Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Help....Heel to toeside foil tack.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 06, 20 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Typical errors are:

1. You think kite is to new side; it's not
2. You think you are sheeted out; you are not
3. Forget/don't pump the back foot to get board around /stay on foil when kite is fully sheeted out on new side.

Thanks for the tips; adding to the list of typical errors.

4) You think you are still 40, you are not.....

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 06, 20 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

apctjb wrote:

Thanks for the tips; adding to the list of typical errors.

4) You think you are still 40, you are not.....

Now, that is just a mean thing to say.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 06, 20 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

60 is the new 40 (thanks to foils).

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 08, 20 5:44 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
60 is the new 40 (thanks to foils).

If one survives the learning curve!

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jul 10, 20 11:22 am     Reply with quote

All good tips. Here's a couple more you can try.

Speed is your friend. The more entry speed you have, the more stable the foil is and the longer you have to complete the tack.

I always let go with my front hand. This allows me to initiate and drive the turn with my front shoulder, head, and eyes, looking towards where I want to exit the tack. It helps keep the board following your eyes, and is like winding up and unwinding a spring.

Keep the board fairly flat, and keep your body fairly upright. It is *extremely* hard to maintain pressure on the board through the apex, if you are carving the board; that is more of an advanced/expert tack. I do most of my turning by pushing towards my toes on my back foot, like steering a Hobie cat through a tack by pushing the rudder away from you.

To initiate the tack, I'm going on a beam reach, perpendicular to the wind, not trying to go upwind. I release the front hand, send the kite kinda aggressively overhead, sheet out completely, and drive through the tack with my shoulder and eyes, pushing away from me on my back foot to turn the board. Once I get around 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through, I can sheet back in, dive the kite, and roll my body to the new toeside edge.

It's a lot to think about, and it's mostly about timing. So if you keep falling in, try something different, sheeting out earlier, keeping the board flatter, coming in hotter, sheeting back in later, diving the kite more aggressively, etc. Occasionally the timing will work, and you'll say "AHA! I got it!" And the next one, the timing will feel completely off (at least it did for me). Just keep practicing, and eventually the timing will make sense.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 10, 20 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

^^^^^ What Scott says - he's the master.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 11, 20 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Occasionally the timing will work, and you'll say "AHA! I got it!" And the next one, the timing will feel completely off (at least it did for me). Just keep practicing, and eventually the timing will make sense.

So true! Sometimes I will get 2-3 in a row and think "ah I final got it" and then proceed to blow the next 50. So random.

Next time out going to focus on doing them one handed... first couple I tried ended with superman's as I downloop the kite or if I had the timing wrong reverse superman's (flying downwind facing the sky).

So many move parts to this ...thanks for all the tips.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: