Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Rattlesnake attack
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 15, 20 12:18 pm    OT: Rattlesnake attack Reply with quote

HUGE rattler nearly nailed my puppy yesterday near the Klickitat. Riding my bike full out, she was twenty feet ahead of when it struck. Looked like the entire snake was airborne! If it hadn't gone for her, it would have gotten me as I was closer to the right of the trail. It was coiled and rattling like crazy when I passed, moving as far left as I could. Scared the crap outta me. Was going to go farther, but figured I'd turn around while I had an idea where it was. Leashed up the dogs and walked slowly back with my EYES PEELED, but it was gone thankfully.

Thing was bigger around than my arm! Looked like the entire snake was airborne when it tried to strike Kaya. If she wasn't running full tilt it would of nailed her.

IMG_20190429_152842 (2).jpg 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 15, 20 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Scary but thank goodness all was OK - good heads-up! I was biking with a girl in California once when a rattler struck her foot but didn't penetrate her carbon shoe. We almost crashed just from it startling the crap out of us - know the feeling!

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri May 15, 20 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

This guy was at the entrance to my local spot. Wasn't paying attention until I almost stepped on it. Did the dance across the parking lot when I realized what it was.

mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostFri May 15, 20 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

Yup, I was attacked by a good size rattler on the Whoopdee trail a few years ago while climbing out. I didn't realize they could strike out like that. It was coiled on the side of the trail rattling when I rode past it about 4 feet away. I was climbing slowly and when I got almost even with it, it struck out at me. I looked down at my leg and the fangs just missed my calf muscle by about 1 inch. I was shaking for hours after that one.
Lesson learned, stay far away from coiled rattlers!

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostFri May 15, 20 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

My lady got hit by a juvenile rattler while walking on the pavement accessing the mosier side of the twin tunnels. Wrong place, wrong time, lurking in the high grass adjacent the trail. 12 doses of serum and 36 hours in the hospital. Not recommended, keep your eyes peeled.

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat May 16, 20 6:06 am    rattles are for babies Reply with quote

Found this guy on our door step in Underwood. Re-located him to a more scenic spot.

DSC00094 (1280x1178) (800x736).jpg 

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 16, 20 8:33 am    watch out, for real around here Reply with quote

Ya, years ago did downwinder from Mercury Cove (T Bird ) to Roosevelt and got a ride back on 14 alone to the start of the dirt road in. In flipflops and trunks only, hot day, a baby rattler struck at me and just missed by 1/4 inch, I froze in fear, as it so incredibly quickly recoiled to restrike. Without taking my eyes off it, I was lucky to get a rock in hand and end the encounter, as it was rattling out of control, pissed it missed me and was going again. I sat there shaking thinking of how it could have ended up, a 1/4 mile still to walk with heart pumping poison to get to my car, then an hour's drive solo to the hospital. Another one of my "should have died" ordeals, (got a bunch of them now),as I found out the babies' venom is the most powerful. Kinda like a kitemare, when you gotta reflect on what stupid decision you made to put yourself in peril. Think about it

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat May 16, 20 10:44 am     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
My lady got hit by a juvenile rattler while walking on the pavement accessing the mosier side of the twin tunnels.

baby rattlers on the mosier trail is at least not an isolated thing. a couple years ago, i passed two in about 1/2 mile. One i had my head down powering up a small grade, saw something, swerved, realized i missed a rattler by inches, stopped to warn my wife off my line. Then just up the road, another in full on don't fuck with me coiled and ready mode. warned a bunch of people head towards them with dogs off leash.

Also, i remember signs on the lyle trail warning of dogs getting bitten by rattlers. apparently rattlers are common enough on that trail too.

I grew up in rattle territory, and just always walk heavy in the woods to give them the best chance of getting out of the way first. I always imagined them to be like sharks and cougars. they are always there, you just don't seem them that often.

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun May 17, 20 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Hi Dangler, congrats on the new family member! That’s crazy about the rattlesnake. The closest I have seen one to here is on the Lower D south of here.

Question about your picture though, he/she looks pretty young to be running yet, especially keeping up with a mountain bike? Dog’s joints don’t even connect until 9-12 months so you can do permanent damage to their joints and leg bones by rubbing them too early, even if they seem to tolerate it just fine. I know you are a dog lover too so I’m sure I’m misunderstanding something! Happy puppying, can’t wait to play together this summer.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 17, 20 9:48 am    puppy Reply with quote

yeah, that's her a year ago when I got her. she's now as big as my 3 y.o. I just haven't kept up the picture taking.

I've always let them run moderately from six months on, lots of walking up till then. She' runs like rocket now, which probably saved her life!

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun May 17, 20 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Oh yay! Glad to hear it and glad the encounter turned out okay! I’m on the Mosier Tunnels frequently so I’ll be way more careful knowing they are here too. I see snakes often including a giant one 4 days ago, but never a rattler yet to my knowledge.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun May 17, 20 11:11 am     Reply with quote

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullsnake

Not to discount the very real hazard of rattlesnakes, but the bullsnake does a mighty fine impression of a rattler. Including coiling, hissing, striking, and a cool tail vibration. They look enough alike that I back up fast.

A close examination of the head will give a better id, but who wants to do that?

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun May 17, 20 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

Ah thank you for that link. The bullsnake was the one I saw in the tunnels. I didn’t mistake it for a rattler but it was pretty long/big and I couldn’t figure out what it actually was.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSun May 17, 20 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

Glad your pup was warp sleep Dangler.
Speaking of Inflictor’s brushes with death...I saw him learning to kite in Pistol lagoon. He had that pesky windsurfer reaction to pull the bar....almost jumped 101 bridge. 😂
I work in the backcountry for the USFS in the Rogue Siskiyous. Big rattlers in that country.
Here you go:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2315436/surviving-rattlesnake-bite?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=onsiteshare

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 20 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

Some dude on Reddit.

Capture.JPG 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon May 18, 20 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
Some dude on Reddit.

Holy SH*T!!!!

Definitely he is going to have to go strapless for a while.

Aeolus, great read on the rattle snake story. I guess all those women are right when they say, "size does matter." Laughing

StraplessCanidate.jpg 

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 20 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

I was bitten while working on the San Diego/Mexico border doing biology surveys about 15 years ago. It hit my calf but was mostly a dry bite. I pulled up my pant leg (thin nylon pants, fangs went right thru) and had a 3"x4" black & blue spot raised up about 1/4" above the surrounding skin. My coworker asked if I was going to be OK; I calmed down, took a deep breath, and we made our way to the truck 1/2 mile away.

At the hospital they took blood tests, but the bruised area hadn't spread so they figured I didn't get much venom. Blood tests were normal. They held me for 4 hours and sent me home.

Be careful out there!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: