Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site Status July 14
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 14, 20 7:05 pm    Event Site Status July 14 Reply with quote

Announcement from Port of Hood River.

In response to the Governor’s Orders that will go into effect tomorrow, and the large crowds that we experienced on the Waterfront last weekend, the Port needs to take measures to limit vehicles at the Event Site, and thereby the number of people utilizing it. As many of you witnessed last weekend, social distancing was not maintained. There are just too many people in one area. There are signs everywhere, “crowds lead to closures”, but unfortunately the message has been lost.

We do not want to close the Event Site. However, starting Saturday July 18 and continuing for upcoming weekends as needed, the number of parking spots available will be reduced. What does this mean?

Lot #1 (the dirt area behind the Event Site) has been closed until further notice, possibly for the rest of the summer. Overflow parking will no longer be an option.
The South curb of the ES Lot has been coned off, reducing the amount of parking spots available inside the lot.
When the ES lot fills up, the chain will go across the entrance. It will remain up for an hour. Port Staff will monitor the Lot. If after one hour more than 15 spots available, the Lot will reopen. If not, it will remain closed for another hour.

We all need to accept the message that crowds aren’t okay. If steps such as these are not taken, it is possible the Event Site will be forced to close on weekends.

How can you help? Encourage your user groups to do the following:
Explore different locations on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays to reduce the number of park users. The Hook, Marina Beach, Hatchery, Rowena, Dougs, Swell City, Viento, and several locations East of HR are excellent choices.
Let visitors know that there may not be parking available at the ES and that they should plan accordingly so they aren’t bummed out when they get here.
When you are at the Event Site or any beach for that matter, Spread out! This means gear as well.
Try early or late. Mid-day is just too busy.
Support these efforts 😊 We are trying our best to keep the Waterfront open for recreation.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 14, 20 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m gonna start wearing a mask at the ES at all times.
The number of cases in Hood River county has soared up to 109.

Experts (cdc) say if we all wear masks for 6 weeks we can significantly stop the spread.

As a local who kites almost every day I’ll probably avoid weekends from now on....
unless dawn patrol is an option.

Arrive, pump, shred, pack-up, exit stage right.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 14, 20 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

These are all good moves on the Port’s part.

I have a small quibble and a suggestion.

How many rigs, do you guys think, can park along the south edge of the lot? Ten? Fifteen?
What’s the total parking capacity if all the spaces are used correctly? Right size rigs in right spaces?

Reason I ask: the south side parallel parking, that’s the shade, most of the day. And about as far as you can get from everybody else. I’ve noticed any other spaces with even a hint of shade fill up first. I’ll take the last row facing west in the afternoon, up under the trees, if there’s a space. The windsurfers are ok with me.

My idea is we give the kid in the box a clicker counter, he clicks up to a certain number of rigs. Then the chain goes up for an hour. And the plan posted above goes into effect. Less rigs come in, and all the lot can be used at a lower density. So many big rigs, regular size. Same percentage reduction for each class. Or more likely, first come first serve.

Maybe a few friendly reminders to go get wet, have fun, and leave. I know folks are going to get in early and camp out all day.... but maybe..

Or, we could just go back to the 4th of July plan. That was pretty awesome! (Sorry, couldn’t resist throwing that out there!)

My $.02 worth, ymmv!

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 15, 20 6:54 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Or, we could just go back to the 4th of July plan. That was pretty awesome! (Sorry, couldn’t resist throwing that out there!)

If you're suggesting priority for pass holders that pre purchased parking access, that seems only fair/logical as the economic impact of limited parking is greater for those that pre purchased than those that did not.

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostWed Jul 15, 20 8:37 am     Reply with quote

They need to make masks mandatory at the ES and the parking lot, yesterday we were both wearing masks in the parking lot unloading my gear, the guys in the next car (out of town midwest plate), show up and start getting really close to my spouse trying to get their key from the wheel well, no warning, etc - she had to run away fast to get away from them), I understand that elite athletes of any age are immune to covid but there is no respect for others and the port should lock this down....

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostWed Jul 15, 20 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
These are all good moves on the Port’s part.

I have a small quibble and a suggestion.

How many rigs, do you guys think, can park along the south edge of the lot? Ten? Fifteen?
What’s the total parking capacity if all the spaces are used correctly? Right size rigs in right spaces?

Reason I ask: the south side parallel parking, that’s the shade, most of the day. And about as far as you can get from everybody else. I’ve noticed any other spaces with even a hint of shade fill up first. I’ll take the last row facing west in the afternoon, up under the trees, if there’s a space. The windsurfers are ok with me.

My idea is we give the kid in the box a clicker counter, he clicks up to a certain number of rigs. Then the chain goes up for an hour. And the plan posted above goes into effect. Less rigs come in, and all the lot can be used at a lower density. So many big rigs, regular size. Same percentage reduction for each class. Or more likely, first come first serve.

Maybe a few friendly reminders to go get wet, have fun, and leave. I know folks are going to get in early and camp out all day.... but maybe..

My $.02 worth, ymmv!

The big rigs on the south side turn into a camping site with larger congregations, then you get the folks parked outside trying to cut through them as folks are sitting chatting at their tail gates/RVs, it's like going through a maze....

Alex503

Since 17 Sep 2015
47 Posts
The Beach

PostWed Jul 15, 20 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Kooks only! No locals!

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed Jul 15, 20 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

These guys got it figured out. Maybe someone should try doing this at the Event Site Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=270642850889132

trailboss

Since 08 Aug 2006
95 Posts
HR

PostWed Jul 15, 20 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

https://www.hoodrivernews.com/hoodriver/port-to-implement-event-site-parking-limitations-to-discourage-crowding-covid-19-risk/article_4941e760-c6c5-11ea-9f5e-274746da1323.html

lldkr

Since 01 Jun 2012
47 Posts

PostWed Jul 15, 20 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

If parking at ES is hampered, I predict this is the year things boil over at Lyle

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 15, 20 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

I get that there are issues with any plan. The Port is in a jam.

Short version: limit the number of rigs allowed in, but don’t reduce parking choices.

If you are lucky enough to get in, spread out.

Less people in the largest possible area.

I predict people will go with the tried and true “hatchery plan”. Park the big rig early and use it as a base of operations all day.

I’m afraid there might need to be some policing done. Parking is only a part of the issue. It’s the density of the hangout on the lawn, tourists that walk in, picnickers, dog walkers, etc, etc. it’s the beach in the summer.

Thanks to Doug for listening to me whine about the parking plan and passing my ideas along!

We better figure this out, or it’s going to be a long summer. I’ll go first. If it’s not windy, I won’t be there Cool

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Jul 15, 20 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

apctjb wrote:
Quote:

If you're suggesting priority for pass holders that pre purchased parking access, that seems only fair/logical as the economic impact of limited parking is greater for those that pre purchased than those that did not.

Instead of denying access to those who have paid for a season pass, it does seem more fair to limit access for those who are buying day passes.
How about limiting the number of day passes sold on any given day?
Rather than closing the lot to everyone when capacity is reached, it could convert to "passholders only" when the lot is nearing capacity.

Last edited by hilton on Wed Jul 15, 20 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 15, 20 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

All we have to do is do is say that us kiteboarders are having a protest. All restrictions will then be lifted and we can basically have as many people as we want and do whatever we like! We might even be hailed as patriotic!

Mikeb

Since 22 Oct 2006
231 Posts
Troutdale and Hood River Or
Stoked

PostWed Jul 15, 20 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

lol, I agree honda1, then The Port will do whatever we demand.

But really:
With the weather finally getting hot, more people are coming here from out of town and ignoring hanging out in large clusters.
Weekends are a good time to kite early or late or go mountain biking instead.

Make the next few Saturdays pass holders only like they did Saturday the 4th of July. Maybe then people will get the message.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 15, 20 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

I loved the season pass holder only Fourth of July. It was a nice touch, a bit of appreciation. But I wouldn’t take it that far, and say just season pass holders. That’s not going to work.

I look at the season pass as a convenience, plus a little discount, and a way we show support for the Port. It just saves a bunch of hassle for everybody. We already got a discount, exclusive use would need to be priced much higher. And how much higher would that be? $1000? 1500? They have to make up for the single use drive ups.

I don’t know how many season passes the port has sold. If everyone who has purchased a pass showed up, would it be full or overflowing? But not everyone can make it all the time. So now the lot is reserved but half empty?

Port could impose a mask requirement, and enforce it. Lots of retailers have. I’d be ok with it. I don’t have a problem at the grocery, I wear the mask because they ask, and they have to do face to face with strangers all day long. It’s not that big a deal.
My rights haven’t been trampled.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Jul 16, 20 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

Port could impose a mask requirement, and enforce it. Lots of retailers have. I’d be ok with it. I don’t have a problem at the grocery, I wear the mask because they ask, and they have to do face to face with strangers all day long. It’s not that big a deal.
My rights haven’t been trampled.

agreed. to even call wearing a face mask an "inconvenience" is a stretch. to enter a store, we also have to wear shoes, for sanitation reasons. most people have accepted this. someday masks may normal, seems some parts of the world went this way a while ago because they have been through this a few times already.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 16, 20 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

Maskholes! thank god for Darwin and natural selection (see what I did there).

wrong.jpeg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: