Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Arlington Launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jun 07, 20 8:41 pm    Arlington Launch Reply with quote

I thought it might be good to start a new thread on Arlington launch.

It is my understanding that both CGW2 and Port of Arlington are taking a hands off approach with regards to managing access.

Personally I appreciate this approach as common sense says that different rules should apply depending upon how busy the launch is.

That being said, this year the launch has been pretty busy on big days (and it's just the start of June).

When times are busy the standard launch has become similar to Stevenson. Kite holder on the edge of the hillside with kiter below.

A few things I noticed today that I felt deserved consideration.

1) Launches seem to work best with two people. One person manages the kite, the other holds the lines with tension so the kiter can walk around the path without catching their lines on rocks (or windsurfers).

2) Many windsurfers are unaware of how kites work. Some are scared to be around. Others are oblivious of safe spots vs unsafe spots.

3) Plan your landing. Before coming in make sure no one is launching (kiters or windsurfers). If they are then go back out and ride a bit to give them time. Also, if you see others ahead of you wanting to land, let them do so before entering the channel.

4) When launching and landing make every effort to clear the channel as quickly as possible. Especially landing, this can be difficult. Make an effort to work with your kite handler for the most efficient method for clearing your equipment.

5) I saw two methods for landing that seemed to work well today.

5a) If no one is backed up waiting to launch/land the quickest way to clear the channel is for the kite handler to keep tension on the lines by walking the kite upwind in concert with the kiter climbing the embankment with their bar. Once the kiter brings his/her bar to the top the the embankment they can walk directly to the kite where they can then reel in their lines.

5b) If there is a lineup (backlog of people wanting to access the channel) I think a better solution is to have the kite holder bring the kite South (towards the cars) and put the kite down (perhaps holding the kite to secure it until the kiter can access). The kiter can then leave their lines loose on the ground until there is an opportunity between launches/landings to reel them in.

6) Do not place your kite near the ledge in the launch/land area. Keep 2-3' of open space such that people can walk back and forth to launch/land kites.

These are my thoughts. They are by no means definitive. I welcome open discussion.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Jun 07, 20 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

A-town is a dangerous launch. No doubt about it.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jun 07, 20 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:

I wouldn't consider it "dangerous", but definitely advanced.

If you are an intermediate or below kiter this location is probably not safe for you.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 08, 20 12:49 am    A-town swimming tip Reply with quote

Big John - Great topic, Bet it's been BIG lately - (Any Pics?)

This is probably an unnecessary PSA - since few if anyone would be as green and dumb as I was in Sept of 2018 but just in case...

If you happen to find yourself in Arlington and bump into Kai Lenny & Fred Hope's photo shoot, don't forget your brain and know your limits. IF YOU STILL GO OUT into fading winds late in the day on an undersize kite in your first couple weeks kiting ONLY to find yourself swimming in NO WIND in gathering darkness, be notified:

ALTHOUGH THE MAIN CHANNEL AND CURRENT RUNS EAST to WEST, there is a significant reverse current running west to east along the rocks east of the cut.

This may be important to recall, when swimming in your gear, don't bother trying for any specific point of land (like where your car is), just like being in a rip current in the ocean, you have to swim very hard straight to shore to punch thru the current and into the bay so you can self-rescue before bad things happen.

Just sayin' - there were about 45 minutes of side-stroke at least 1/2 dozen POOR newbie decisions made along the way, several of which may have avoided or prevented this last situation. But we are all NEW and let's just say "uninformed" at some point. Hope this helps someone.

Learn the launch - Have a Plan - Know thyself

Just a tip Smile

Mc

Last edited by McLovin on Mon Jun 08, 20 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 08, 20 7:27 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Hein wrote:

I wouldn't consider it "dangerous", but definitely advanced.

If you are an intermediate or below kiter this location is probably not safe for you.

Gnarlington launch was a great addition to the river!

I find the launch very similar/akin to the Stevenson launch--less the soft grass etc etc.

Everything about the surroundings are intimidating as nothing is soft or forgiving.

McLovin wrote:
Big John - Great topic, Bet it's been BIG lately - (Any Pics?)

This is probably an unnecessary PSA - since few it anyone would be as green and dumb as I was in Sept of 2018 but just in case...

If you happen to find yourself in Arlington and bump into Kai Lenny & Fred Hope's photo shoot, don't forget your brain and know your limits. IF YOU STILL GO OUT into fading winds late in the day on an undersize kite in your first couple weeks kiting ONLY to find yourself swimming in NO WIND in gathering darkness, be notified:

ALTHOUGH THE MAIN CHANNEL AND CURRENT RUNS EAST to WEST, there is a significant reverse current running west to east along the rocks east of the cut.

This may be important to recall, when swimming in your gear, don't bother trying for any specific point of land (like where your car is), just like being in a rip current in the ocean, you have to swim very hard straight to shore to punch thru the current and into the bay so you can self-rescue before bad things happen.

Just sayin' - there were about 45 minutes of side-stroke at least 1/2 dozen POOR newbie decisions made along the way, several of which may have avoided or prevented this last situation. But we are all NEW and let's just say "uninformed" at some point. Hope this helps someone.

Learn the launch - Have a Plan - Know thyself

Just a tip Smile

Mc

WORD! It is called a back eddy:

In fluid dynamics, an eddy is the swirling of a fluid and the reverse current created when the fluid is in a turbulent flow regime. The moving fluid creates a space devoid of downstream-flowing fluid on the downstream side of the object.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Jun 08, 20 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
I find the launch very similar/akin to the Stevenson launch--less the soft grass etc etc.

If you get plucked at Stevie then you end up in the water.
If you get plucked at A-town you land on jagged boulders.
There are big waves trying to smash you on the rocks
as you tip toe on the slippery rocks out through a 20ft gap.

If you get hurt out east it's a 60 minute drive to the nearest
Hospital.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 08, 20 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Hospital.

Exactly. It is deceptive, looks easy but when (not if) something goes wrong it gets really ugly really fast. Soon, someone new to the area is going to get very hurt or killed there. There is probably a need for warning signs although that probably won’t help much. Just my opinion from watching.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 08, 20 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Hospital.

All of these are true.

Additionally, the walk through the channel requires you to walk over / around all sorts of windsurfing equipment and windsurfers. The walk down the channel (with big waves smashing into you) includes wood logs and other debris. Add to this, the rocks you are walking on are extremely jagged. They will bruise your feet in a heartbeat. Once you get out past the rock line you are directly in the middle of the zone. Windsurfers and kiters are all practicing their tricks in that little patch of surf. If you have ever been mad that some kiter rode too close to you, or jumped too close to you then you will not enjoy being here. Windsurfers and kiters often stack up two or three fold on the same wave. Add to this that if things go bad there is no easy out. Your only hope is to self rescue up a huge rock embankment, or self rescue a mile across the river to the roosevelt side.

If any of these things scare you then Arlington is probably not the right location for you to kite.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 08, 20 10:37 am     Reply with quote

I avoid the new launch and prefer to launch and land in the boat basin.
When I launch - I body drag with my board tucked under my armpit pointing upwind and I can get out past the jetty in 2 tacks this way.

https://www.tantrumkitesurf.com/body-dragging-board-acdy/

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 08, 20 11:31 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I avoid the new launch and prefer to launch and land in the boat basin.
When I launch - I body drag with my board tucked under my armpit pointing upwind and I can get out past the jetty in 2 tacks this way.

https://www.tantrumkitesurf.com/body-dragging-board-acdy/

I should point out that this is also an advanced launch.

Skinny wind shadowed section of water to get upwind in. It can be difficult to get upwind in there when you have the whole water way to yourself. If there are multiple kites in there it can get trickier. If one person has issues you all have issues.

Also, self landing there is trickier than it looks. It looks like you could place your kite down behind the wind shadowed rock. This is not the case as the water is too deep to stand (at least with my long lines). The current (I don't understand why as this is an inlet) pulls you further downwind. So, if you were to drop your kite behind the rock while swimming the current would likely pull you downwind of your kite at which point you would likely end up pulling your kite towards you where it might relaunch. Not a comfortable position to be in I don't think.

My self landing technique there is to simply pull my safety. Your kite lands in the rip rap and bank plants. This is not preferable. But, if I am too over powered to come through the channel this is my backup landing spot.

If you land someone's kite down there be sure to pull the kiter in to shore where they can stand.

Also, I have thought about throwing my safety while still in the inlet. I could then self rescue at the kite launch or the boat launch. However, if you miss getting into shore at one of these openings you will end up on the pier (or perhaps stuck against a boat). Be sure to tie your lines up clean if using this technique.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 08, 20 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Hospital.

Yeah, I suppose I should clarify. . . Gnarlington and Stevenson are similar in the sense that the launch/land zone is like an aircraft carrier. One in or one out at a time. I suppose you probably could get two to land or launch in the narrow gap at Gnarlington, but that would feel awful unnerving on a big wind day and I wouldn't want to be the downwind person of the two landing or launching.

And they are similar in the sense that there are underwater rocks. More so at Gnarlington.

I agree, Gnarington is gnarlier than Stevenson.

But didn't our beloved Dangler get plucked at Stevenson and landed on the rocks and broke his feet about a decade or so ago? found it. . . and yes he did.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-5586.html&highlight=rock

In the 18 years I've been kiting and living in this area, I've kited Stevenson exactly twice. Yes, it is about as beautiful backdrop for kiting in the Gorge as it comes (or anywhere really) and the west winds are usually nice and steady, but the water is just chop. Not my scene. I much prefer waves and swell and so I'll pick Gnarington 10 times out of 10 between the two. If I ever drop the surfboard and pickup a foil, then I would probably hit Stevenson all the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: