Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Status for Hood River Waterfront access - Updated 5/19
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 01, 20 6:20 am    Status for Hood River Waterfront access - Updated 5/19 Reply with quote

May 19 update.
Event Site will remain closed thru Memorial Day weekend - the Port is targeting an opening of the Event Site later next week (5/27).
Sandbar access is available via the Spit.
Kites can also launch from the Marina.
The Sandbar is getting smaller and smaller.....

The Event Site is still closed.
-> You cannot park there.
-> It's not ok to walk thru the Event Site to access the Sandbar.

Before the Event Site is opened - kiters need to demonstrate they can maintain Social Distancing and follow simple rules.

-> Access to the Sandbar is from the Spit only.

The Event Site is still closed.

Here is what I will be doing.
1. Park away from others.
2. Wave to my friends - keeping my distance.
3. Quickly ascertain kite size, pump, rig, launch by myself.... keeping distance from friends.
4. Shred
5. De-rig, packup, and leave.

I won't be socializing, hanging out drinking beverages, eating, talking to friends about their winter adventures or latest gear. I'm not gonna hangout on the Sandbar, shooting the shit with other kiters, and catch a lot of kites (maybe 1 or 2).

OPEN
The Waterfront Trail through the Event Site is open. 
The Hook- open for River Access.  No Kiting.  Windsurfing and paddling are okay.
Spit and Marina Beach will be open for River access starting this Friday.  Kiting, windsurfing and paddling are okay.
The Marina Boat Ramp- open.
City opening up neighborhood parks Friday.
Schools opening up playing fields Friday.
HRVPR opening up trails Friday.
Bridge Tolls resume tomorrow.  I’m sorry, it was fun while it lasted.

Closed
Waterfront Park- closed.  The Waterfront Trail through the Park remains open.
Marina Park Picnic Shelter- closed.
The Marina- open for tenants.
Cruise Ships- all visits through June have been suspended.
All Waterfront restrooms- closed due to Covid-19 concerns.  Port-a-Potties are NOT available, please plan accordingly 😊
Dog stations and trash cans- currently suspended.  Dog walkers need to bring their own bags and pack out their puppy’s poop.  Leaving the bags on the sidewalks is littering.
Port Concessions are not open.  A set-up date has yet to be determined.  Hang in there you guys!
Events- KB4C and AWSI have cancelled.  Gorge Paddle Champs and SIC Paddle Challenge are pending. 
All kids play areas, restrooms, skateparks will remain closed all locations.
Washington Parks may open next week- Hatchery, Dougs, Maryhill, etc.  It is still to be determined at this time.

Last edited by ldhr on Wed May 20, 20 7:05 am; edited 9 times in total

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 01, 20 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and staying on it. Helps plenty of people a lot in these crazy times.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri May 01, 20 6:34 am     Reply with quote

That is a great May day gift, my couch will be sad to see me go!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri May 01, 20 6:59 am     Reply with quote

Way to go LDHR!

Thanks brother...

Eric

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 01, 20 7:12 am    Thank you ! Reply with quote

@ldhr

Thank you for taking the lead on this and working with the county & port to make this happen .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostFri May 01, 20 7:15 am     Reply with quote

Good work Laird!

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostFri May 01, 20 7:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your work Laird - much appreciated!

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri May 01, 20 8:21 am     Reply with quote

So, this is a test? We all head to the spit or marina and get graded on our efforts?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m super stoked to be able to access the sand bar, but isn’t the idea to spread out? Keeping the event site parking and the West parking lot by Northwave closed, puts us all in the same two small areas.

Is this limited to locals, or did we just hang out the open for business sign? As much as I want to see everybody smiling, mid Columbia counties have a much lower infection rate than the Portland Vancouver.

See ya out there!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri May 01, 20 10:03 am     Reply with quote

This is great to hear. Thank you for all your work on this and communication with the Port. PLEASE, we all need to read ldrs advice at the top of the threat and do the same. NO SOCIALIZING OR CONGREGATING or we will lose access. It's happened so many times on beaches and in parks in other states. If as kiters we can demonstrate that we are responsible and keeping our distance then we can use this as a model for opening up every other spot to kiters. IF WE SCREW THIS UP THEN WE WILL LOSE OUR KITING ACCESS FOR A LONG TIME!! So leave your friends and family at home, get on and off the water quickly and don't hang out at the beach or in the parking lot.

Also, if you are in a high risk group or just want to be extra cautious, it's fine to just stay home until there are more kiting access points.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri May 01, 20 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up A little old school Spit style boys!

Looking forward to seeing all the usual suspects 23M apart.

Be safe....dress for the swim.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostFri May 01, 20 10:46 am     Reply with quote

When does the event site parking lot open for pass holders?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri May 01, 20 11:22 am    Good News Reply with quote

Thx Laird,

This news explains this sight from late last evening - kinda felt it was a sign from the KITE GODS to see this reminder of promises over a sacred place...

Pic 4.30.2020 about 7:35pm looking EAST to Rooster

Stoke meter INCREASING - levels still TBD

Mc

2020-05-01_12-16-06.png 

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 01, 20 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

windfun7 wrote:

To Be Determined next week when the Port has a meeting to discuss.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri May 01, 20 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, it is fair to say that this is a "Test", but this one is not graded, it is a Pass or Fail.

Pass the test with health compliant behavior, spacing out, not loitering or littering, and we will likely prove to the Port and County that opening the larger capacity sites will be a reasonably good idea. Good behavior begets good rewards.

Fail the test by loitering, congregating over beers, parked vehicles sitting all day, and litter/poop left in parking lot, we will likely see everything shut down over night.

Like it or not, your attitude and behaviour will be judged and will ultimately determine if opening up the beaches is a good idea or not.

Treat this access like it is truly appreciated and valued, and neither the Port nor the County will have any reason for concern about eventually opening more local park/beach access.

Just my 2 cents.

Singlemalt wrote:
So, this is a test? We all head to the spit or marina and get graded on our efforts?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m super stoked to be able to access the sand bar, but isn’t the idea to spread out? Keeping the event site parking and the West parking lot by Northwave closed, puts us all in the same two small areas.
Is this limited to locals, or did we just hang out the open for business sign? As much as I want to see everybody smiling, mid Columbia counties have a much lower infection rate than the Portland Vancouver.

See ya out there!

www.Purestokesports.com

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri May 01, 20 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
windfun7 wrote:

To Be Determined next week when the Port has a meeting to discuss.

In case there was any doubt, the Port put out at least 20 new signs confirming the closure of the Event Site. The parking is closed, the grass is closed, the beach is closed.
Let's all respect that. I believe the sidewalk is still open as long as you keep moving along the waterfront path.

It also sounds like WA state parks in the Gorge will remain closed along with OR state parks at least through the end of May.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri May 01, 20 9:05 pm     Reply with quote

According to my data Washington State parks like Doug's and the Hatchery will be opening May 5th

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat May 02, 20 6:50 am     Reply with quote

New data from Friday afternoon now stated that WA. Day Use State Parks will NOT open next week in the gorge. They are trying to align the openings with Oregon state parks. Stayed tuned for a very fluid and confusing spring in the Gorge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: