Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rock Creek, now locals (97040) only!
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostWed Apr 22, 20 12:03 pm    Rock Creek, now locals (97040) only! Reply with quote

Rock Creek/Mosier is now for locals only (those living in the 97040 area code), by decree of the City of Mosier.

This is due to being overrun recently (today 4/21; Westender predicted this; there were about 15 vehicles parked outside the gate today.), no masks, and no 6' spacing. I thought Westender had a good idea to wear a mask on the beach. It sucked for about 10 minutes; I sweat a lot under a mask.

This locals only decree is a good thing; it's a very small beach, with traffic bottlenecks, and nonresident visitors obviously do not care enough to modify behavior via masks and spacing. As the weather warms, it's only going to get more crowded.

There are old people and others who are at high risk for infection who live in Mosier. Respect the mayor, council, and residents of Mosier. Rock Creek is now locals only; you have to live in 97040 to utilize Rock Creek. Until further notice.

20200424_212557.jpg 

Last edited by biffmalibu on Fri Apr 24, 20 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 22, 20 12:06 pm    moiser Reply with quote

Do they have a enforcement plan?
If its windy and warm this weekend people will show up anyway

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 22, 20 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

Recognized and will be respected.

You might want to notify the CGW2 to make sure that they can spread the word on an official level.

www.Purestokesports.com

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 2:37 pm    Rock creek Reply with quote

I think that’s a good idea! My only question is if the mayor has that authority or if it will be enforced? I know several sheriffs from various counties have basically said to practice social distancing but that Gov Inslee has gone to far as overstepping his constitutional authority and have said they will not enforce his decree.
We really took things for granted before all this!

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 2:41 pm    Rock creek Reply with quote

I think that’s a good idea! My only question is if the mayor has that authority or if it will be enforced? I know several sheriffs from various counties have basically said to practice social distancing but that Gov Inslee has gone to far as overstepping his constitutional authority and have said they will not enforce his decree.
We really took things for granted before all this!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Apr 22, 20 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

first stop Mosier!

fury.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

Seen this more than a couple times over the past couple weeks just driving by on 84. Glad localism still alive to keep all the DBs out of town. Stay home.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2020/04/22/28327157/survey-shows-82-percent-of-oregonians-support-stay-at-home-orders

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 5.02.22 PM.png 

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 4:16 pm    reaction- equal and opposite Reply with quote

I love(literally) both ay's response and Gman's reponse
OMG

Don't be stoopid
Stay home!

Thanks to all who see the science.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 22, 20 4:57 pm    Hot Zip Code Reply with quote

[url] https://www.zillow.com/mosier-or-97040/
[/url]

Mc

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 22, 20 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

https://sos.oregon.gov/blue-book/Documents/oregon-constitution.pdf

I aint no lawyer but... Seems to me that perhaps Oregon's constitution might have something to say about this...

Section 20. Equality of privileges and
immunities of citizens. No law shall be
passed granting to any citizen or class of
citizens privileges, or immunities, which,
upon the same terms, shall not equally belong to all citizens. —

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 22, 20 6:50 pm     Reply with quote

Or maybe just let the Mosier locals, of which I am not one, have a spot that does not require them to travel out of their immediate vicinity.

I dunno man, there are "rights" and there is "doing what is right."

If folks feel that it is both their "right" to travel to recreate, and it is fundamentally the "right thing to do," then I guess have it?

For me, regardless if I can lawyer-up and demonstrate that its my "right," it does not feel like the "right thing for me to do." At least not yet.

Others milage may vary

Eric

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 22, 20 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Or maybe just let the Mosier locals, of which I am not one, have a spot that does not require them to travel out of their immediate vicinity.

I dunno man, there are "rights" and there is "doing what is right."

If folks feel that it is both their "right" to travel to recreate, and it is fundamentally the "right thing to do," then I guess have it?

For me, regardless if I can lawyer-up and demonstrate that its my "right," it does not feel like the "right thing for me to do." At least not yet.

Others milage may vary

Eric

Good points. And for the record I am not one of the outsiders kiting at Mosier... In fact I am still (arrgh) being a good oregonian and following the stay at home orders.

Just seems to me a little reckless of a municipality to choose to go against the direction of both our President and our Govenor and to enact some "local" rules that allow them access to public resources while dis-allowing other citizens the same access.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Just seems to me a little reckless of a municipality to choose to go against the direction of both our President and our Govenor and to enact some "local" rules that allow them access to public resources while dis-allowing other citizens the same access.

Stay-at-home-ish.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 22, 20 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

MikeZ wrote:
bigjohn wrote:

Stay-at-home-ish.

Yeah I get that. But, it still affects me. I live in Wasco County. If a flare up happens in Mosier it will likely impact the timeline the Governor opens up my county. Additionally it will put my family, friends and community at more risk.

Did I nit pick out a potential legal issue simply because I disagreed with the order? - YES.

Do I get that the people of Mosier are feeling cooped up in this challenging time and just want to recreate a little bit? - YES

However, let's get real. There is a single path into Rock Creek. You can't see if someone is coming from the other direction. If it is open people will pass each other in close proximity. Additionally, there is a very small setup location for pumping and launching. Social Distancing rules will be broken!!!

If they had opened it with a reasonable safety plan in place I probably wouldn't even have wasted my time looking for a potential legal perspective.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
However, let's get real. There is a single path into Rock Creek. You can't see if someone is coming from the other direction. If it is open people will pass each other in close proximity. Additionally, there is a very small setup location for pumping and launching. Social Distancing rules will be broken!!!

And that’s my point.

Is the situation serious enough to lock everything down? If it is, then lock it down.

Not just kinda lock it down. Sort of. For outsiders only.

Stay-at-home-ish?! Emphasis on the “ISH”

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostWed Apr 22, 20 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

Close your eyes and imagine YOUR very small imaginary home town getting multiple cases of deadly disease because some sick DB was too cool to stay at home (Hood River? Portland? Seattle?), maintain space, or wear a mask. This would amount to a disaster for any small town. Sun Valley comes to mind.

Closing access to non-locals encourages compliance with the Governor's stay at home order, which have been relatively successful to this point. What a tragedy to prematurely relax and let our guards down and stimulate a second wave of infection. Or a first wave.

Rock Creek is small. You can really safely launch only one kite at a time. Everybody else is forced into small areas in order to avoid lines. Poseurs doing nothing other than standing around telling stories in close proximity, no masks. It's worse than going to the supermarket, where at least SOME people are wearing masks and trying to stay 6' apart.

On a lighter note, Fury Road is the greatest action film of all time. Nothing else comes close.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: