Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

STOLEN KITES ALERT - Rock Creek
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 02, 20 4:20 pm    STOLEN KITES ALERT - Rock Creek Reply with quote

I was kiting Rock Creek today in Mosier, while someone broke the rear driver side window of my truck and stole kites and bars. I know for certain I had a 16m Peter Lynn Hook with 23-inch Slingshot Sentinel Bar, 12m Ocean Rodeo Prodigy in a Slingshot bag with a 20-inch bar, and a couple other kites I don't recall off the top of my head. Both bars had the small rubber chicken loops. If you spot this gear, please let me know asap. a.benjamin76@gmail.com 916.337.8051 . Much appreciated.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 02, 20 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

The jackass criminals are out just in time for the 4th. Lock your stuff HR..they’re on the prowl.

Sorry about your stuff. Hope you get it back...

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 02, 20 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

A local had their kite bad stolen at ES yesterday. It had some stuff in it. Not sure what. I think we are at the put it all in the car at ES part of the season now.

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
87 Posts

PostFri Jul 03, 20 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

sorry, that sux. guess thieves didnt know that rock creek is locals only...

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 05, 20 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

^^^. LOL Very Happy

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Jul 06, 20 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

Perhaps they did... And were...

www.freeridekiting.com

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 07, 20 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

They might have been working north county before south county. Worth a call.

Screenshot_20200707-201431_Facebook.jpg 

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 08, 20 7:50 am     Reply with quote

deminimis wrote:
They might have been working north county before south county. Worth a call.

Thank you for sharing. I called this morning and unfortunately my gear wasn't part of the recovered items. I'm trying to hunt this stuff down every day like a mad man so any leads that anyone has are much appreciated.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 04, 20 8:12 pm    Got My Gear Back Reply with quote

I got my stolen gear back today. Yesterday I saw a suspicious kite ad on Offerup in Portland, asked the guy for pics, and sure enough it was my gear. I baited him by acting like a legit buyer (saying I took lessons and am new, I've heard Peter Lynn is a good brand, etc..) and even haggling a little bit on price. Most importantly I told him I live in Bull Run and not the gorge, to not raise any red flags.

I got a hold of the police (who I thought would be useless) and told them I have evidence that gear is mine and that I'd appreciate their help but if they won't help, I'm going to drive there, beat the shit out of the thief, and get my shit back. They were surprisingly cooperative and told me to meet the guy in Clackamas or Gresham because Portland PD is overloaded. I sent the cops the time and pin of where me and the thief were going to meet, my outfit and build so they didn't confuse me with the thieves, and they made it happen.

I show up to the Clackamas mall parking lot after an hour drive and meet up with these two fat disgusting crack heads in an old 92 Toyota Tercel. After being fake cordial and small talking (while hiding my rage), the first thing I did was slowly unroll the kite to 1) ensure that the kite was out of the bag so the seller couldn't run with it and 2) give time for the cops to move in. I also made sure to have on workout shoes, athletic tee, and flexible jeans in case shit got violent. The signal for cops to move in was me adjusting my hair. I signaled and after about 2 minutes, I hear screeching tires and 5 cop cars surround the crackheads, telling them to freeze. They get arrested (for one night since jails are too full and COVID) and neither would look me in the eyes. I got all my gear back in the same condition besides the crackhead smoke smell, which will go away eventually. HUGE SHOUTOUT TO THE POLICE - THEY WERE FIRST CLASS THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS.

I've attached some pics in the google link below. Hopefully everyone can glean something from my experience. I never stopped looking on ebay, search tempest, craigslist, and offerup for the last 3 months. Tenacity paid off. 2 years ago, I helped setup a sting for my buddy's kites that were stolen. If any of you ever need help getting your stolen gear back, don't hesitate to let me know. I'm more than happy to help even if it means roughing up crackheads in mall parking lots. 916.337.8051

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hjWdAJ6Ekew3KkKKw-Fn7hY4bDnJKAet?usp=sharing

Last edited by a.benjamin76 on Fri Sep 04, 20 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

fatstixs

Since 02 Aug 2007
55 Posts
The Gorge

PostFri Sep 04, 20 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

Hell yeah!!! Great ending to a crappy situation!

Screen Shot copy.jpg 

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 04, 20 10:21 pm    Kites Come Home Reply with quote

Hell Yeah AB!!!

Well played - and nice to hear the quality finish from the police 🚔 that’s exactly how it’s supposed to work...

Amazing persistence so psyched for you...

Mc

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Sep 05, 20 4:25 am     Reply with quote

Did they Keep your gear as evidence?
I can’t believe they used those resources to help you. I would have thought they would have said it wasn’t worth their time.
Congrats!

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 05, 20 8:36 am    Gear Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
Did they Keep your gear as evidence?
I can’t believe they used those resources to help you. I would have thought they would have said it wasn’t worth their time.
Congrats!

Much appreciated! I got to keep all my gear. I thought so too but they stepped up and helped out

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Sep 05, 20 9:05 am     Reply with quote

That is awesome those thieves got nailed right when they thought it was payday. Great job setting up the sting and getting the backup from the police. No mercy for thieves!

Smile

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 05, 20 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 05, 20 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

Wahoo! Great new when this kind of news seems in short supply! Happy day for you!

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostSat Sep 05, 20 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

Wow that is awesome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: