Rd, even with the speed limit reduced to 40 mph. Just a ton of distractions for drivers, people pulling in to park, people in bathing suits walking on the highway or tracks. plus heavy summer weekend traffic.

It's not just the kiters, but we are the most visible element.

At least at the Wunderbar we had an established path under the tracks, long used by swimmers, fisherman, and dog walkers.

Things change. If BNSF wants to bring the hammer down, they will.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 19, 20 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, good point, there was a WA state cop leaving as I showed up. Wouldn't be surprised if they have BNSF cops on speed dial... at least that's what I told the goons who were posing for pictures on the trellis shortly before a train came.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 19, 20 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

East Beach at Wonderbar has been PACKED every day.
Compound this with the issues at Mosquito's and it can be pretty clearly understood why the railroad is likely getting ready to take fencing or ticketing to the next level.

REMEMBER:
A ticket by a railroad agent is not just a ticket, but a criminal trespass offense and results in felony conviction on your permanent criminal record.

Singlemalt wrote:
We had the same issue at the Wunderbar. Lots of kids crossing the tracks to get to the little pocket of beach east of the WS. People crossing the highway and standing on or near the tracks.

Sooner or later, kids going out on the RR bridge and jumping in to the WS. Or jumping from the highway.

Almost everyday, I'd tell people to stay away from the tracks or show them the way under the bridge. Mostly, folks were fine and appreciated the direction. If we talked for more than a few minutes a train would come ripping by and any doubts would be gone.

I'd see BSNF personal monitoring the situation, along with WA Sate Patrol. Weekends, you could count on a fender bender at Underwood Rd, even with the speed limit reduced to 40 mph. Just a ton of distractions for drivers, people pulling in to park, people in bathing suits walking on the highway or tracks. plus heavy summer weekend traffic.

It's not just the kiters, but we are the most visible element.

At least at the Wunderbar we had an established path under the tracks, long used by swimmers, fisherman, and dog walkers.

Things change. If BNSF wants to bring the hammer down, they will.

www.Purestokesports.com

MDaleyPete

Since 17 Jun 2015
10 Posts

PostMon Jul 20, 20 7:50 am     Reply with quote

So what's the best current LEGAL way to get to the Lyle sandbar?

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 20, 20 8:31 am    Lyle Reply with quote

By water from the boat launch.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 20, 20 8:33 am     Reply with quote

MDaleyPete wrote:
So what's the best current LEGAL way to get to the Lyle sandbar?

By boat. Crossing train tracks at a location not designated for crossing is punishable by $500 fine (each direction), and as Pepi pointed out (thanks for the reminder) is a criminal offense. The two paths I know of there both require you to cross the train tracks to get to the beach.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 20, 20 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Aug 17, 20 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: