Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rock Creek, now locals (97040) only!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 25, 20 8:45 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
Maybe it’s because we can’t kite so the only exercise we get is jumping to conclusions?

Best statement of the year!!!

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostSat Apr 25, 20 9:08 am     Reply with quote

One of the worst games ever along with "Suck It"

jump2.jpg 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 25, 20 11:25 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
WindSki wrote:
BBC News: Coronavirus: Has Sweden got its science right?
BBC News - Coronavirus: Has Sweden got its science right?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52395866

An interesting article

Spend some time on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Perform different sorts.
I particularly like "Tot Cases / 1M Pop". "Deaths / 1M Pop", and "Tests / 1M Pop"

Ask yourself why there is so much diversity in the numbers. Are some nations simply not affected by the virus??? Or are some nations perhaps not reporting numbers properly?

Next look at the ratio of Total Deaths vs Recovered.
Currently this is 197,246/798,776 which is about 25%

Granted this number does not include the asymptomatic so it is extremely skewed. But it does represent a ratio of closed cases.

Now assuming herd immunity requires 50-70% do some simple math and ask yourself if Sweden got it right?

Nak wrote:
bigjohn wrote:

Next look at the ratio of Total Deaths vs Recovered.
Currently this is 197,246/798,776 which is about 25%

Don't worry too much about that ratio, it's extremely misleading. Death happens much quicker than recovery. Recovery means tests show you're negative for the virus. One, that takes a LOT longer. Two, not everyone who has recovered has been tested. If you didn't need to be hospitalized--the vastly overwhelming majority of cases--then there's a pretty good chance you haven't been tested again for recovery. Tests are in short supply; self-quarantine and we will get to you.

Nak I agree that the ratio I provided is extremely misleading however it is a double edged sword.

My point is that when you analyze the numbers from different perspectives it represents that many countries might be skewing their reported numbers.

I wonder if when this thing is all said and done that many countries might have extremely high quantities of heart attacks, liver failures, or possibly died of natural causes during this epidemic time?

This article sheds some light on my thoughts:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-25/why-the-world-s-highest-virus-death-rate-is-in-europe-s-capital

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Apr 25, 20 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

windfun7 wrote:
One of the worst games ever along with "Suck It"

" well, okay, but that's the last straw"

I want my swingline stapler back! And I saw the squirrels and they were married and then they switch the stapler back to the swing line back to the Boston and then they,......

Back when Jenny was still hot!

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostWed May 20, 20 12:08 pm    Rock Creek/Mosier is still locals only. Reply with quote

Rock Creek/Mosier is still closed to all but residents of 97040.

*If your vehicle has WA plates, for sure you are not local.

Please respect our community.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 20, 20 1:30 pm    Re: Rock Creek/Mosier is still locals only. Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Rock Creek/Mosier is still closed to all but residents of 97040.

*If your vehicle has WA plates, for sure you are not local.

Please respect our community.

But Rock Creek / Mosier residents are free to go kite at other locations in the Gorge ? Evil or Very Mad

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostWed May 20, 20 3:08 pm    Re: Rock Creek/Mosier is still locals only. Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
But Rock Creek / Mosier residents are free to go kite at other locations in the Gorge ? Evil or Very Mad

Nope!

And we don't want them coming to the Metro area either. Not even passing thru on their way to the coast...

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostThu May 21, 20 5:57 am     Reply with quote

Hey Biff, guess what else is closed? Koberg State Park. Every time you launch at Rock Creek your are violating that closure. So, you preach to others about violating a closure while you violate a closure. Why is this OK for you?

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostThu May 21, 20 7:35 am     Reply with quote

So just to try and get some logic out in the open. If there is a local only rule (Post canyon for HR county riders only, Rock creek for mosier residents only...) the idea is to keep people in the area safe and no one from the outside bringing the virus in. Ok. Fair enough and I understand the logic. However, to be fair with that logic, then people from that area should not travel out of the area or they risk getting infected and bringing it back to their area and spreading it there. If you are traveling outside of your area but you are claiming that a section of trail or beach or is to be used only for the people there, then you are actually only protecting your area so that you can keep it to yourself. I don’t kite out of Rock Creek so I don’t have a personal interest in it but thought a bit of logic should be mentioned. The same theory applies to HR county and Post canyon. So only HR county can ride there? That means with that logic, HR county residents should not travel out of the county to shop or ride. I am happy to see HR county residents riding on Hospital Hill but I will also keep riding in Post Canyon.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu May 21, 20 11:49 am     Reply with quote

^^^

I am glad someone pointed this out. If one says stay out of Zone A, then anyone in Zone A should not travel to Zone B, then back to A either. To do otherwise negates the viral spread benefit of isolation.

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu May 21, 20 12:03 pm    BiffMalibu Reply with quote

I noticed on iWindsurf that BiffMalibu is talking about going to Arlington. Does that mean the virus only travels one way? I am sure the elderly people in Mosier will be happy to hear this.

biff.JPG 

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Stoked

PostThu May 21, 20 7:32 pm    Re: BiffMalibu Reply with quote

jayala wrote:
I noticed on iWindsurf that BiffMalibu is talking about going to Arlington. Does that mean the virus only travels one way? I am sure the elderly people in Mosier will be happy to hear this.

Hmmm, and he has Saddam Hussein as his avatar?

Has anyone ever seen BiffMalibu and Saddam in the same room at the same time? And here we all thought Saddam was dead, but now we know better!

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 21, 20 9:57 pm    Locals only Reply with quote

Considering all the talk about how locals should only be kiting where they live and that non locals should not travel to kite....I was able to have a great session at Roosevelt on Wednesday. Parking lot was full. Anyone that was there can attest to it being a wild time on the river.

The whole “local” vs non local argument has good points on both sides. While I am not a resident of Roosevelt I live close by, much closer than anyone from Hood River would have to travel. I did a fair amount of conversation and was kind of surprised by all the People from Hood River. I could care less but don’t understand why people from Hood are so adamant about kiting local but yet make the drive to Roosevelt. Seems a little like a double standard.

Hopefully things will open soon and we can all enjoy the river

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostFri May 22, 20 6:56 am     Reply with quote

The flyer " 97040 residents only " reminds me of signs " whites only". Where is the inclusion, tolerance, brotherhood ? I feel like I am being marked as less of worth. On the other hand, all the ocean shore is public, so isn't it the same with the river. Who gave the "City of Mosier " any right to tell me that I am not allowed to be on the river bank ? That flyer looks to amateurish anyway. I don't believe it's real. Fake news !

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Stoked

PostFri May 22, 20 7:21 am    Re: Locals only Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
I could care less but don’t understand why people from Hood are so adamant about kiting local but yet make the drive to Roosevelt. Seems a little like a double standard.

From personal experience, the double standard attitude is far more prevalent in Hood River than most places. Not even joking.

On the plus side, I guess by extension, that makes the Portland Metro area local to Hood River!

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostFri May 22, 20 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Obakarama, the flyer is "real" as in it was sanctioned by the Mayor and the City Administrator (I emailed them to confirm). That said, I doubt their little decree is enforceable at all. I doubt that any Wasco County sheriff deputies are going to bother themselves to mess with any "non-locals" there.

There's also another small problem with their stupid decree: Much of the beach there at Rock Creek is actually part of Koberg State Recreation Area. Koberg is currently closed due to COVID. Anyone who launches at Rock Creek is breaking that state closure. It's surprising to me that the city of Mosier would encourage it's citizens to break the law.

This whole thing is really stupid and Biffmalibu seems to be acting like just a gloating toolbag. He's actually just encouraging non-locals to visit the place anyway.

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostFri May 22, 20 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Awesome ! Thanks for exposing the real stupidity of the thing. Honestly, I had no idea that little settlement called Mosier would even have a mayor or city office. It only shows the zero need for it anyway. I never kited there nor have any intention to anyway. I am simply surprised there is an extensive debate about something that's easy to miss on the map.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: