Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Ethics... KITE? Yes / No / Maybe
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 24, 20 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
And yet it is still so uncommon.

Are you speaking from experience?

Very Happy

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 24, 20 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

I’m not qualifying what’s in the denominator. What I see is irrespective of anything else, at this point Covid deaths = flu deaths x 3

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 24, 20 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I’m not qualifying what’s in the denominator. What I see is irrespective of anything else, at this point Covid deaths = flu deaths x 3

And being it's a corona virus (RNA) like a common cold it's far fetched we'll ever see a vaccine?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 24, 20 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

We’ll see a vaccine, there’s too much money in it not to sell one. Maybe even mandate it, more money, more money. Whether it will be effective or safe is a different question entirely.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 24, 20 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
We’ll see a vaccine, there’s too much money in it not to sell one. Maybe even mandate it, more money, more money. Whether it will be effective or safe is a different question entirely.

So are you against making money, vaccines or both?

I wouldn't be so sure there will be a vaccine. Despite billions spent on extensive research to develop an HIV vaccine we never found one. This is partially because of something called "antibody dependent disease enhancement" where some vaccinated people actually get sicker when exposed to the disease. This same mechanism is a known issue with coronavirus vaccines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody-dependent_enhancement

But vaccine development is easy right? You just slap together a vaccine in your garage and watch the money roll in. We shouldn't even pay those greedy bastards. It's not like they ever save lives or eradicate diseases like polio or measles or anything Rolling Eyes

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 24, 20 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

I’m against predatory unfettered corporate capitalism, you know the people who make large amounts of money regardless of the cost to others and that destroy civility in the process
And sheeple who believe the nonsense propaganda dispensed by them and accept their theories unexamined with little to no training or active work in this case in the areas of immunity or even physiology.
No I’m not an antivaccer, I’m anti unexamined bullshit. You however can ignore my beliefs entirely. They should have less than no effect on your beliefs.

mamann

Since 16 Jul 2007
74 Posts
Gorge East

PostSun Apr 26, 20 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

Here's some good information based on actual data from actual doctors that have dealt with this from the beginning.

Big difference between theory and actual data.

Summary of interview with the doctors at the top and video of the interview at bottom of link:

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/2-whisteblowing-cali-er-doctors-urge-open-society-now-because-lockdowns-are-weakening-our

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 26, 20 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Santa Cruz beaches are open... except you may have to park on the highway.

IMG_1165.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_1165.JPG
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Downloaded:  366 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_1170.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_1170.JPG
 Filesize:  1.8 MB
 Downloaded:  347 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 27, 20 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Santa Cruz beaches are open... except you may have to park on the highway.

Same in Santa Barbara. Parking is closed in some spots but if you can walk to the beach you can kite...

Seems like a reasonable solution to limit potential for crowding while allowing recreation...

drtaamc

Since 24 Jul 2008
118 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 27, 20 1:03 pm    What About Golf? Reply with quote

After reading all the posts about why we shouldn't be out there recreating on our own, in a safe manner, my question is this. Why are golf courses still open??? It seems ludicrous to me that the adventure sport loving crowds are being restricted as to what they can do, while the country club elite are not. Is this just another example of white male privilege? PS I own a set of clubs and I've been a lifelong white male golfer. Just not much into it the past 10 years or so.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 27, 20 1:16 pm    Re: What About Golf? Reply with quote

drtaamc wrote:
After reading all the posts about why we shouldn't be out there recreating on our own, in a safe manner, my question is this. Why are golf courses still open??? It seems ludicrous to me that the adventure sport loving crowds are being restricted as to what they can do, while the country club elite are not. Is this just another example of white male privilege? PS I own a set of clubs and I've been a lifelong white male golfer. Just not much into it the past 10 years or so.

I don't golf but -
Golf courses have imposed strict rules to support social distancing.
Reserve a tee time - people arrive in a staggered system
One person to a cart unless immediate family who live together.
Course Marshals driving around making sure people keep their distance.
Holes have special adapters so you don't need to remove the flag to get your ball.
Ball washing machines are forbidden.

Regarding adventure sports - you will be able to do what you love in the coming week(s).... be patient.

If someone thinks it's not safe for people to be out recreating - they should stay home and stay away from people who are going out. It's very easy to keep yourself quarantined if that's the way you feel.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 27, 20 2:13 pm    Re: What About Golf? Reply with quote

drtaamc wrote:

Why do golf clubs fly free but other sports equipment is a hassle? And who plays golf(yes, among some others)? Old white men. And who makes the rules? Old white men. See any connection yet?

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Apr 27, 20 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

I'm willing to bet that 98% of the people on this thread will someday be old white men (Hell, half of you might even already be. I know I'm fast approaching that status).

The stereotypical rich country club white male image that is being portrayed here is simply not accurate. Ya'll maybe seen Caddyshack a few too many times. The vast majority of golf courses in this country are municipal courses that are patronized by regular folks.

It costs WAAAYYYYYYY more money to be an average kiteboarder than an average golfer.

And don't even get me started on the white privilege thing....

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 27, 20 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

I will edit my post to make the meaning clearer.

Who owns golf courses? Old very rich white men. Who makes the rules? You can guess. And yes, it is/has been related to white privilege.
But so what? It won’t get us kiting any sooner. The reopening will be slow and painful; to others far more than most of us here. We are privileged.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 27, 20 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

Didn’t we cover golf last week? Let’s not get that going again.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 27, 20 6:43 pm    Golf ?! Reply with quote

I am not done discussing golf ! I want to hear how Mark B really feels?

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 27, 20 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

I think it's possible this time off will ultimately make me a better kiter.

I think its easy to get into a rut when you kite all the time. Having this big break kind of forces me to reflect upon my kiting progression. There are a lot of skills I haven't mastered (or haven't even attempted) that I know I could do.

I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about trying out some new moves during this hiatus.

okay - hows that for changing the conversation from golf?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: