Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Status for Hood River Waterfront access - Updated 5/19
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat May 02, 20 10:16 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
New data from Friday afternoon now stated that WA. Day Use State Parks will NOT open next week in the gorge. They are trying to align the openings with Oregon state parks. Stayed tuned for a very fluid and confusing spring in the Gorge.

Time to get some dump trucks full of sand and start rebuilding the White Salmon Launch Mooney!

www.Purestokesports.com

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostSat May 02, 20 10:37 am     Reply with quote

Finally a good idea!!!!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat May 02, 20 2:52 pm    Notice from the CGW2 Today Reply with quote

*****ALERT - GORGE WINDSPORT UPDATE******

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we thought you should know.

WA State Park Day-Use Areas (The Hatchery, Doug's Beach, Maryhill) WILL NOT open next week in parallel with other WA State Day-Use Parks conditional re-openings.
OR State Parks (Rooster Rock, Viento, Rowena) will remain CLOSED until further notice. Likely late May.
Hood River Waterfront Park remains CLOSED until further notice.
Port of Hood River's Event-Site remains CLOSED until further notice.
The CGW2's Swell City launch-site remains CLOSED until further notice.
Hotels, motels, campgrounds, restaurants, and pubs in The Gorge remain CLOSED until further notice.
There remains a handful of other Gorge City, Port, Army Corps, and private river launches that remain CONDITIONALLY open. If you live close, you already know about them, however, their owners/authorities are highly discouraging non-local visitors. Local law enforcement are being observant will not hesitate to shut these sites down if they become too overcrowded. So, please don't mess it up for the locals.

Thatspec

Since 17 Mar 2008
115 Posts
Ptucky
Stoked

PostMon May 04, 20 7:07 am     Reply with quote

About 4:00 yesterday I did a quick drive by of the waterfront after seeing a few kites out.
There was a couple kite skating in the parking lot at the ES Shocked
About half a dozen vehicles parked in the pay spots at the SE corner of the ES, i.e. the closest possible parking you could choose to walk through to the sandbar. Only saw one local vehicle but certainly don't know 'em all.

The walk out from the spit is only an extra 100' Rolling Eyes
More than a little surprised at the blatant disregard and laziness...

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon May 04, 20 7:40 am     Reply with quote

I am actually enjoying the walk out to the sandbar from the Spit. Reminds me of the good ol' days, inflating my Naish 12m AR5 with the included balloon pump in the hot sun with A-Train, Jerry (aka M.L.) Ian, etc. Kind of a nice warm-up stretch before hitting the water.

Eric

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon May 04, 20 8:53 am    Event site Reply with quote

Yes several people were parked in the pay spots right out side the event site.
But not all were kiters.
Did you see all people with their kids walking in the event site.?
People riding bikes, one wheels etc.... Shocked

treitz

Since 07 Jun 2016
78 Posts
Hood River

PostWed May 06, 20 10:40 am     Reply with quote

I'm hearing mixed responses as to whether or not the Spit parking lot is in fact open to parking. I realize what you're saying here is that kite access is via the spit, but can anybody confirm whether or not they've had issues parking out there?

I know the Event Site lot is closed.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostThu May 07, 20 8:37 am     Reply with quote

No issues parking at the Spit lot in the gravel. It's open, just do your best to add extra spacing between cars, and get out of there when done.

So far from what I've seen everyone is following the distancing rules and not wasting time.

I have seen a number of kiters still walking across the ES grass to access the Sandbar. I don't think it's a huge deal honestly, but because we were told NOT to do it, please, please, please, just drive to the spit and spend the extra 5 min. walking. Otherwise we are at risk to get shut down or not get the ES open. I have a parking pass I'd love to use too, but we need to just all follow the rules.

Laird - thanks for your work here, it's great to have what we have open.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu May 07, 20 11:33 am     Reply with quote

Kites up at Stevenson, is it game on for easterlies?

Chuckster

Since 07 Sep 2018
12 Posts
Tigard

PostSat May 09, 20 12:29 am     Reply with quote

I feel like we are breading paranoia by implementing all these crazy closures!! If it’s ok to Golf why is it not ok to kite??? I think we can control ourselves with social distancing like the sophisticated golfer can!! Don’t you think?? Also Remember your science!!
1. Cars can’t get Covid-19 it’s ok to park next to one another!! Unless we are getting out of our cars at exactly the same time. PLEASE PEOPLE LETS GRAB A BRAIN!!
2. Ultra violet light is part of the spectrum that comes from our sun. Not to mention Gamma rays, and yes X-rays. And many harmful spectrums of light. This is lethal to viruses and pathogenic bacteria. Especially any group of Corona viruses.
3. Remember the wind factor that blows away droplet creating aerosols that might spew from our mouths and noses to others can transmit the disease!! Especially in closed non circulating environments!! (Airplanes, stores, buses). But OUTSIDE is MUCH DIFFERENT The dilution factor just being outside (not to mention being in the wind) cuts them to just about nothing add this to the sun!!!!
4. Ok, we cant or shouldn’t gather round the picnic tables or tailgate at our vans and throw back the brew. But we can be smart about it! Ewww in I think we can!! Let’s kite!!!!

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostSat May 09, 20 5:28 am     Reply with quote

^^^^ What Chuck Said^^^^

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat May 09, 20 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Chuckster wrote:
I feel like we are breading paranoia by implementing all these crazy closures!! If it’s ok to Golf why is it not ok to kite??? I think we can control ourselves with social distancing like the sophisticated golfer can!! Don’t you think?? Also Remember your science!!
1. Cars can’t get Covid-19 it’s ok to park next to one another!! Unless we are getting out of our cars at exactly the same time. PLEASE PEOPLE LETS GRAB A BRAIN!!
2. Ultra violet light is part of the spectrum that comes from our sun. Not to mention Gamma rays, and yes X-rays. And many harmful spectrums of light. This is lethal to viruses and pathogenic bacteria. Especially any group of Corona viruses.
3. Remember the wind factor that blows away droplet creating aerosols that might spew from our mouths and noses to others can transmit the disease!! Especially in closed non circulating environments!! (Airplanes, stores, buses). But OUTSIDE is MUCH DIFFERENT The dilution factor just being outside (not to mention being in the wind) cuts them to just about nothing add this to the sun!!!!
4. Ok, we cant or shouldn’t gather round the picnic tables or tailgate at our vans and throw back the brew. But we can be smart about it! Ewww in I think we can!! Let’s kite!!!!

Agree 100%. I'd also add that closing most outdoor recreation sites near population centers just clusters people in the few that or open, or worse grocery stores, home depot etc. I want to keep people healthy as much as anyone, but the rules need a bit more common sense.

Chuckster

Since 07 Sep 2018
12 Posts
Tigard

PostSat May 09, 20 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

Pass the test with health compliant behavior, spacing out, not loitering or littering, and we will likely prove to the Port and County that opening the larger capacity sites will be a reasonably good idea. Good behavior begets good rewards.

Fail the test by loitering, congregating over beers, parked vehicles sitting all day, and litter/poop left in parking lot, we will likely see everything shut down over night.

——————————————-
So funny!! Great in theory!! So they take away trash cans and lock toilets and take out porta-potties. They restrict parking to certain areas. We can try and do our part but because a few individuals we will all be judged. Haha. Like they want this to fail! Like putting you in a foot race but tie your legs together..

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostSun May 10, 20 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Interesting comments from those that don't live here. Glad there is no wind this week. Follow the state orders.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 14, 20 10:31 am     Reply with quote

Just trying to gauge if i should plan a trip in July. Will the even site open? And if so with what restrictions?

How about arlington, Rufus etc.

Thanks for any info.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu May 14, 20 11:15 am    Summer FUN Reply with quote

Hey Skideeppow!

Funny I always read your handle as one word skidepow vs. Ski Deep Pow makes a lot more sense now...

The $64,000 question (dating yourself if you get this reference) to travel into the US to the gorge to hopefully kite at your fav spot.

Do you have Covid-19? - if YES then NO

Do you have cool kite spots open at home? if YES then NO

Do you have an amazing Youtube vid of kiting in slurpee slush Canadian Ice? If YES then NO

Do you have a TOTALLY SAFE DRYSUIT to wear at all times? If YES then Maybe...

the best advice is NOT always the most FUN - here's to kiting as much and as safely for everyone as possible, if you know what that means you have your answer...

Mahalo,

Mc

2020-05-14_12-04-59.png 

BeatrixKiddo

Since 21 Feb 2012
18 Posts
Washington Side

PostThu May 14, 20 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

Don't listen to McCheeseDick because you won't need a drysuit in July and the river is open now. June will be decent once everyone figures out how to put their diaper on. July August will be fabulous. Masks will be in vogue. Will you be able to eat a burger in a bar? Yes. Can you do it past 10:00 pm? Who cares. Be a considerate and patient human tourist and enjoy yourself. The Gorge will be happy to embrace your dollars, just remember to gripe about all the "dirty visitors" and you'll be an instant local bro!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: