Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Back to Back Days in the Beartooths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostSat Jun 13, 20 9:02 pm    Back to Back Days in the Beartooths Reply with quote

The Beartooth Mountains offer a unique opportunity every May and June: Access! As the Beartooth Highway is plowed and groomed for summer tourists, snowkite access becomes very easy. The Beartooth Highway offers park-n-ride snowkiting in the biggest alpine plateau in the USA.

My access from Bozeman to the Beartooths is through nearby Yellowstone National Park. Driving though the Park is always fun: Animals everywhere!

Ascending to the Beartooth Plateau, I arrive at the switchbacks, just below the Beartooth Highway’s west summit. Here, I was greeted with fast, carvable snow, smooth 15-20 mph wind, and a feeling of remote isolation high in the northern Rockies. Both days I flew my 13m Ozone Kites Hyperlink V2 and enjoyed a freedom that resonates deep within every kiter’s soul.

Making lap after lap in the fast snow, boosting silky smooth weight-less flights, carving countless slow-mo turns down the line, could the feeling be any better?

Lots of melting has taken place in the two weeks since I was last here and all of the snowfields are considerably smaller or have melted out completely to alpine tundra. The wildflowers are beginning to pop.

IMG_0570.jpg 
   IMG_0551.jpg 
   G0035530.jpg 
   G0026256.jpg 
   G0026036.jpg 
   G0025833.jpg 
   G0025301.jpg 
   G0015108.jpg 
   G0014976.jpg 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Jun 14, 20 7:22 am     Reply with quote

You had me with the bear and buffalo pics! Awesome!
Thumb's Up

runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostMon Jun 15, 20 8:49 am    re: Beartooth Reply with quote

thanks for sharing.. maybe they have freshies now! I am visiting HR/Oregon for awhile and if you go local volcano's I would be interested~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: